Spit ix flight model question

Finnster

Hi guys,

I find the Spitfire quite touchy to fly- it feels like it constantly has the aft fuel tank filled.

It's like balancing on the head of a pin while riding a unicycle.

Strangely, twichy as it is, I cannot get it to do a snap roll in either direction.

I'm running

Windows 10

Nvidia 1080

32megs ram

intel 9900k Cpu

CH stick, rudder and throttle.

I've been trying to play it in VR, but my 1080 just doesn't have enough power to make it playable on my Pimax 8kx.

November will be new gpu month!

Any ideas as to why it won't snap roll? And should it be so crazy to fly?

(I've flown some aerobatic planes (Christen Eagle, Citabria, and a Chipmunk.)

The Christen eagle was almost scary it rolled so fast and with so little stick, but it never felt 'jittery' and uncertain in the way the Spitfire does for me in DCS. I must be doing something wrong.

Cheers

It's your joystick throw. That's all it is. Remember that in the REAL Spitfire the real flight-stick has a much, much longer handle, I.E. a much longer throw. So for the same type of response you would need a larger movement.

The DCS Spitfire is made to be as close as possible to the real one as far as controllability is concerned. However this does not take into account our very short joysticks, which even with extensions do not come close to the real ones, hence we have a very twitchy plane until you develop muscle memory to compensate for it.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

It's your joystick throw. That's all it is. Remember that in the REAL Spitfire the real flight-stick has a much, much longer handle, I.E. a much longer throw. So for the same type of response you would need a larger movement.

The DCS Spitfire is made to be as close as possible to the real one as far as controllability is concerned. However this does not take into account our very short joysticks, which even with extensions do not come close to the real ones, hence we have a very twitchy plane until you develop muscle memory to compensate for it.

That's likely a big part of it... but the real Spitfire stick only needed a few inches of fore and aft travel for full elevator control. I've got about 3 inches of travel on my CH stick.

My problem with the model is more about its wobbly feeling- it feels a bit like a plane with its C of G too far back. Also... why won't it snap (or 'flick') roll? The Christen Eagle snap rolls nicely.

is it my set up? Or is it inherent in the Spit's flight model?

• ED Team
That's likely a big part of it... but the real Spitfire stick only needed a few inches of fore and aft travel for full elevator control. I've got about 3 inches of travel on my CH stick.

My problem with the model is more about its wobbly feeling- it feels a bit like a plane with its C of G too far back. Also... why won't it snap (or 'flick') roll? The Christen Eagle snap rolls nicely.

is it my set up? Or is it inherent in the Spit's flight model?

Yes, it can be pulled aggressively to stall AoA not comparable to P-51, for example, that is prone to flick rolls.

As for joystick, I would recommend to use saturation keeping the curve linear, because full elevator travel is not necessary.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Thanks guys!

Very helpful stuff. I wish CH products made an extension for their joysticks.

I know you can get one for the high tech thrustmaster stick.

I may invest in one of those down the road. Right now tho' I'll keep working on the joystick profile with your tips and that excellent video. And I won't be playing a lot until I get a new graphics card. My FPS on the Pimax 8kx are awful unless I set the graphics level way more than I'd like to.

cheers

finn