Targets Difficult to See

GAJ52

When flying the A-10C I often use the 'Easy-East Georgia-Spring' instant action mission for refresher training, so I know this mission reasonably well.

I have noticed when flying the A-10C II I can hardly see the two supply trucks until I'm practically on top of them, they appear to be a lighter grey and merge into the ground background, same for the Patrol (second target in mission). If I switch back to using the original A-10C the trucks are a lot more visible - very strange.

GAJ52

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.60GHz | 32 GB Ram | Win 10 Pro 64 | GTX 1080i 11.00MB | Saitek X52 Pro

• ED Team

Hi

Seeing ground targets is difficult in real life, have a read of this book, gives some good insights.

In DCS its about practice, I am sure you will get used to it.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I think the question was why there is a difference in the visibility of targets like trucks depending on the A-10c model you fly the mission with. Is that an intended change included with (and limited to) the A-10c II upgrade for realism?

I think the question was why there is a difference in the visibility of targets like trucks depending on the A-10c model you fly the mission with. Is that an intended change included with (and limited to) the A-10c II upgrade for realism?

Thank you Hive for pointing that out, that was my question.

Why is there a difference between the two A-10C variants in visibility, is this a modification to make the A-10C II more realistic ?

BuzzU - I use zoom

GAJ52

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.60GHz | 32 GB Ram | Win 10 Pro 64 | GTX 1080i 11.00MB | Saitek X52 Pro

Ok, I wasn't sure you used it. I agree it seems harder to see the targets with the new Hog. I don't usually use zoom to keep it real but even with zoom it's still hard to see what i'm shooting. I tend to fly in way closer than I want to because I don't see anything to shoot at unless I do.

Buzz

• ED Team

Not seeing any difference in spotting between versions, and there is no code regarding this that would make it different.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It's a DCS limitation that has existed for years and years. Aircraft and vehicles are nearly invisible until you're on top of them. They tried these 'sprites' a few years back and they were terrible, so we went back to square one.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I've had this problem until I started flying VR. Even on a blurry Oculus CV1, trucks are quite visible in either A-10 version. I sometimes use VR zoom to overcome the resolution limitation, but that's mostly to identify (is it a truck or a doghouse? :) ), not locate. On a screen, the problem is that objects are much smaller than they would appear IRL. This means they're simply not visible when they should be.

Spotting ground targets from the air is hard, even in VR, but a screen makes it even harder.

Why is there a difference between the two A-10C variants in visibility, is this a modification to make the A-10C II more realistic ?

BuzzU - I use zoom

Do you have comparison screenshots?

BuzzU - I use zoom

Well, it is difficult indeed to see stuff sometimes. However, in this special case, the reason for the difference you are seeing is simple: time of day.:smartass:

As it seems, the time of day of this particular mission was changed when it was edited for the A-10C II. The original mission runs in the afternoon, the A-10C II mission runs in early morning. This is why the lighting looks very different, and this is most likely the reason for your target visibility difference.

Cheers,

Fin

Well, it is difficult indeed to see stuff sometimes. However, in this special case, the reason for the difference you are seeing is simple: time of day.:smartass:

As it seems, the time of day of this particular mission was changed when it was edited for the A-10C II. The original mission runs in the afternoon, the A-10C II mission runs in early morning. This is why the lighting looks very different, and this is most likely the reason for your target visibility difference.

Cheers,

Fin

I agree! I found this out by approaching the target at different angles. The sun and other conditions are a factor.

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Zoom and Zoom ?? this was done by a real Pilot ???

Binoculars, yes....

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

As it seems, the time of day of this particular mission was changed when it was edited for the A-10C II. The original mission runs in the afternoon, the A-10C II mission runs in early morning. This is why the lighting looks very different, and this is most likely the reason for your target visibility difference

Thanks I didn't realise they changed the mission for the A-10C II, changing the time of day makes sense why the lighting is different :)

GAJ52

The gaming universe goes circles on this forever. It's not "zoom", it's adjusting your field of view. You're taking 60-110 degrees of view and putting on a monitor that's about a 20 degree cone in front of your face. So everything on your 2D flatscreen is about 1/4th scale of what it would be IRL. Full "zoom" in DCS is what? 20 fov or something, which is actually what a pilot would see, but then you lose peripheral vision.

[6] = {--LWin + Num5 : Snap View 5

viewAngle = 60.000000,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = 0.000000,

x_trans = 0.000000,

y_trans = 0.000000,

z_trans = 0.000000,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

cockpit_version = 0,

},

Default is 60. I assume you unless you're sitting reaaaaaly close more monitor is not presenting a 60 arc in front of your face...

In DCS:

CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,140.000000},

From good old wikipedia: The visual field of the human eye spans approximately 120 degrees of arc.[1] However, most of that arc is peripheral vision. The human eye has much greater resolution in the macula, where there is a higher density of cone cells. The field of view that is observed with sufficient resolution to read text typically spans about 6 degrees of arc.

Anyway, let's not use this thread to debate the numbers, countless threads already exist for that, only point I'm making here is, you're taking 60-110 degrees FoV in DCS and shrinking it to fit on your monitor. "Zooming" in DCS lowers the FoV to 20 which we be about what your monitor is in front of you and would depict what it should look like size wise.

Case in point, the HUD in a real A-10 is about 2/3 the size of my real monitor, so, that's actually how big it should be at scale... Zooming so that the hud is 2/3rds my monitor is anything but cheating, it's how it should look. It's just unplayable for a video game as you get no peripheral vision at that point.

This is why VR is the future. :) You get 1-to-1 head movement, the better headsets have around 110 degree FOV, and even the ones that don't clip the FOV, rather than compress the view. You get pretty much the same view a pilot would have IRL, if your headset is up to task.

I still use zoom, but only because I have a crappy Oculus CV1 headset, which gives me a visual acuity I'd never be cleared for flying with IRL. Sometimes I need that for identification (and reading small text :) ). I expect not to need that once I switch to Reverb G2.