A-10C vs A-10C ll

BuzzU

A-10C vs A-10C ll  

97 members have voted

1. 1. A-10C vs A-10C ll

• A-10C
    • A-10C ll

Dos

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I drift towards the A-10C ll. But I must say my renewed interest in the warthog with new upgrade has opened my eyes to some really good stuff that is in the old A-10C. The gun is super.

The new flight model just make the warthog module a lot of fun to fly.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

The King is dead ....Long live the King!

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

Everything OLD is NEW AGAIN!

I purchased the Original DCS A-10C in 2011. It is fantastic to have such a classic module get updated this way. I hope the response has been better than EA expected, and they will be doing similar $10 upgrades/refreshes to the other very old modules like the Huey, F5 and F86 etc.

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

For me I lean towards the A10-C II, got to love that HMCS and the laser rockets. :D

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I voted for the A-10C II, because it is arguably "better" as the APKWS is a game changer for capability (more so than the laser maverick and laser JDAM). The Scorpion helmet sight is also amazing.

All that being said, they are so close to each other overall and so well modelled that owning either is well worth the spend.

I can't get along with the Scorpion Helmet sight. I don't know how it is with VR but I use Trackir. The sight lags behind Trackir. If I want to look out the side of the cockpit with the sight my head is looking at the back of the plane and the sight is straight out to the side. That means I have my eyes pointed as far back as I can. That's really uncomfortable and I can't hold it for long. Since i'm blind in my right eye it's impossible out the left side of the cockpit.

I also have problems with the coolie switch. Even after programming it like it should be it doesn't work right. It works ok in the A-10C.

So, for me I prefer to fly the old Hog but i'd rather fly the Viper/Hornet if I can't use the new Hog. Not so bad for just $10. I'd be upset if I had paid more.

btw The head tracker in the Hornet and Viper work perfect and i can see them fine because they follow where i'm looking and don't lag behind like the Hog.

Buzz

I can't get along with the Scorpion Helmet sight. I don't know how it is with VR but I use Trackir. The sight lags behind Trackir. If I want to look out the side of the cockpit with the sight my head is looking at the back of the plane and the sight is straight out to the side. That means I have my eyes pointed as far back as I can. That's really uncomfortable and I can't hold it for long. Since i'm blind in my right eye it's impossible out the left side of the cockpit.

I also have problems with the coolie switch. Even after programming it like it should be it doesn't work right. It works ok in the A-10C.

So, for me I prefer to fly the old Hog but i'd rather fly the Viper/Hornet if I can't use the new Hog. Not so bad for just $10. I'd be upset if I had paid more.

btw The head tracker in the Hornet and Viper work perfect and i can see them fine because they follow where i'm looking and don't lag behind like the Hog.

Yep, I'm struggling with the Scorpion + Track IR too. I never noticed the issue with Viper/Hornet, but with the Scorpion, at high angle of head yaw, I have to turn my head one way and and my eyes in the opposite direction to keep the Scorpion pointed at the right spot and actually look at it myself - rather unnatural and uncomfortable.

I find things more comfortable with A-10C to be honest. But then I really don't even enjoy using the Tpod that much. Maybe I'm more of an A-10A kind of person. Feels like too many of the DCS birds are just Tpod bomb transports. I kind of prefer old school I guess.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Or what do I need the new one for?

(It's rhetorical, by the way.)

I'm not complaining about the II. Just not sure I needed the new toys.... yet. But it took me eight years to start enjoying the Hog at all. It'll likely change.

Edited by wowbagger

Yep, I'm struggling with the Scorpion + Track IR too. I never noticed the issue with Viper/Hornet, but with the Scorpion, at high angle of head yaw, I have to turn my head one way and and my eyes in the opposite direction to keep the Scorpion pointed at the right spot and actually look at it myself - rather unnatural and uncomfortable.

I find things more comfortable with A-10C to be honest. But then I really don't even enjoy using the Tpod that much. Maybe I'm more of an A-10A kind of person. Feels like too many of the DCS birds are just Tpod bomb transports. I kind of prefer old school I guess.

Sounds like you could get better performance out of TrackIR with a little help on setting Axis Ratios, Curves, Dead Zone, etc...

Great video by Jabbers:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Sounds like you could get better performance out of TrackIR with a little help on setting Axis Ratios, Curves, Dead Zone, etc...

Great video by Jabbers:

No, it's simply how the two systems work together. The Scorpion will always be in the centre of the display, and the Track IR works by turning your head (ie, away from centre). So there will always be the weird sensation of turning your head one way and your eyes the other.

My axes work well and are comfortable for every other aspect of flight simming. Trying to adjust to minimize this would make them far too sensitive for normal use, I suspect. The problem isn't as evident in the Hornet/Viper/Blackshark because I tend to be looking at smaller angles from centre with those, minimizing the problem.

Not every product they sell is intended for everyone to be fair. While TrackIR certainly has its limitations and I agree its not as easy to use with the HMCS as say VR would be, imagine all the people without headtracking at all trying to use their joystick PoV hat to lock target and set a SPI :o I wouldn't even try. Doesn't mean they shouldn't implement it, but folks without TIR or VR certainly may not opt to buy it.

No, it's simply how the two systems work together. The Scorpion will always be in the centre of the display, and the Track IR works by turning your head (ie, away from centre). So there will always be the weird sensation of turning your head one way and your eyes the other.

My axes work well and are comfortable for every other aspect of flight simming. Trying to adjust to minimize this would make them far too sensitive for normal use, I suspect. The problem isn't as evident in the Hornet/Viper/Blackshark because I tend to be looking at smaller angles from centre with those, minimizing the problem.

I found a workaround. It's not ideal but works. Program a modifier. I use the paddle switch. Then program the trim hat when using the modifier. Put all the views on the trim hat when using the modifier.

Now when you want to use the Scorpion. Pause Trackir, hold the paddle, and look around with sight with the trim hat. It's nice and steady and right in the middle of your view. No straining to look out the side of your eye. Like I said. It's not ideal but works.

Buzz

I found a workaround. It's not ideal but works. Program a modifier. I use the paddle switch. Then program the trim hat when using the modifier. Put all the views on the trim hat when using the modifier.

Now when you want to use the Scorpion. Pause Trackir, hold the paddle, and look around with sight with the trim hat. It's nice and steady and right in the middle of your view. No straining to look out the side of your eye. Like I said. It's not ideal but works.

Nice work around, good idea. Thanks.

Actually I do use something similar with my mouse. One of the buttons on my mouse toggles TrackIR on/off, another switches between mouse pointer and mouse view control. Then I use the mouse to look around in the same way you use the trim hat. Like you said it isn't ideal at all. But it works. I might try to come up with a macro that pauses track IR and switches mouse control with a single button press and reverts back to normal when you let go of the button.

I think there are enough Track IR users to warrant ED looking at some kind of adjustable bias system as skypickle suggested - simply move the center point according to how far you look in that direction with a slider to adjust how much offset should occur. That would solve the problem. What are the percentages of TrackIR users vs VR users I wonder?