Missile accuracy

steelrfan85

Not sure what is meant by "accuracy", but put simply the best two are the A mk.60 and C mk.47. The A mk.60 uses the smoky, but higher performance, mk.60 motor which gives it the most range. The C uses the low-smoke (but less powerful) mk.47 motor. However, the C has a higher resistance to chaff vs the older seeker on the A. The A Mk47 has a smoky, less powerful motor and has the worse seeker so its pretty much the worst.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

There is no "best", AIM-54A Mk60 and AIM-54C have pros and cons which should be probably more evident when the new WCS is released.

See if this helps: AIM-54 Probability of Kill model.

NOTE: just be aware of the fact that the model is 14 months old (23/08/19) and HB has tweaked a couple of things since then. The big change will come with ED completes the new missile API.

Edited by Karon
full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

Initially 54As were only reserved for fleet defence missions. CAP were flown with 4*7+4*9.

Only the 90s did the 54Cs were cleared for Tactical engagement (i.e dogfights).

Currently all 54 varients are pretty much the same in respect to tactical engagment. However, the C had much better processors.

I have no evidence but I assume that the Cs had better guidance logic allowing it to have better energy management in flight and better logic in terminal guidance. (In additional to better ECCM and probabaly much smaller doppler gate and better target re-aquesition)

Currently all 54 varients are pretty much the same in respect to tactical engagment. However, the C had much better processors.

If you mean in game (as the missile is retired) no not really. The resistance to chaffs coefficient was tweaked a couple of times a few weeks ago (dig into the patch notes and forums to find the details), but in-game, the A Mk60 performs much better due to the simple yet massive advantage given by its much more powerful rocket motor.

Finer tweaks, new API, new terminal guidance, new WCS may change this overnight, of course.

I have no evidence but I assume that the Cs had better guidance logic allowing it to have better energy management in flight and better logic in terminal guidance. (In additional to better ECCM and probabaly much smaller doppler gate and better target re-aquesition)

Again, if you mean RL yes (or better, "I guess so", as I am ignorant on the matter), in-game no. Just look at the details provided by HB: the C performs better vs chaff on paper, yes, but DCS does not simulate ECM and EECM with the necessary depth for this to be a game changer. Not at the moment.

One year later (1y 10d to be precise) after the announcement of HB finally getting the missile API, we still do not have the new implementation WCS and corollary stuff. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, I don't care about waiting many months more, as long as the final product is on par with the rest of this great module.

I admit I'm curious to see how different it will be from the AIM-54 we currently have though.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

As of currently. Pretty sure in DCS all variants have same CCM, if the C is better it really is that marginal its not distinguishable. At some point it did feel like the C would resist to chaff a tiny bit more. Very marginal difference, but now feels exactly the same.

Any missile is pretty easily spotable from 40nm if you zoom , even 120s. So taking the C is pretty pointless if you have the Mk60.

Mk60 is the best if you are talking about pure performance. As even if the 54C was slightly better in the CCM department well they all share the same notch filter of 200knts.

When the new API hits, all of them are going to have superior kinematics to now , but worse electronics. Hopefully there will be a distinguishable difference between the A variants and the C.

The C does have the edge in CCM (0.04 vs 0.06 iirc) but its not much. Also Id assume you mean 20kts?

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

The C does have the edge in CCM (0.04 vs 0.06 iirc) but its not much. Also Id assume you mean 20kts?

No , 200 lol. Not kidding its pretty bad . Got changed like 2 months ago. No way its 0.04 for the 54, seems way to weak for that . If you have the location for CCM on the 54 be great if you shared it, not been able to find it.

If you have the location for CCM on the 54 be great if you shared it, not been able to find it.

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\F14\Entry\Weapons.lua

This contains all the stuff for the F-14s missiles etc

Also from checking it its actually 0.05 for the C.

HP Z400 Workstation

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\F14\Entry\Weapons.lua

This contains all the stuff for the F-14s missiles etc

Also from checking it its actually 0.05 for the C.

Quite a meme. I swear I looked all over for this file when the Tomcat droped and this wasnt there , wonder if it got moved or wasnt a visable file for the Heatblur versions. As here it was just the old ED AI 54 beforehand. Gave up after that lol ... Thanks for the path.

The CCM is intresting then as the value it states of 0.06 and 0.05 dont feel anything like that in game. Feels much worse even considering this is old API.

The more recent change with the notch filter deffo hasnt helped it either. But at the same time the seeker has overperformed for the longest time due to the new API version not being able to be released.

Speculation time:

CCM on the WIP 54 code (No varaints) CCM is 1.0 . Comparing to Sparrows the 7F is 3.0 and the 7M and MH are 0.5. My guess is that the 54C could be on the same level as the M and the 54A maybe is better than a 7F or if not on its level I would assume.

Edited by DarksydeRob