F 18 Hotas Functions

My 72 yr old brain was having trouble remembering all the functions on my Warthog throttle so I grabbed the illustration of it from the online manual. Popped it into paint.net (a free download upgrade to Windows Paint) and added my own labels. This is an early version. I keep the current version sitting on my desktop.

48918007898_015d02bf21_z.jpgThrottle by craig stuard, on Flickr

So I typed this up from memory as a first crack at some kind of unified guide. It's totally possible I've missed some things, this is a rough draft. If anyone sees something wrong or that I missed let me know and I'll update it. Text in red are functions that are not implemented yet in DCS but I know and understand what they do.

There's a bunch of other stuff not in yet related to pages and features we don't have (and may never have in some cases). If I don't fully understand how the feature works, I didn't include it. The Az/El page will bring a few additional HOTAS functions for the radar and A/A FLIR, There are TDC Slew functions on the SA and HSI pages, a waypoint slew function for adjusting waypoints on the HSI, and a MAP Slew function on the HSI that has something to do with map alignment.

I had a realization last night that an illustrated quick-reference guide might be easier to make on a per-page basis rather than a per-switch basis like is typically done with the Hog and Viper. I'll try to draw up something like that.

Hornet HOTAS Guide.pdf

• Like 2

Thank you. I always wondered why the Hornet with so many weapons had such a simple HOTAS setup. I see why now.

Although you have to admit the A-10C ll has a lot to remember now. I never saw so much jammed onto a few switches.

Buzz

Nice Bunny. Some other HOTAS functions we'll get somewhere between now and 2025:

- Castle right should invoke the Attack format on the RDDI unless that display can take TDC priority (e.g. HSI, SA, FLIR, Az/El, AG weapons). Initializes to A/G radar in NAV or A/G and A/A Radar in A/A

- Castle left in A/A master mode invokes Az/El format, with the same caveat as above.

- Castling toward the Az/El will do various things depending where the TDC is, including STTing a trackfile (technically not AACQ I don't think, only acquisition of a specific track under cursor) and swapping the priority Az/El sensor between the radar and FLIR

- (not sure if correct for our OFP) castle left in NAV or A/G invokes Stores format

- (not sure if correct for our OFP) castle toward Stores in A/G invokes appropriate weapon format if applicable

- TDC depress on HSI should make a TGT at current aircraft position

- Undesignate button L&S behavior should work independent of TDC assignment

- You should be able to TDC depress with cursor to designate L&S on the SA format

- Rang scale should be able to be 'bumped' via cursor on SA just like Attack format

Edited by Jak525

Made a first crack at a HOTAS diagram for the radar page, since that'll be the most complex. I'm thinking of this as more of a reminder / refresher type of reference, rather than primary a learning tool, so I leaned heavily on symbology. Maybe too heavily? Does this make sense to people?

471303110_HornetHOTAS.jpg.3b7df7a916e3f1c5db05b4ca0e926fb3.jpg

Made a first crack at a HOTAS diagram for the radar page, since that'll be the most complex. I'm thinking of this as more of a reminder / refresher type of reference, rather than primary a learning tool, so I leaned heavily on symbology. Maybe too heavily? Does this make sense to people?

This is really great! Symbology is fine, makes for really quick reference.

Z390 MB | i7-8700k | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB m.2 NVME | 1TB SATA SSD | AsRock 6900XT | PowerMac G5 Case Mod | HP Reverb G2 | AKG K500 | TM Warthog | Virpil TCS Rotor Base w/ Constellation Alpha | Virpil MongoosT CM2 base w/ MongooseT grip (soon) | MFG Crosswind pedals | 3x TM Cougar MFDs

nice

but the first not implemented is actually implemented i think

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

nice

but the first not implemented is actually implemented i think

Yes and no. Everything that has to do with bumping the SCS towards the radar (AACQ and FACQ only for now) is kinda iffy. Even AACQ sometimes ignores the highest ranked trackfile for something random. But indeed, SCS towards the radar with an L&S successfully puts it in STT, most of the time. Probably.

• Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

thanks for doing this awesome hotas guide!

if you dont mind, here are some suggestions:

o FLIR: NWS x2 switches VVSLV / snowplow

o FLIR: throttle thumbwheel -> zoom

o ATTK RDR: throttle thumbwheel -> elevation

o SCS depress: manual IFF interrogation (for the time being SA & ATTK RDR)

o TDC depress required during cursor slew in some circumstances, mainly weapon seeker slew, i think; maybe that could also be indicated? -just a suggestion from the top of my head using your symbology:

TDC depress - as is

TDC slew - remove triangle, add bold circle line

TDC depress & slew - both above

anyway, just some thoughts.

cheers

Yes and no. Everything that has to do with bumping the SCS towards the radar (AACQ and FACQ only for now) is kinda iffy. Even AACQ sometimes ignores the highest ranked trackfile for something random. But indeed, SCS towards the radar with an L&S successfully puts it in STT, most of the time. Probably.

Yah, it's hard to tell what's working as it should right now, as functions don't behave consistently. I've had "FACQ" with an L&S behave like AACQ and lock a different target enough times that I think when it does acquire the L&S it's just because the L&S happened to be the track AACQ picked up. Maybe.

HILOK[/b]]

FLIR: NWS x2 switches VVSLV / snowplow

Ooo, that's definitely one I should include, thanks!

For some of the controls that have only a small number of simple functions, like the Antenna Elevation wheel and SCS Depress, as well as things like Weapon Release and Trigger, I'm thinking they may not need to be included because they're fairly easy to remember. Or should I just do everything for the sake of completeness (or because what I think is easy to remember isn't relevant to other people)?

For some of the controls that have only a small number of simple functions, like the Antenna Elevation wheel and SCS Depress, as well as things like Weapon Release and Trigger, I'm thinking they may not need to be included because they're fairly easy to remember. Or should I just do everything for the sake of completeness (or because what I think is easy to remember isn't relevant to other people)?

I vote for completeness, so Antena Elevation and SCS Depress should be definitely in.

Am I correct in thinking that in ACM mode, SCS functions are yet again different if GUN is selected weapon rather than any of the missiles (or is it GUN is selected AND JHCMS is on?)?

When the Gun is selected, the radar is always in the ACM condition and cannot be exited. With a missile selected, the ACM condition is selected via Sensor Control Switch forward. But once in ACM condition, behavior is the same with regard to the Sensor Control Switch. It is however a tad confusing because the logic for the Gun / ACM is slightly wonky/broken right now. Hopefully will get fixed soon, though it works pretty ok now.

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/F/A-18C#Air_Combat_Maneuvering_.28ACM.29_Modes

Ah, OK.

What was confusing me was this

• Vertical Acquisition (VACQ) - Aft (when HMD on only from WACQ)

i.e., the "only from WACQ" part. I kept trying to command VACQ right after switching to guns, and with the helmet sight on was not getting anywhere. I thought the weirdness was due to the gun being selected ... but it really was because the helmet was on AND the gun was selected. Strange logic though (why only from WACQ if HMD on??).