Please let us have option for rendering from single viewpoint for both eyes in VR

Acherat

As performance in VR got to new low in maps like Syria, please let us be able to render game for one eye(viewpoint) only for both eyes. It will dramatically increase performance, for the loss of stereoscopic depth. However, I know our eyes will adapt very quickly and its not noticeable after a couple of seconds. It is so important for us to at least be able to maintain stable 40 fps, which so many of us cant do even with powerful GPUs and CPUs of nowadays. Rendering only one viewpoint should practically get us on par with nonVR version(minus couple percent for additional tracking of HMD etc.).

I've tried different soulutions to emulate this setup, and it has proven very effective way to get stable high fps (80) with all settings to high. My first solution is to run game at nonVR, and use opentrack for headtracking with input from Oculus rift runtime. Then run virtual desktop. This produces very good visuals and fps, however opentrack is not tracking 1:1 even if you set all axis at 1:1. Theres another problem with this solution and that is, you can see the virtual desktop in front of yourself, so the games screen is not completely projecting to your HMD screen. Second solution is to use VorpX. VorpX works very good, however, it attaches into executive file and therefore you cant play multiplayer. The problem with opentrack tracking still persist but you can enjoy very high visual quality at very good fps. VorpX is also paid program so thats a another no for other users that dont have it bought.

Ok, but why single viewpoint is not so important for DCS?

As we play aviation game, we tend to look at things which are very far away. The furthurer you look, the less perspective(depth) you are able to perceive. Generally, we can say that whenever we look outside cockpit, we would not see much (if any) the difference with rendering both eye viewpoints VS one eye viewpoint. Downside is obviously loss of depth in the cockpit, but your brain adapts to it very quickly.

I dont care about SS, I have it at 1.0, even effects and other settings. But for the love of god, I just can't enjoy game at 25fps in VR. It can be just experimental, optional or only through command or something. But please let us enjoy this game with our HMDs without getting sick from motion sickness due to the extremely low frame rate. It really is a small price to pay for a giant leap in performance.

Hello, try running DCS in non VR while in your HMD and use Virtual desktop/ or any other app that lets you see your desktop while in VR. Youll see the difference.

BTW if you would like to see how it would look like, go to settings>VR> set force IPD distance to 0. However it will still render the same image twice so no performance gain, just to see how it looks and feels. Maybe try flying like that for a while.

Edited by Acherat

What's the point of VR without stereoscopic images? At this point it's better to switch to monitor and track-IR, and you gain both in resolution and FPS.

Full-Face-Track-t-IR :) (sorry Mehdi)

Cheaper option: stream to phone / nail phone to baseball cap!

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

What's the point of VR without stereoscopic images? At this point it's better to switch to monitor and track-IR, and you gain both in resolution and FPS.

Well, the first point is that a lot of us do not have trackIR and will not buy it for the overpriced price. Second point is that monitor will not give you correct FOV/ will if you set it but youre still lookng at the monitor so its not like in VR headset. Its vastly better to use headset VR HMD due to natural head movement/orientation.

And thirdly - it's much easier to reference where you're looking in VR to external objects if you need to glance in the cockpit and then back out again. With TrackIR - it can be much harder to reacquire the same position. :-)

I have both TrackIR and VR - VR even without the stereoscopic images would be far better for dogfighting and the likes with quick glances back in and out again.