32 bit normal maps

Taz1004

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was something done, or is anything planned with regards to this problem? Because this is a problem.

I get my 10 GB of VRAM eaten up easily and a few minutes into loading the mission a complete lagfest begins, which might be a problem of interaction between WMR and SteamVR, but it looks like it's enabled by excessive memory usage.

• Windows 11 Pro, RTX4090 (24GB), 5950X @ 4.3GHz, 64GB RAM @ 3000MHz, M.2 SSD 8TB, Pimax Crystal
  • Modules and maps: All of 'em. (It's a problem...)

@NineLine please ?

• Like 4

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• 6 months later...

The way DCS handles texture sizes is really terrible and a huge waste of performance.
Another aspect of it (or maybe a side effect) is that you cannot really use graphics options to weaken the impact of missing optimization: I don't know how it is on VR, but on flat screen you basically have to run high texture settings, because medium settings are such a mixed bag: Some texture look decent, some look really, really terrible. Same with terrain textures: Here it is a little bit map dependant, but the concept is the same: Some textures are decent enough on "medium" some are really terrible.

I suspect that the medium settings are just a reduction at a fixed factor and that there was zero manual tuning involved. It's a shame: If you have some pity with your visual cortex, you simply cannot run medium and are more or less forced to clog up your pipeline with unoptimzed 4k textures...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, twistking said:

The way DCS handles texture sizes is really terrible and a huge waste of performance.
Another aspect of it (or maybe a side effect) is that you cannot really use graphics options to weaken the impact of missing optimization: I don't know how it is on VR, but on flat screen you basically have to run high texture settings, because medium settings are such a mixed bag: Some texture look decent, some look really, really terrible. Same with terrain textures: Here it is a little bit map dependant, but the concept is the same: Some textures are decent enough on "medium" some are really terrible.

I suspect that the medium settings are just a reduction at a fixed factor and that there was zero manual tuning involved. It's a shame: If you have some pity with your visual cortex, you simply cannot run medium and are more or less forced to clog up your pipeline with unoptimzed 4k textures...

This. I already said it, changes from high to medium looks random, examples:

- A10C II: the changes from to medium are hardly noticiable but then, you set medium and, by example, the fire pull handles texture has a very low resolution

- AH-64D: same as A10C II, barely noticiable from high to medium, then the textures of text plates below the MPD or the textures from seats side protection has an horrible resolution

- F-16C: here is different, differences from high to medium are insame.
Thats some differences in cockpits but it happens the same on the outside textures are a total mess, terrains same, ground textures on low on Syria is horrible and full of extrange patterns that dont happen on PG or Caucasus

• Like 2

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier