Oculus Quest 2...buyer beware!

Jarhead0331

So I bought one of these on impulse. I have a Vive, Rift-S and HP Reverb with a G2 on order, but I wanted to give this a shot since it gives me the flexibility of being able to play in any room and link to the PC for an improved experience over the Rift-S...

I should have done a little more research first. It seems that very few Oculus titles are "Cross-buy" meaning if you bought them for another headset, they will be available in your library on a new headset. I was shocked to discover this. I just assumed that titles in my library would be there on the new device without having to buy them again. Not so. I'm hoping that when I get the link cord to connect the Quest 2 to my PC that my steam VR games will be playable.

In addition, I already ran into a Facebook issue. So, in my haste to set up the headset, I accidentally linked my facebook account to the wrong oculus account. Of course, this seems to be irreversible. God forbid they create a simple unlink feature. After spending about 45 minutes online with customer support, I was told there is nothing they could do. So, after literally telling them to kiss my ass, I ran a factory reset on the device, after all, I had only just set it up, and then I just linked the right account to another facebook profile I have. This is how I found out the hard way that most of my games are not "cross-buy" because after going through that hassle, still none of them were there...and yes, you read that right. In order to "logout" of my account on the device, I had wipe it out with a factory reset! Crazy!

...and that's not all. Something else to piss people off? You've got to pair the headset with a mobile device. Yep. You need to download the Oulus app onto a mobile device and pair it with the headset just to use the headset. Ridiculous!

Still, it is pretty cool being able to move around from room to room. But this was really a totally unnecessary $400 purchase for me. First world problems I guess.

• Like 1

And... most importantly how does it do with DCS? (Coming from a rift s owner)

The otherwise reason to upgrade to Quest 2 by previous owners that what it does for rest of the Oculus experience if wanted to game DCS as well?

Quest 2 is not just for a DCS or Oculus store, and many like to know what the downside of the Facebook account means.

I really hope there would be a way to Oculus community force Facebook reverse their greedy business tactic.

Personally I wish that Oculus sales sank so badly that they sell only 5-10% of expected just because that facebook thing.

But people don't vote, why I don't hold my hopes up.

I had faint recollection that you got some games crosslinked that if you had Rift version, then you got Quest version too. But it was back in time when both were different stores instead same.

But clearly you still need to buy both variants, for desktop and for mobile versions of you want to play those with and without cable.

This is one of those things why Quest is not so considerable upgrade path from Rift S as you are forced to leave behind your Oculus game library, and only buy the Quest 2 for sake of DCS.

And that is not something that many is ready to do.

This is what means the SteamVR route is the way to go in the future, as very likely there is coming a similar wireless option too, challenge is just how to connect it with Steam in a similar manner as Oculus managed to do with their store.

Steam client exist for mobile devices but there are no mobile games for Steam android or iOS app as it is just a store/friends/community stuff. Just now they have started to add more support to Valve's other feature they started in 2015 with Steam Link and Steam Controller, that you could play your games on TV using Steam Link (wireless or wired).

Before they killed Steam Controller and Steam Link, they made transition to Steam Remote Play, that started to aupport other controllers than just Steam Controller and you got example XBOX or Playstation 4 joypads connected similar way (but they are not at all as nice and useful as Steam Controller is with two touchpads), as well keyboard + mouse and even joysticks.

The latest thing is that Steam supports now Remote Play function. And if you have a PC that runs steam, you can have a Android, iOS device running a Steam Link app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.valvesoftware.steamlink

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/steam-link/id1246969117

And so on stream games from your PC to mobile devices, as well to your TV running that app!

Now, think about what happens if Valve would add a capability stream SteamVR games over a WiFi or USB-C to wireless VR HMD?

What if a major next feature is to offer a SteamVR devices with dedicated CPU and GPU, an upgradable M.2 drive or just even a SDExpress slot, so you can install a Linux compatible VR games on that and run anywhere with it?

That would be the major gameplay move from Valve, one corner reasons to push forward with Linux as no windows license or running it on device as you get tiny footprint requirement for SteamVR and capability so same mobile VR experiences for that side.

First step was to be wireless streaming in same network. A Chromecast kind experience for everything that Steam offers for VR, including DCS World.

The next step was to support Steam Link over Internet (works great btw).

So leave your home PC On and you can play at park your games there.

So anything left is wireless VR stream. Very hefty delay limitations but... If you run the game from HMD itself, you can overcome requirement for whole streaming, leaving it to just check your license from your Steam account....

That would be Valve's response to Oculus/Facebook Quest and really push Facebook out of the VR market.

And it is as well big experience to DCS users to consider in future what to buy.

I have now 2 year period to transfer my VR experience from Rift S to some other VR from SteamVR side. And Facebook account did it.

While DCS World is my main reason for a VR. It is not the only one. Luckily most my VR games are from Steam, so damage is minor but annoying.

Sadly there isn't as nice drop-in replacement to Rift S from SteamVR side, but as Facebook managed to ruin Oculus devices anyways enough, it will not be impossible.

Modules: A10C, F5, F14, F16, F18, F86, AV8B, UH1, Mi8, Ka50, FC3, Supercarrier, CA, P47, P51[/Quote]

Please, add that to your signature in DCS forum, as no one is interested that what modules you own when quoting you, as they just need to delete all that to keep post neat and friendly for others to quote.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Some titles one may have bought for the Rift line may be available for Quest, but not many.

Games for the stand alone Quest are not up to the same caliber of games made for the Rift line.

Hence why one may have to purchase the game again to get the version made to run acceptable on Quest standalone.

The Link cable will give access to the Oculus library of titles for Rift.

Also some are apparently having good experiences using Virtual Desktop to play their Rift games wirelessly.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Be warned, I created a new legitimate Facebook account with the intention of buying a oculus quest 2, all went well and I logged into Facebook no problem and assumed all was OK. I have an Oculus Rift S and decided I would Merge my account with Facebook as requested by Oculus.

The next day Facebook suspended my Facebook account stating I can't use Facebook because your account activity on it, didn't follow our community standards. They also required further ID proof like a picture of driving licence and phone number verification which I reluctantly provided. Now Facebook say "your account has been disabled, you can't use Facebook because your account activity on it, didn't follow our community standards. We have already reviewed this decision and it can't be reversed. Now I cannot log into Facebook or Oculus so I cannot use my Rift S and Oculus games until this mess is sorted.

• Like 1

I'm loving my Q2, and now trying to find the fine line of best visual quality / performance with my 1080Ti via Link (I've already had VirtualDesktop running and have been playing games like H3VR and Onward wireless the past week... absolutely LOVE being able to see things so clearly!)

That said, I could not get VirtualDesktop to run DCS wirelessly; so I've had to end up on Link as that's the only way the Oculus software sees the HMD and will output DCS (because reasons... only had this issue with DCS thus far)

I've had to reinstall Oculus Tray Tool and bump up my encoder resolution as for some reason it was incredibly low by default from my Quest1, and so far... it's been fine sailing.

Encoder set and running at 3684, and running PD 1.5 in DCS.

Pretty awesome to be able to actually read incredibly small text and finally see AND READ the text on MFDs.

Edited by XCNuse

Be warned, I created a new legitimate Facebook account with the intention of buying a oculus quest 2, all went well and I logged into Facebook no problem and assumed all was OK. I have an Oculus Rift S and decided I would Merge my account with Facebook as requested by Oculus.

The next day Facebook suspended my Facebook account stating I can't use Facebook because your account activity on it, didn't follow our community standards. They also required further ID proof like a picture of driving licence and phone number verification which I reluctantly provided. Now Facebook say "your account has been disabled, you can't use Facebook because your account activity on it, didn't follow our community standards. We have already reviewed this decision and it can't be reversed. Now I cannot log into Facebook or Oculus so I cannot use my Rift S and Oculus games until this mess is sorted.

Oh my..... Welcome our device overlords....

This is exactly the problem that Facebook account users are facing. If you create an Facebook account just for Quest 2, make it private/hidden (I don't even know what that means) so it wouldn't be "so visible" (if someone explains that better, it could help) and you are not going to use it for anything else. It will eventually drop to the filter "your account activity on it doesn't follow...." and they can close it.

That is seriously very very.... How to say, terrible risk and possibility, as can be seen from that story.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thank you for adding your experience to this.

I said No from the beginning to Oculus because of facebook's forcing you to have an account anyway - but this just helps to confirm I've made the right decision.

It will be interesting to see if this ends up breaching any local laws in some countries. Yes - facebook have T&C that people click 'I agree' to, but if those T&C aren't legal in some countries - facebook could find themselves in hot water.

But then again - like usual - they'll probably just pay the millions in fines which is small currency to them and continue on as normal anyway.

Will be interesting to see if a 'jailbreak' comes out for these devices that allows them to run independent of facebook, but for me - just not worth the trouble.

The Earth is only 6,300 years old. - Really?! Every summer stretched across the night sky is the Scutum-Centaurus Arm of the Milky Way. In order for you to see that, the light has been traveling for about 13,000 years (+/- 1.8 K for the width of the arm).

Mmm, we can see the light (or better telescopes can) from galaxy's 10 billion light years away but still the earth is only +/- 4,2 billions years old. Same goes up for your equation above. If the earth would be only 6300 years old, nothing would prevent you to see the light of an object 13.000 years away.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I'm loving my Q2, and now trying to find the fine line of best visual quality / performance with my 1080Ti via Link (I've already had VirtualDesktop running and have been playing games like H3VR and Onward wireless the past week... absolutely LOVE being able to see things so clearly!)

That said, I could not get VirtualDesktop to run DCS wirelessly; so I've had to end up on Link as that's the only way the Oculus software sees the HMD and will output DCS (because reasons... only had this issue with DCS thus far)

I've had to reinstall Oculus Tray Tool and bump up my encoder resolution as for some reason it was incredibly low by default from my Quest1, and so far... it's been fine sailing.

Pretty awesome to be able to actually read incredibly small text and finally see AND READ the text on MFDs.

Please I just bought a used Quest to try VR and I am very pleased other than not being able to read MFDs etc.. Is there that much of a difference between the two and would you mind give your the most important setups for a better experience? I do own a 1070Ti.

Please I just bought a used Quest to try VR and I am very pleased other than not being able to read MFDs etc.. Is there that much of a difference between the two and would you mind give your the most important setups for a better experience? I do own a 1070Ti.

Can you clarify what you mean between "the two?" Not sure I follow.

1070Ti will certainly struggle a bit more, at 1.5PD and the VR default settings I'm fairly positive even I am barely pumping 60FPS let alone 90 (granted until further notice the Q2 is at 70hz for the time being until it's unlocked; same with hand tracking [not sure why yet but.. that is the case])

I'm generally not that aware of what it takes for a good VR experience, I .. rarely ... fly DCS in VR, like once every half year or so, so I'm definitely not the best in terms of what's recommended to improve your experience.

That said doing a small amount of research it seems as though MSAA and the "filter" doesn't seem to improve performance; at least according to most people. Hence why I ended up just ending back up at 1.5PD and no AA because it made things the most legible for me personally.

EDIT- ohhh did you buy a Gen 1 Quest, a black one?

If that's the case you very likely will not be able to read the MFDs, I didn't catch the used part.

The resolution on it is significantly lower than the new version; and being pentile OLED ... makes it even more difficult to read things.

Edited by XCNuse

Sorry to hear that some people have been having trouble with their Quest 2's. I am have having fun with my Quest 2 and DCS with Virtual Desktop (although my 13 year old Q6600 CPU only gives me about 24 FPS in VR) The Quest 2 is an amazing piece of technology for the price and you can read all the dials and screens almost like being there.

One fun thing I did in the A10C is stick my head thought the floor and release that in the A10 you are basically just riding on-top of a giant cannon!

Really makes you appreciate the power between you legs!

Screen_201021_144352Crop.png.2cdde5072c74b3d81fd588dbc3096182.png

I'm hoping to treat myself to a new gaming rig with a AMD ZEN 3 in it for Christmas! then I will be playing in VR all the time.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

It is certainly going to be interesting to hear how the Quest 2 does with Link in DCS going forward

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Please share what settings you end up with. I am struggling a bit to get ok results. I also have a Q2 and 1080ti. Rest of system is 3700x and 32 gb ram and ending up with 33-36 fps and a bit of stuttering. It acally runs smother on VD that with usb cable.

If you want to launch the game in VD right click on the streamer icon on your desktop and select launch game from there =)

The Quest 2 has better resolution, which means exponentially more pixels to draw. Our 1070 Ti is not able to handle it unfortunately. It already struggles with a low end CV1, and I'm not even talking about DCS yet. In DCS, CV1 + 1070ti you can get 45fps stable flying alone with virtually everything on low in the Syria map.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Mmm, we can see the light (or better telescopes can) from galaxy's 10 billion light years away but still the earth is only +/- 4,2 billions years old. Same goes up for your equation above. If the earth would be only 6300 years old, nothing would prevent you to see the light of an object 13.000 years away.

Yes the light from 10 billion ly away is 10 billion years old i.e older than earth no problem there. If the universe were only 6300 years old the light from 13 000 light year distant object would have reached us yet and thus we woud not see it. Here is a problem.

Please share what settings you end up with. I am struggling a bit to get ok results. I also have a Q2 and 1080ti. Rest of system is 3700x and 32 gb ram and ending up with 33-36 fps and a bit of stuttering. It acally runs smother on VD that with usb cable.

If you want to launch the game in VD right click on the streamer icon on your desktop and select launch game from there =)

Sorry for delay, I hardly ever get on this forum.

Make sure that you run OTT or the Oculus Debug Tool. I had set mine to 3684.

That said, at 1.5PD my 1080Ti was DEFINITELY struggling on a simple mission (was on the F16 cold start Caucasus mission); I was running at the default VR preset.

I ended up giving up and going down to 1.3PD for the sake of framerate which brought a lot of it back up to a reasonable amount of ASW usage.

Going to up the 1.5PD though really made things incredibly clear, but yeah, my 1080Ti was steamrolling a bit haha

You should have done your homework on the Quest 2 before buying. It's not for everyone, but if you can live with Facebooks Terms of Service, it's a fantastic device. Definitely the cheapest way to get into VR. Wireless gaming (non PC) is also fantastic. I often lock my office door and chill out with VR golf, fishing or table tennis during my lunch break.

I have a Reverb G2 on the way which i'm sure will replace my DCS needs, but Quest 2 is a fantastic piece of hardware. I have constant 36 fps while flying in Syria too. R5 3600, Nvidia 2070 super 32 gb ram, SSD

I cannot wait to see some DCS benchmarks with AMD RX 6800 that have 16GB V-Ram, also paired with a AMD 5900X cpu it should run DCS VR alot better than current top GPU and CPU's.

• Like 1

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

I'm considering a full AMD upgrade too: 6800xt and 5800x maybe.

Might not be a bad idea, certainly worth looking at.

Don B

Update. After uploading a copy of my driver's license to facebook to prove my identity my account suspension is now permanent. BE AWARE if you are new to facebook you may be screwed.

Yikes!

Did they give you a reason?

Don B