Oculus Quest 2...buyer beware!

Jarhead0331

Update. After uploading a copy of my driver's license to facebook to prove my identity my account suspension is now permanent. BE AWARE if you are new to facebook you may be screwed.

You should contact Oculus support. If you've done nothing wrong, they can usually get you back on fairly quickly.

I ha to scan my passport a few years ago and send to FB. Some security issue was flagged (no idea why), and I got back on within about 30 minutes. Had my account for 13 years, though.

I love so much my Quest 2, working better in DCS than my Rift S since Firmware 23 is live, and at 90Hz

Wow that is really interesting.

Much as I hate to I am actually considering getting a Quest 2 - just to have for my Oculus games I enjoy from time to time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

This is what it shows when I try to login:

You can't use Facebook because your account, or activity on it, didn't follow our Community Standards.

We have already reviewed this decision and it can't be reversed.

To learn more about the reasons we disable accounts visit the Community Standards.

When I created my account I searched for Eagle Dynamics and then later I searched for Oculus Quest 2. That's it. This was before the ban hammer got me. I will try to call them tomorrow and see if there's been a mistake or if anything can be done.

I would like like to try out the Quest and retire my old HP headset (1st gen).

Sorry to hear you got banned....Facebook really is a sh**y company.

• Like 1

I have the Quest 2 and so far DCS is a hot mess in it, lots of micro stutter and I only get about 35fps on the ramp. I'm running it with an i7-6700k 32gig of ram, a dedicated SSD drive and a 3090 FE. I am not using the official link cable, that may be a factor.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

As a rift s owner I wanna hear more about this! Performance and clarity comparison

Here's some of my own thoughts about DCS World with update v23 on Quest 2.

I have the Quest 2 and so far DCS is a hot mess in it, lots of micro stutter and I only get about 35fps on the ramp. I'm running it with an i7-6700k 32gig of ram, a dedicated SSD drive and a 3090 FE. I am not using the official link cable, that may be a factor.

What USB are you running? Can you do a USB test in the Oculus software? I'm getting 2.9 Gbps.

I run an AMD 3700X, 16 GB, Gigabyte 2070 Super and game on the SSD. I haven't looked at frame rate but I've not noticed any stuttering when using the standalone DCS World, which launches in Oculus VR mode.

Are you launching game in steam VR?

What is you settings in Oculus Debug Tool and your rendering resolution and frame rate set on the PC Oculus app? It's in devices > Quest 2 and under graphics preferences.

I am getting 2.4Gbps with an anker USB-C cable, I am running the game from Oculus home,and I am using the standard Quest 2 resolution. I am not using the debug tool, I cant remember where it is lol.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Update. After uploading a copy of my driver's license to facebook to prove my identity my account suspension is now permanent. BE AWARE if you are new to facebook you may be screwed.

Wow. Sorry to hear - but thanks so much for the update. Depending on your country's laws - you should be able to get a refund on the product since it's not working as advertised. Facebooks policies don't override local laws - and if the local consumer agency, etc deems it's not working as advertised regardless of what they say - you may be entitled to a refund anyway.

I know steam tried doing something (different - but similar) in that they had a policy not to provide refunds. People purchased games that wouldn't work as advertised - and wanted refunds coz it wasn't fit for purpose here in Australia. Steam denied it due to their terms and conditions - and the local consumer affairs office took them to court over it - and steam lost - was forced to refund and got fined multi-millions of dollars in the same process because a companies T&C doesn't strip consumers of their rights under local law. I can only assume how much worse it would be for a company to remotely disable a working device for what's happened in your instance if you were in Australia. Obviously if you're in another country local laws will apply - but I reckon it's worth fighting.

I think it's also worth spreading this news in a few tech magazines too. Regardless of whether people agree or disagree, love or hate Facebook - I think we can all agree that it's in everyone's best interest for people to know and be aware of things like this prior to making their purchase so they make a purchase on an informed decision.

I have sideload the 23 firmware in my quest 2, and since it's day and night, I have set the quest at 90hz in the pc app and the game run smoth, I can easily read my hud and mfcd (Jf-17 user), I have 2.8 gbs in usb 3 test

I lose some fps compared ton the rift S but I have higher resolution. you wont have something like the G2, but you will have better than the Rift S and far less screendoor effetct (almost gone, you really have to try hard to see it)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 3:14 AM, Dangerzone said:

Wow. Sorry to hear - but thanks so much for the update. Depending on your country's laws - you should be able to get a refund on the product since it's not working as advertised. Facebooks policies don't override local laws - and if the local consumer agency, etc deems it's not working as advertised regardless of what they say - you may be entitled to a refund anyway.

I know steam tried doing something (different - but similar) in that they had a policy not to provide refunds. People purchased games that wouldn't work as advertised - and wanted refunds coz it wasn't fit for purpose here in Australia. Steam denied it due to their terms and conditions - and the local consumer affairs office took them to court over it - and steam lost - was forced to refund and got fined multi-millions of dollars in the same process because a companies T&C doesn't strip consumers of their rights under local law. I can only assume how much worse it would be for a company to remotely disable a working device for what's happened in your instance if you were in Australia. Obviously if you're in another country local laws will apply - but I reckon it's worth fighting.

I think it's also worth spreading this news in a few tech magazines too. Regardless of whether people agree or disagree, love or hate Facebook - I think we can all agree that it's in everyone's best interest for people to know and be aware of things like this prior to making their purchase so they make a purchase on an informed decision.

Work is starting here to make a common EULA all the companies\services will have to adhere to rather than making a huge one for everyone. 

90% of these EULA's are pretty much invalid anyways though, cause you cannot op out of the law!

Edited by Bob_Bushman
  • Thanks 1

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

On 11/16/2020 at 8:44 PM, blksolo said:

I am getting 2.4Gbps with an anker USB-C cable, I am running the game from Oculus home,and I am using the standard Quest 2 resolution. I am not using the debug tool, I cant remember where it is lol.

Just in case you haven't tried this yet...

Nvidia control panel, Vsync to fast 
Oculus UI under devices render resolution to max 5408 x 2736
I am still running a 1080ti so I bumped it down to 72Hz and run a DCS PD of 1.0, and now I can run MSAA

For me it's a big improvement from the S. I think its because of my wide IPD of 72. Plus it just works great. Starts up every time and just click on DCS in the virtual desktop, never had it so easy.
One great feature is the ability to double tap anywhere on the headset to activate the pass the thru cameras. It's easy to see the keyboard for server passwords, or find my wine during a loading screen.
It did force me to put my wine/whiskey in long neck beer bottles to facilitate the transfer process while using the pass thru.

Miles
Edit: I think you may have to select the betta version in the Oculus home to get the latest firmware.

Edited by MilesD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/03/10

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

I too have gotten a Quest as getting hold of G2 is less likely for the moment, and I "just wanted a toy".

It was pretty much the only toy in stock to get at the moment.

The standalone is great, huge update to the q1, and the controllers are worlds apart from the q1 and Rift-S controllers.

I honestly can't find fault with them, in say beat saber I'm not missing blocks cause the controllers weren't keeping up, but because I suck, I do suck, in the S it was both.

Now for using with link, as a PC headset, I'm honestly getting less sold by every attempt.

The increase in resolution is big, Like almost be able to read the little pressure gauges by your left knee in the tomcat, with no zooming, and performance isn't much worse than the Rift-s.

There are a lot of circumstances that seems to affect this.

First, I need glasses, -5/-6 and with the Quest I'd be using the glasses spacer., this does seem to detract FOV and misalignment of the lenses, "a little weird"

Contacts would be great, but is expensive.

It works without but it is a tight fit between my glasses but everything seems much closer to how the lenses feel in the S.

Ditching the glasses spaces hugely increases the comfort as well, moving the main pressure points of my cheeks and onto my brow.

Quite honestly I suspect the spacer only exist so they can point fingers at you if you scratch your glasses or lenses while not wearing it.

Using it is a pretty big downgrade.

Unlike above, it does not "just work".

I only have a singel USB-C port on my  z370 , it 'should be' a 3.1 gen 2 controller.

Buuut, it's also an Asmedia one, running the test I do sometimes get 1.9Gbps, but if I run the same a few minutes later I could get no more than 1..5Gbps.

It also noteworthy that my Rift-S also never liked this connection.

Asmedia is notorious for corner cutting when it comes to USB's, I had hoped they had gotten a grip lately with the introduction of VR, but guess not.

There is nothing else taxing this controller.

I have since tested using an anker cable and not the oculus actual cable on a different port, the front port on my cabinet even, and that reaches so far a stable 2.5 and that had far less stutters, and less ASW transfer issues.

I have ordered a StarTech USB 3.1 gen 2 expansion card so will be intriguer to see if that is an improvement.

Overall though, I don't think the extra hassels of using link is worth the increase in resolution over the S.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

• 3 weeks later...

wow, just wow,, I have a lot of friends who went to vr flying, and if I do, I want a record to look up to remind me to stay away from this nightmare connected to Facebook... looks like I will never combine FB with video... now if I forget, this will remind me to not get screwed. Staying away from politics... but,,, watch what you support. I   am sorry for those that got the royal screw, to me sounds like some very bad companies selling vr's.

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR