New DCS forum

coldViPer

Wow, it have a slightly different look what you think? ;D I kind of like dark theme.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

It's all less functional than before.

With the old style, you could see everywhere which thread in which subforum was posted in last that you haven't read yet. Now you have always to navigate to at least the thread list to see that. In the forum overview, you see the last posting in that section, but you don't actually see in which sub-forum it was made. That's a bit pointless, imo. I used to skim over all subforums by just looking for the latest posings in thread that I might find interesting. Now I have to navigate in and out of each sub-section ...

Directly jumping to the last not yet read posting is not available everywhere. I guess, this will be fixed soon...ish. In the News section and here in Customer Support, you only see the name of the last poster in a forum or thread, but you have to hit a 4x4 px icon to go there (instead of just automatically getting there by clicking the thread name link).

• Like 4

Yeah, I feel like I could get used to it, it does seem we've gone back in time a bit with the design.

Personally, I feel like the older design was a lot more functional. Also looks like the signatures have all disappeared...

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

It's different and will take a little while to get familiar to the new layout, but it's usable.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Its terrible. I thought the dark mode would at least make it usable.

The forum subcategories take up 4x as much screen space and you have way more to scroll through. A ton of wasted space every post- even a single sentence post takes up a massive amount of screen.

This is objectively bad.

• Like 1

Yep, harder to keep situational awareness of the different sections and unread themes. Nicer looking, modern, better aesthetics, but a bit less useful for me. Dark theme is nice, but typography is worst there.

Maybe it's still WIP, I guess.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

It sucks, because exactly this:

With the old style, you could see everywhere which thread in which subforum was posted in last that you haven't read yet. Now you have always to navigate to at least the thread list to see that. In the forum overview, you see the last posting in that section, but you don't actually see in which sub-forum it was made. That's a bit pointless, imo. I used to skim over all subforums by just looking for the latest posings in thread that I might find interesting. Now I have to navigate in and out of each sub-section ...

Directly jumping to the last not yet read posting is not available everywhere. I guess, this will be fixed soon...ish. In the News section and here in Customer Support, you only see the name of the last poster in a forum or thread, but you have to hit a 4x4 px icon to go there (instead of just automatically getting there by clicking the thread name link).

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

+1, the forums job is to present infomation in an easy to view and navigate manner, it does neither and is a massive step backwards

• Like 1

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

It's much better than the old version on my phone, & if you squash your window horizontally to as narrow as it will go, it's fine

If you full-screen your browser on a monitor - I preferred the old version.

Shame you can't swap between layouts depending on the platform you're using.

Cheers.

I preferred the old one as well, and the new one lacks contrasts a lot, it's literally hurting in the eyes to read. The only upside is that there is a dark mode which makes it better at that point, but the overall layout still lacks for the reasons given already by others. If the design is being worked on (=customized), it might get better though.

Anyone noticed the reputation thing is back in some form? rdlaugh.png.7250edf8ba911b525bd989f271bdbd89.png

Oh, and the vertical alignment of smileys (= images) is weird, they're not aligned to the bottomline of the text properly rainbowdashwink.png.b72ea50a803b9092d67fd2a71bae7263.png

Edit: That's just in the editor frame apparently.

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Anyone noticed the reputation thing is back in some form? [ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\trdlaugh.png Views:\t1 Size:\t2.4 KB ID:\t7112956","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7112956","data-size":"full","title":"rdlaugh.png"}[/ATTACH]

It was back and then it went away again, though you can 'like' posts.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Well, it's still there on the dark theme, but I don't see the Like anywhere fsgrin.png

One thing that could be better though: When trying to link images, there's an option called "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" which is ticked by default, everytime. That makes the forum get the image and upload it on their webspace instead of hotlinking them. Might bloat up the thing after a short while. I'd set that to off by default if I could.

Another thing that is bothering me is that we can't open up reply tabs to specific posts anymore, somehow the thing is kept in a single tab with middle clicking links not working anymore, probably because it's triggering javascript trash instead of being actual links. Absolutely not great in wholesome conversations when you want to reply to multiple things with a single post. Well, I guess it's the times where everything has to work on a cell phone nowadays. Only real advantage of that is that the letters are big enough for me to read because their sheer size. Still the contrasts, allegiant to the absolutely horrible Metro Design that Microsoft (Google and others alike) force upon us, consisting exclusively of 50 shades of light grey. Kinda funny how one of the big players pushes a new design scheme and literally everyone else is "parroting" that time and again...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Well, it's still there on the dark theme, but I don't see the Like anywhere fsgrin.png

You're right, it is there on the Denim and Dark themes, just not the default one, seems odd...

As for like, it's in the bottom right of posts, next to flag and quote.

One thing that's bothering me at the moment, is that multiquote seems to have gone, and trying to quote a post when you already have another present seems to delete your message. It' not too difficult to work around it, just getting the hang of it.

System:

After using it a bit, definitely I lost control and utility with this new forum. I can't pick like before "mark this section read", I can't easily find threads any more, even the ones I wrote, I can't clearly see the "unread threads" any more either in default or dark theme, it's kinda mess. A bit of that is on me, I know, my brain is not what it used to be, but I believe it's less useful now than it was.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

While i have lost a little functionality , i do find that the "search" function now works on my tablet for the first time . My biggest gripe is lack of commmunication regarding the change . I thought it was my ISP , ED server or tablet defaulting to a lower data-usage mode , and wasted time trying to troubleshoot .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I'll get used to it, I suppose. But one question, is there a Control Panel like before? where only my subscribed forums would show up? When I got to My Subscription, it shows individual messages (it looks like) I'll keep poking around, but was wondering if I'm missing something.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

This. I'm NOT a fan of the new layout or design.

• Like 1

I don't care about the new theme/design. However the layout is horrifically bad.

• Like 1

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Just found that with the new forum , i don't have to disable Google Play store to get rid of that annoying "Tapatalk" spam . The "autosave" is a nice feature as well ! Starting to think this is a good thing !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2