New forum vs old forum

QuiGon

New forum vs old forum  

374 members have voted

1. 1. New forum vs old forum

• Old forum was better (desktop user mostly)
    • New forum is better (desktop user mostly)
    • Old forum was better (mobile user mostly)
    • New forum is better (mobile user mostly)
    • Old forum was better (desktop/mobile user)
    • New forum is better (desktop/mobile user)

The new forum theme and layout... meh. However, I can't believe there is no clear indication to find the threads with new posts.

Seems sorted now. :thumbup:

Still not a fan of the new theme, "shrug" it is what it is.

Edited by Sarge55
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

It's still awful, but it started out worse. There are still many issues, the board list looks horrible, there's no easy way to skip to the last page of a thread, and I'm getting this annoying "flicker" when the window can't decide how many lines it should have. If they can get us the old layout back, or something close to it, I'll be happy.

Mobile might be a requirement, but for a community like that, widescreen is important, too. We're flightsimmers, you know, the people with multiple 4K screens, top-line PCs and all that jazz! Nobody's flying this thing on a laptop or mobile. Some fly VR, like me, but I bet they all have a decent sized screen, too, like I do.

• Like 1

I would give it a chance. The old board Vbulletin was pretty much deprecated. This is newer version of Vbulletin. I saw the board upgrade notice and surprised they were sticking with Vbulletin. I was hoping for Xenforo which most Vbulletin users have moved to. It is what is, as since this is a huge forum, just easier to migrate and less things to fall out if going to migrate to a different forum like Xenforo or even IPBoard. In any case hopefully implementation of some different skins as this looks just vanilla default.

My only complaint is that the board home is difficult to read for old eyes.

12-inch-Red-aviation-ordnance-logo-sticker-with-IYAOYAS-banner.png

Some things I like more and some less. The main page listing all the next tier sub forums is good. There are less graphical lines in each post box which is nice. The font is not so good and the alternate styles have some broken things. There is a "what's new" equivalent but it doesn't have the option to list as threads compactly. I wonder if the raw performance. There are definitely fewer options for display and search than their used to be. I'm sure they'll adjust the visual aspects. In future it might be good to develop the forum completely parallel to the operating one to a higher level of completeness before swapping.

I kinda miss the "Today's Posts" button, as well as the far more compact design of the old forum.

This vBulletin version seems newer, but it is not as easy to follow the posts/content changes.

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I would suggest they remove all of the numbers being presented, and make an attempt to combine some of the positive aspects of the new form (the tool bar lay out) in with the old forum.

• Like 1

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Can we also PLEASE stop this constant advertising of this horrible privacy-violating website that's now plastered all over the place here? Thanks.

Zam6FM7.png.fb549155a07a2f88a7dd4777570bfb8e.png

• Like 5

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Search doesn’t seem to work signatures are gone, the UI is sub optimal...it is different , but seriously not in a good way... and files ? and dark mode is in a different size than light mode

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hovering over it looks like reputation.

It's gone now :( seems the webmaster is still tuning the Forum.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Where is my favorite "New Posts" link?

Admins, please remove subforums from index pages and it will looks better. That Subforum links is just wasting space and big hole in a screen.

i want back my "New Posts" link/button :)

• Like 3

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Really WHY?

I've looked for SIGN IN for 10 minutes!!!

After logged in, I couldn't find New Posts.

As Mr.Smith's asking: Why? Why? Why? Why?

• Like 1

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

What the FuUK is occurring here!

What BullSh!t website have I just spent 3 minutes trying to log into?

Is this the Excel high end equation forum website from some bullsh!t university??????

I would actually like to see heads role for this.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I'm assuming this was not just a facelift. It's probably an upgrade to the underlying software, which, if I had to guess, was very long overdue.

Nowadays, webdesign must be compatible with mobile. There's just no 2 ways about it. It's a requirement.

That means the old skin can't just be ported over without any hitch or hassle. Maybe someone will create a new skin that resembles the old one, but that's probably going to be a lot of work.

What I'm seeing in terms of functionality, a lot has changed under the hood. At first glance, I'm missing a few features that I was used to, but I'm also seeing many new features that I've wished for for a long time, some I didn't even know were possible, and all things considered I'm really liking what I'm seeing, using the same desktop I used yesterday.

Seeing as some of the issues mentioned in this thread have already been addressed, the team are probably reading these threads and taking the positive and good ideas and implementing them. I wouldn't be surprised if the "New Posts" function makes a great entrance quickly, because that was indeed very useful.

Anyway, I really don't see an issue troubleshooting issues for people because of the new forum. Most of the complaints in this thread have been about convenience and quality-of-life features, as far as I can tell at this point.

I don't disagree with the above and I have developed websites and software in the past that have thousands of users and are mission critical for end users so understand some of the challenges. I never said that change was bad, in fact I think the forums needed an overhaul, but one of the key things is that you communicate changes before they are made - a bit like Wags does the new feature briefs so that people are aware. Engaging this way also helps you to understand what people value the most from the current functionality so that you can incorporate this if possible or explain how it now works. I think ED are now doing a reasonable job of this on the DCS side and could have used that more proactive approach here as well.

I am not trying to have a go at them personally, but yes, if we spring things like this on our users at work without communicating effectively beforehand we get a similar level of flak thrown at us.

Edited by hornblower793
  • Like 1

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

There is no point, as I can't imagine ED reverting to the old software ... we better get used to the newer version.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Really WHY?

I've looked for SIGN IN for 10 minutes!!!

After logged in, I couldn't find New Posts.

As Mr.Smith's asking: Why? Why? Why? Why?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one having this issue. I'll be dumb and blind, but I had to use browser's "search for" feature to find where the "Login" is :D

Anyway, I find new forum's aesthetics is really bad. I guess a "Optimized for Netscape" button would be coherent with this backward step.

• Like 1