New forum vs old forum

QuiGon

New forum vs old forum  

374 members have voted

1. 1. New forum vs old forum

• Old forum was better (desktop user mostly)
    • New forum is better (desktop user mostly)
    • Old forum was better (mobile user mostly)
    • New forum is better (mobile user mostly)
    • Old forum was better (desktop/mobile user)
    • New forum is better (desktop/mobile user)

So i feared that i would come! I am a bit angry withmyself since i have heard of a new forum being in development for quite some time and i didn't write a post why and what was so great about the old forum. Let me state this here:

100% agree.

Btw, it's not obvious but sections are still collapsible if you click on the gray bar with orange text - which is completely useless when it doesn't save the setting.

Edited by =4c=Nikola
  • Like 1

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

Yeah new forum is pretty awful imo. I didn't have any trouble with the old forum on a mobile device!

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

This new forum is HORRIFIC. I had a list of organised saved threads, can’t find them anywhere as yet, so much harder to navigate and looks awful, please revert back, life is to short. Took me long enough to find the recent activity, don’t feel much encouraged to return here.

• Like 1

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

Wow, need a new DCS module...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Eaglemoss-DeLorean-Retour-vers-le-futur-le-montage-600x411.jpg","data-attachmentid":7111943}[/ATTACH]

Rocket League xD

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Hate it..

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

I wonder if the DCS person responsible for this new forum design cares that people don't like it, or simply thinks "GFY, you're going to use it even if you hate it, you're using it right now while you whine about it, so who cares if you don't like it"?

That's actually not a shot at the person, more a thought about how business people handle the realities of business.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Just after 1 day, I'm navigating a lot better. This is not the worst layout of the forum. We could ask for improvements.

If you're gonna save space by making subsections smaller fonts, why not move the foreign language section to different page altogether?

And please remove the scrolling animation when you click on last post icon.

• Like 1

But it isn't. Boy are we a conservative lot. The old forum was a pain to read on a mobile device. This isn't. It was a pain to maintain and secure. This one most likely isn't. It's called progress buddy. And yea, that entails change.

This progress has to stop!

Edited by DerNeueMensch

On the old forum i used to open the forum, then could go to Official Updates for example and with a glace you could see if the thread you were interested in had been updated as the heading was bold and then jump straight to the last page.

Is this possible here? Atm i'm seeing Sticky's highlighted (in yellow) but cannot tell if the thread has been updated and can't see if it's possible to quickly go to the last page. Anyone know if this is doable on the new forum.

• Like 1

I am getting used to the new forum design and features already. Not bad at all.

As always, we (as humans) usually struggle with change initially, but then it all works out in the end...

• Like 2

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

On the old forum i used to open the forum, then could go to Official Updates for example and with a glace you could see if the thread you were interested in had been updated as the heading was bold and then jump straight to the last page.

Is this possible here? Atm i'm seeing Sticky's highlighted (in yellow) but cannot tell if the thread has been updated and can't see if it's possible to quickly go to the last page. Anyone know if this is doable on the new forum.

Updated posts will still be in bold. And you can click the fast forward icon next to the last post indicated on each thread to jump to last post. This icon seems to be missing in couple themes. Use Default theme. Not Forum Default but just Default.

It's still too bright for me but all features seems to be working in Default.

• Like 2

In my opinion the new forum is pure bullshit. Where are today's posts? How do I go to the last post of a thread? I just can't see at a glance, when the last post was written. If this is progress, I want to go back to the "Cold War" era. :ranting:

• Like 1

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

After trying to use the new forum for something like 15 minutes, I have the feeling I've got to vomit. I'm out of here. Will be back in a few weeks, maybe...:puke:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

... Simply shitstorming "revert to old forums" won't do it, that's a dead end....

Thanks a lot for such an enlightening post :thumbup:

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The big problem I have right now, and it might just not knowing how to do it, is once I’m done reading a post and I use the back arrow on the iPhone I have to start my search all over again. Is there a way to set Latest Post as default and have it to where I don’t have to go searching for where I left off. I have to go back through all the posts again.

• Like 1

I do miss the thread page links where you could go directly to a specific page next to the thread titles BTW. Now you can only click the thing and go to page one or click a tiny thing next to the user's name and go straight to the latest post where you'd have to scroll up first which is just cumbersome.

Also, the date line on top of a post is just way too small, the font is very much thinned out and almost impossible to read.

And I won't change my opinion on the design until mankind finds a way to repair opticus nerves and I'll quote Nick Grey on this: The new default design "sucks balls" (that applies to any design that lacks colours) and sadly, the dark theme is utterly broken at this point and doesn't really look nice even though it feels better to the eyes. The old colour scheme with the blues and reds just was [CORRECT AS WAS]. And now somehow I feel my pastance pun on [CORRECT AS IS] doesn't work quite well... rdlaugh.png

​Also, I'm constantly getting

Unable to contact server. Please try again.

If this error continues please contact the site administrator.

error_information_x-1

When switching pages while reading a thread. The thing just seems to timeout at some point and with my impaired vision, I'm one of the slowest readers on earth. I always have to MiG28 the page before I can open up the next page. This whole scripety script interface is just pain in the plot nowadays. Why can't we just have simple, good old GET requests with parameters loading a new page anymore? It was sooo much faster with the old board version. ED having bought/licensed this for hard earned money must now feel like a customer of a former 3rd party they had icon_redface.gif​​

And trying to edit this once again showed how cumbersome it is when middle clicks on vital functions don't work anymore...

Edited by Eldur
  • Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg