New forum vs old forum

QuiGon

New forum vs old forum  

374 members have voted

1. 1. New forum vs old forum

• Old forum was better (desktop user mostly)
    • New forum is better (desktop user mostly)
    • Old forum was better (mobile user mostly)
    • New forum is better (mobile user mostly)
    • Old forum was better (desktop/mobile user)
    • New forum is better (desktop/mobile user)

Hi all,

The team are tweaking the forum, give it some time. We know change can be difficult for some, I will need to adapt also :)

That's gonna take a JDAM bunch of tweaking... :joystick:

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Regarding design, I have noticed the user experience vastly differs on TN monitors vs IPS/VA ones. On TN (laptops, older monitors which refuse to die) everything looks white or more white, while on IPS/VA one can suddenly discern individual shades of gray and it starts to make sense.

Then there are some functions I miss, mainly the "new posts" going for several pages, not the short extempt we get now.

I think any new format needs some time before having people voting in such poll, there is always the initial resistance to change that will bias the results. Re-do the poll in one month or so.

Not sure why the change was necessary, but it's always good to update every once in a while. The view of the subforums is much clearer than before, and I'm not concerned about the theme which is indeed a bit sad at the moment, I'm sure it can be customized with time, that's just cosmetics.

It's nice to have the 'like' back, they were removed from the old forums at some point.

Multi-quotes are nice for the one who uses it. Otherwise, it can quickly become a mess of quotes of multi-quoted posts... one post per response isn't bad either, easier to follow sub-threads.

What I'm really struggling with, is finding back the useful subscriptions I had, and how they're working now, because it's never easy to follow topics in such a massive forum. I suppose it's just the matter of getting to know this new version.

That, and the way the post window is jumping up and down when we're writing into it, perhaps a reasonable default height would improve this? It's a bit small atm.

Edited by Redglyph
  • Like 2

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

DCS has 3 icons in FUI, those are greeish, blueish and browish, these could be the 3 base themes and it's darker versions for example, at first I'd pick the browish theme, the one that the old forum resembled, but more red-color to it to look like the icon looks, would be so cool! I got bigger ideas but I can't write myself out because I'm too busy with the new PC build right about now, oh well, keep up the good feedback people, keep thinking!

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Definitely require more detail work.

First, I refuse to read from a white background, even my Google, Wikipedia and YouTube is all dark themed.

I like the Black ED forum theme but pure black background is ugly. Would be much better to have something like very dark grey, brown or navy blue.

I miss the old colors. I though that was some kind of ED color code. You see colors and you connect them in mind with company and the product. Lost opportunity?

We have some colors in DCS main menu why not use the same on a website to create that kind of connection ?

In the meantime, instead of complaining I recommend to make your own css style for DCS Forum - maybe a small competition?

https://userstyles.org/

(very slow server)

ED would save a lot of work and complains just giving this to users - a small competition, drop some reward, make users to vote and pick best theme.

If you like to use dark themes I can recommend extensions for web browsers : "Dark Backgroud and Light text" or "Dark Night Mode". Those work independent from website style and can give some interesting results.

I like how the images are handled now - this is grate improvement, duble clicks, dragging the windows borders to change the size, etc.

Some screenshots how forum looks on my screen:

capture_001_23102020_101246.thumb.jpg.21155310d0e38b7405278f88068dceb8.jpgwAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

capture_004_23102020_101530.thumb.jpg.d9a9a76e78edac8cfa5f7aad24ced356.jpgwAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==capture_006_23102020_101856.thumb.jpg.a2db1cff5dcaa998d14cf03e4deff749.jpgcapture_007_23102020_102026.thumb.jpg.9325346ab42b1c034f58260ea3314f89.jpg

fetch?filedataid=259501wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

capture_003_23102020_101507.thumb.jpg.439db9e5f831a6cbb33bd3dbf6c9ebe2.jpg

What's the deal with these forum changes. This is about the fifth flightsim website I visit that has gone all white in the past few few months. Are all the flight sim forums using the same server/software? Worse, the admins on most of these sites don't even know where the changes are coming from.

Just tried the Dark and Denim themes in user settings/account and they seem to shrink the text too? WTF?

Edited by scotth6

Hi! This forum is wasting space at each and every single position, it is unclearly arranged, I don't get a quick and good overview, and I cannot change to a subforum (e.g. Viggen Bugs and Problems) when I'm in a thread which is part of the hirarchy level above. My suggestions (red: delete, yellow: move):

forum_suggestions.thumb.png.231c241c6b6d0645eeb35a06ff964a5a.png

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 1

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

What's the deal with these forum changes. This is about the fifth flightsim website I visit that has gone all white in the past few few months. Are all the flight sim forums using the same server/software? Worse, the admins on most of these sites don't even know where the changes are coming from.

Just tried the Dark and Denim themes in user settings/account and they seem to shrink the text too? WTF?

I am guessing they are all using vBulletin.

The default style was also very small when the site first went up - it has been improved and I am guessing that the admins will eventually change the dark and denim style sheets once they have default in a position most people will tolerate

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I am guessing they are all using vBulletin.

The default style was also very small when the site first went up - it has been improved and I am guessing that the admins will eventually change the dark and denim style sheets once they have default in a position most people will tolerate

Interesting, thanks for the info. Regarding the forum host, one other site that has recently changed, ORBX forums, is actually hosted by Invision. It must just be the latest trend in web design :).

FYI for anyone looking for a way to darken the screen a bit, try Dark Reader. I use Chrome browser, and I know it also work with Firefox, Safari , and Edge.

https://darkreader.org/

FYoSnvP.jpg

Ok,

My last post was very much Alcohol fuelled!

And I was very nasty calling for heads to roll.

Now that I have had time to recover from my initial shock and re-ingested a fresh amount of alcohol.... is it so bad?

I will investigate tonight.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Quite quick and snappy actually.

Would a post activity be better next to each module, like a current activity next to the historical post number.... That way you can watch the entire forum flow on one page and quickly dive in to attack once a change is seen?

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Hi, this format is awful. I cannot navigate to my own subscriptions. This for me is unusable. Please revert, its a real shame as I actually enjoyed this forum.

• Like 1

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

Get rid of this!

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

I am ok with it.

But then again, I am a chopper pilot and we adapt to anything real fast.

XX

• Like 1

I'm curious, what do you guys prefer, the old or the new forum?

Also: Are you mostly using the forums on a desktop or on a mobile?

What were they thinking?! "Uhhh, Hey guys lets Eff up the forum format; whataya say?" I think that's how it must have gone. No one can screw things up this bad accidentally.

yep.

I like it, just seems to work right for me.

Once you Jet pukes get over it, I think it will sit alright with you too.... probably take a while mind.

• Like 1

Looks so amateurish .. forum we pick up free .. come on ! there are some good options but what we complain is the Navigation is horrible and the waste of space is terrible.. I am using the dark theme but it is seriously lacking of where about reference points..

Fly it like you stole it..

I agree the new format is awful to read, and I am stuffed if I can find the ability to edit my signature.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

It’s not just the format, which is really bad, but also the host of problems like broken subscriptions, broken notifications, Tapatalk not working correctly. I get the desire to make mobile browsing better compared to the old forum, but this move strikes me as exactly the opposite of what is needed right now with that other mammoth flight sim potentially pulling away so many DCS fans recently — myself included.

Frankly if keeping up to date on the topics users care about becomes too much of a frustrating chore, it’s going to permanently drive them away. I hope that doesn’t happen, but in its current state this forum doesn’t offer much hope.

• Like 1

Preferred the old style to be honest,this new format is just tediously difficult to navigate,and.....if it ain't broke why fix it ?....just my two pennies worth,if this is the way ahead I don't think I'll be visiting as often as I did,sorry DCS.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

I agree the new format is awful to read, and I am stuffed if I can find the ability to edit my signature.

I agree, it is very hard to find everything in this new Format. I did edit my signature using tips from many of the previous posts. I managed to find and use the forums built in HELP function for the same thing so here is the official link: https://forums.eagle.ru/help?q=signature&btnSearch=&titleandtext=1&match=any#account_overview/account_signature_new

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

90.58% prefer the old forum to this garbage; 9.42% prefer this last I looked at the poll. (308 votes). I truly cannot stand it, and in keeping to how I feel, am NOT checking this place daily anymore. I'll learn about updates and so forth other ways, because they're clearly "going to make this work" and we will never see the old setup again.

Sorry, no cool signature here.