New forum vs old forum

QuiGon

New forum vs old forum  

374 members have voted

1. 1. New forum vs old forum

• Old forum was better (desktop user mostly)
    • New forum is better (desktop user mostly)
    • Old forum was better (mobile user mostly)
    • New forum is better (mobile user mostly)
    • Old forum was better (desktop/mobile user)
    • New forum is better (desktop/mobile user)

I subscribed to a lot of posts to help me learn DCS and avoid coming here and constantly asking questions until it was absolutely necessary, I had them categorised in folders to make them easier to find, now the folder option seems to have gone as well, I have to sift through 356 posts to find what I am looking for now. Granted some old posts do need to be deleted.

• Like 1

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

I can't even find my subscriptions and see if anything new is posted in the specific ones that I'm interested in so I don't log in anymore. I used to check every day but now I don't bother anymore, except for this one post. Over and out!

| Strix Z490-H | i5 10600K | MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming X | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | 256 Gb SDD Samsung 840 Pro + 480Gb SDD Kingston + 500 Gb HDD | Acer Predator Z1 2560*1440p | TM Warthog HOTAS | 2x MFD Cougar | Buddyfox A10 UFC  | TrackIR 5 | Win10 Pro 64-Bit Swedish |

| A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-86F Sabre | F/A-18 Hornet | KA-50 Blackshark | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H Huey | FC3 | CA | WWII Assets Pack | Supercarrier |

It is encouraging to see the new FORUM User Interface Updates that keep coming.

I just noticed the Previous and Next Page Navigation buttons now have Direction Arrows at the Top Right of the page. And now, new users will see proper icons for Upload Attachments, Toggle Advanced Editor and Add Smily at the Bottom Left of the page instead of the empty rectangles. Much less wasted space too! I realize there is a lot of work to do, and the important thing is to "keep rolling the ball forward."

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

So my feelings on the new forum have not changed much and i still prefer the old visual style/coulour scheme and hope you add this back as an option. Again, i am not in the least asking for a rollback since a modernisation under the hood is a good thing.

But: i surely have noticed me not coming here as frequently as i did because the individual subforums are a blackbox now. And this "latest active" thread being displayed right next to the subforum tab was really the appetizer to go and check out stuff. Actually, it would be cool if there could be three latest threads that are being displayed for every subforum. Or maybe add a "hover-over-popup" that displays the contents of a subforum so we can see whats up before clicking.

So take your time and enhance incrementally!

• Like 2

As long as ED can fit in the popping Christmas lights, then I am doing OK.

• Like 3

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

This change was badly thought out and shoddy in its implementation to say the least.

For what is effectively your most customer facing interface you never make such a drastic change without taking extra precautions. The sensible thing to have done would have been to run forum layouts side-by-side for example, or have an alternative read-only copy in the new format for people to experience and provide valuable feedback. What you don't do is a major upgrade and redesign, then stick your head in the sand when people complain. It's a long time since I've upgraded a vBulletin site, so perhaps the previous theme wasn't compatible and they're working on it. Fair enough, but that should have been tested beforehand offline and remediated prior to implementation.

• Like 2

The new forums are awful. Please put them back to how they were. The old forums were excellent and didn't need changing. It beggars belief that a supposedly professional organisation can take such an imbecilic decision.

(imho)

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I've lost the enthusiasm to navigate this tedious forum anymore......DCS are obviously not interested in it's members opinions,so I'm certainly not going to waste my time on their ridiculous forum any longer,cheerio amigos.

I would just like to say a big thank you to all my old friends that I have corresponded with over the years.

• Like 1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Sorry, gotta say it here. This new forum software really, really sucks. Would really like to see the forum go back to the nice, friendly style it used to be.

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

My Playgrounds: | Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |

Seriously... not only is this the worst forum software I've ever had the displeasure to attempt to use, the worst looking, literally impossible to read, search or sort, it also takes almost forever to load a new page here.

WHY? DCS GUYS...? WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO US? This loyal customer is very, very disappointed. :protest:

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |

:bye_3:

Looks like the forum just got another facelift. This time the main page looks quite a bit better.

• Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Looks like the forum just got another facelift. This time the main page looks quite a bit better.

Thanks for mentioning that. Looks like the change has not made it to the Dark Theme Yet. I will make it a point to flip back and forth between themes and see how this new DCS Forum evolves.

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Yep. I have to agree. The theme DCS is looking pretty good now. :thumbup:

Gone is the mess with the 3 columns of sub-forums and the unneeded post counts are gone.

Can you copy the DCS Theme and make a DCS Dark Theme out of it?

Because the current dark theme and denim theme still look "questionable". :music_whistling:

Get rid of them :smilewink:

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

I agree. Getting familiar with the new forum is much easier now than it was on day one. I still miss the opportunity to sort "POSTS" with newest first because "LATEST ACTIVITY" does not do the job for it lacks important stuff like signatures, avatars and attachments. plz ED give us a sort button on "POSTS" (EDIT: defaul by an option) and a faster response on "NOTIFICATIONS" and this :cry: starts turning to :)! thank you.