DirectX adapter for Brunner FFB Joystick ready

yes, that's it! It all boils to what's better, the effects that Brunner created or the effects created by the devs of the game/module you are playing?
So it all really depends. In which for which there's no Brunner plugin, it's obvious this is useful (I use it for IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad).
Brunner seems to create plugins with effects related to air speed, taxi, and engine rumble. They don't seem to add other effects from what I've noticed so far.

From what I have read from other people using this, I thought Heatblur already implemented hydraulics failure and I think ground rumble as well, so you might still be lucky and get all effects you're looking for. It seems like some people are giving feedback about those effects in some threads here: https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/258-dcs-f-14a-amp-b/

Basically this program will make the Brunner work the same as your current G940 but obviously with much better motors and joystick

I see, I was hoping I would still be able to at least retain custom force curves in the Brunner profiles.

I do hope Brunner eventually has proper DX support that allows their effects to be added in as well, but I do appreciate your work on BrunnerDX to at least return many dev intended FFB effects. Cheers!

you probably will get more familiar with what Brunner and CS can do when you spend more time with it. I can always modify this program to add some stuff, not really connecting to DCS, but things like adding configuration for dampening the movement or similar should be doable

I've tried to follow the instructions in the README.md but I get stuck at step 3 because I can't find brunnerdx.ino in any of the folders.  I'm pretty sure I'm making an obvious mistake.  Any suggestions where I went wrong?

You really don not need to read the readme.md and install the brunnerdx.ino.

Download the msi file from

https://github.com/jmriego/brunnerdx/releases

Run the msi file that will install an interface program like the screen attached,

image.png

Run CLS2Sim.exe with the  Remote Control Enabled for the TCP Server Port and the External Control via the UDP Server Port, make sure that he CLSim IP and the CLSSim UDP Port numbers are the same as in the BrunnerDX interface program, e.g. 127.0.0.1 and 15090

image.png

Detect the port for the Arduino

Run upload firmware, this should auto flash the Arduino with the configration firmware, you may need to point it at the directory, I can't recall

C:\Program Files (x86)\jmriego\BrunnerDX.Setup

image.png

Connect and you should then get green lights at the Arduino and the CLS2Sim

image.png

You are good to go in any sim application after that

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

Amazing work Chuls!  That’s quite an ingenious workaround. 

Using the instructions above, I’ve been able to get it working in DCS.  I’ve tried it with the Bf-109 and the F-14.  So far, so good.  It really makes flying more immersive.

I haven’t had the same luck with IL-2.  I’m able to set the correct axes assignments using the delay technique described above.  However, when it comes time to fly, IL-2 doesn’t seem to recognize any inputs from the Arduino.  BrunnerDX recognizes the joystick position but no forces appear.  Oddly enough IL-2 doesn’t recognize button presses from the joystick either during gameplay even though I am able to set them during key configuration.  

Still, this is one heck of an accomplishment. 

IL-2 is not as sophisticated as DCS and appears to limit the number of input devices that it will use.

Go to the input devices folder and open the devices.txt document.

Mine is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\input

Is the Arduino listed? Mine is listed as device number 6.

Step 1

If the Arduino is there is it listed as the same number as the axis for Pitch and Roll in the button mapping settings. If not I simply swapped the start number for the Arduino (in my case 6) to the axis that is listed in the button mapping setting - remembering also to renumber the input device that was being used by IL-2 to the original Arduino Input Device Number

Step 2

If the Arduino is not listed, originally I was able to delete the entire input folder, only connect those devices to the computer I wanted, e.g Throttle, Control Panel, Rudder, Arduino, Brunner CLS-E (andRealsimulator F16 grip mounted on the Brunner) and restart IL-2 and go through button mapping, then to the previous step above about renumbering the input device to match the Arduino.

Step 3

Somehow this did not work after the last IL-2 update and I eventually performed a clean install and repeated Step 1 

The Arduino does work with IL-2 it is just a pain to get it to be recognised as the control axis, once working it is good.

image.png

Edited by Lynchsl62

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Thanks lynchsl62.  With your instructions I got it working in IL-2 as well. 

I followed step 1 and everything seemed to be correctly listed in devices.txt.  Rather than deleting the entire input folder, I deleted devices.txt but it reappeared with the same device numbering.  I didn’t want to have to do a fresh install of IL-2 and opted to set all controls to Default. I rebound the Arduino (as well as the other controls) and everything seems to be working now in both DCS and IL-2.

Thanks again to you and Chuls!!!

Chuls, I'm trying to get this running again, and keep getting this message:  2021/04/28 07:56:20.145 Arduino sketch version is too old. Please Upload the Arduino Firmware

I can't find the updated Brunnerdx.ino anywhere.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Hi @heloguy!

Since I created this program I have made some changes so it's a lot simpler now. No need to open Arduino programs, search for the .ino file or anything like that.
That message is just saying to click on the "Upload Firmware" button. I'll change it so that it's clearer
image.png

Chuls,

Thanks!  It's only the big button at the top.  Feel kind of dumb for missing it.

Is there any way to adjust the forces?  For example, I'd like to increase the forces holding the stick in place while using trim in the helicopters.

Edited by heloguy

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

hehe no worries! You started using this before that button existed anyway.

The only adjustment I have at the moment is the force slider on the options. That scales all forces, not just the return to center.
I have been told that there's a good program to use for helos in DCS:

That seems to have all kinds of adjustments for spring, damper, etc. Hope this is what you're looking for!

Chuls, got it.  I used SimFFB in the past with a G940.  IIRC it replaces DirectX ffb effects, so I’m not sure it would work with your setup.

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

in that case I don't think you can do much more than that at the moment.
Can you describe what you are trying to do? Let's see if there's something I can add to this program.

I am not familiar with helos nor with DCS though, but looking at simFFB I can understand the options they have. I can either set gains for different types of effects that are produced in game (things like adjusting spring effect, damper effect, etc. that DCS creates) or I can make BrunnerDX use the DCS effects plus something else added on top. What I can't do is to generate effects that depend on the sim status (things like detect stalls, air speed or similar)

I guess what I'm talking about isn't really helo specific.  Basically, with all the systems turned on, hydraulics, trim, etc, the base or max force applied to hold the stick's position.  I use an extension, so the base force applied is a little light.

In CLS2Sim, using hardware trim, you can adjust the forces under the Axis Force Settings tab, or under the the Hydraulics tab if you have those boxes checked.  Something like that would be nice.  It would be realistic for helos, and fixed wing with hydraulic assisted controls.

Edit:  After messing around with the force slider in BrunnerDx, I think that works pretty well after all.  I think I just had it set too low before.

Edited by heloguy

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

that's perfect. Anyway, with the last version I already finished fine tuning all effects and solved any issues so I can work on adding things that would be nice to have.

I mostly fly propeller planes and I don't have the need to add further features to this so if anyone wants anything added here let me know and I'll work on that.

I guess the two things that people have mentioned are:
- more control over the different forces
- add a damper to the movement

let me know if anyone has any preferences here

I don't want to drag this thread Off Topic but I've been considering the CLS-E, but one thing that does put me off is the loss of the analogue for the Spit and I was wondering what you guys use to compensate (I'm using a VKB stick at the moment which has the analogue brake)

Simply thought that as there are a few CLS-E owners here might be a good place to ask

3 minutes ago, Weegie said:

I don't want to drag this thread Off Topic but I've been considering the CLS-E, but one thing that does put me off is the loss of the analogue for the Spit and I was wondering what you guys use to compensate (I'm using a VKB stick at the moment which has the analogue brake)

Simply thought that as there are a few CLS-E owners here might be a good place to ask

Virpil stick's analgue lever works perfectly for sure. As to VKB, I would be surprised if it still wasn't supported by the software.

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The analogue brake lever for the Spitfire and Migs is not easy. I use the F16 grip and use the paddle switch in gentle taps - to be honest with all Warbirds I use gentle taps on the brakes as they all are easy to tip over. The VKB MCG Pro is much better in that regard. 

Regardless Taxiing a Spitfire is very very hard

• Thanks 1

It looks like the last update fixed the bug that sometimes the FFB is not enabled in DCS. I've started DCS only a handful times since the update but i had never to restart because of FFB not working and doing my random pc voodoo magic again.

Thanks a lot again@Chuls