[CORRECT AS IS]Point track problem

Caput_58

Point track doesn't seem to work if the laser is masked, or if it does, it works under much more limited conditions. If you turn back towards the target, the moment the laser is unmasked, point track can grab on again. My experience has all been on the Syria map, just in case it's map dependent.

This is why (I think) it's better to work with Markpoints -> Steerpoint whenever possible as the TGP will stay right where you put it and not wander off Point Track.

(Unless, obviously, you’re dealing with a moving target...)

Edited by Emmy
Clarification

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

• ED Team

Hi,

the mask is working as intended regarding point track.

Like Emmy above, once in the AO I switch to mark point's it makes it much easier to manage.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

That seems strange. Point tracking is a contrast lock, why would laser masking make a difference? And if the laser does matter, wouldn't I be unable to point track of my laser is off? I'd be happy to submit a track or some footage if I'm not being clear.

That seems strange. Point tracking is a contrast lock, why would laser masking make a difference? And if the laser does matter, wouldn't I be unable to point track of my laser is off? I'd be happy to submit a track or some footage if I'm not being clear.

I'm not having an issue with point track when firing the laser. Just flew for 4 hours yesterday doing weapons and systems practice and had well over 50 successful point tracks, with laser spots and weapon employments (on moving and stationary targets).

I'd say upload a video and maybe we can see something with your attack runs...

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I'm not having an issue with point track when firing the laser. Just flew for 4 hours yesterday doing weapons and systems practice and had well over 50 successful point tracks, with laser spots and weapon employments (on moving and stationary targets).

I'd say upload a video and maybe we can see something with your attack runs...

I think what Caput_58 is talking about is a little bit different... he's asking why point track fails when a target is visible to the CCD/IR sensor but the laser is mask, and I think he has a legitimate point here. If Point Track is indeed based on a contrast lock withiin the sensor (as you'd do with the laser off) then it makes no sense for point track to fail when the laser is masked but the sensor can still see the target.

I suspect this has to do with how the a10 handles point track. Based on what I've seen, it snaps to a nearby DCS unit if the conditions are right, thus mimicking a true contrast lock.