Why Heatblur should do the F-111 next!

Lurker

While I appreciate your opinion and coming here to comment in my thread, this is an F-111 thread. Please refrain from posting about the Tornado here. You already have a HUGE Tornado thread in this forum. Thank you. For everyone else, let's hear why you wan't the F-111! I will add one more reason :)

7) 1960's tech: Despite featuring old tech, or perhaps because of it, it will be very interesting to fly. It's "steam-gauge" avionics suite is pure pilot bliss, especially for those of us who enjoy the Tomcat's similar setup. One other advantage for developers? It's probably all declassified and would not be difficult to licence or get good information on. Despite this, the real airframe featured some innovative tech and served from 1964 to 2010.

Chill bro

Without a doubt, it is a module that I would like to have, I spent many hours of flight on FSX with a model of F111 ... of course the simulation level was much lower than that of the F 14 on dcs. hands on all those buttons, power, engines, navigation system and indicators for altitude, speed etc all in front of you..wow.Maybe a dream is coming true, I cross my fingers !!

I love how simple and functional the cockpit is. In many ways it is very similar to the F14 pit.

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Here is a complete (peactime) sortie by a flight of F-111s in what I believe to be the Scottish Highlands with some really nice low level flying:

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

I love how simple and functional the cockpit is. In many ways it is very similar to the F14 pit.

I love those strip gauges...

And I've seen that sortie video already. That channel has lots of Jeff Guinn stuff. Worth watching every single minute of those.

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

The F-111 may not be at the top of my list like the A-6 Intruder and Blackburn Buccaneer which is another low level flyer but I do consider it an interesting and unique aircraft.

Some interesting facts about the F-111 is that the early A models had a high maintenance and failure rate. Once the A models got upgraded to the D standard with more advanced electronic systems they became more reliable.

So if we get the A models I would hope they would also have the same failure rates to make them even that much more realistic. :megalol:

4) Ground Radar & Terrain Following: With the raycasting technology used in the Viggen, Heatblur already have the basis for a ground radar that could be modified for use with the F-111 and would simplify the implementation of it's legendary terrain following technology.

That is news to me. Does Viggen really have a raycasting method to model the A-G radar?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I'd hope for naval F-4, probably F-4N or F-4S.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

That is news to me. Does Viggen really have a raycasting method to model the A-G radar?

Yes it does. Please note that this is an algorithm method, it is NOT equivalent to raytracing, which is used for rendering purposes.

• Like 1

Lurker,

Please do not buy into Eldur's comment about the Intruder. He/She is not well informed to its performance or role on the battlefield. There is a reason the A-7 Corsair did not carry on the same type of mission the Intruder did, and there was a variant that was outfitted later on in the Gulf War with Sidewinders I believe. Below is a really good documentary with a lot of pilot testimony and video giving a good example of why it was so iconic. Do not get me wrong, I would love to see the Aardvark make her way into the DCS hangar, day 1 buy for me. But given what HB has said in the past, specifically they were building the AI Intruder as if it was going to be a full module, and then the layout and very very close similarities of to the F-14 avionics, I think it is a better bet they will tackle her first.

Check out the similarities between the A-6 and F-14 cockpits below.

fa46f85caeff73c587c45562ef4aacfb.jpg.965d2d0bb10a803031f3fc66d4d35295.jpg

grumman-a-6a-intruder-cockpit-wernher-krutein.jpg.a094478f7fa6f3cfe4c0824ce9641389.jpga132a868a021fd6bb755deb7b38b3a02.thumb.jpg.aead555a6adf889448f33e610b9a3375.jpg

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.9a65158c9417c5c60d4cbdbb1cc53410.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the A6 Heatblur have decided to build is an AI model, and it was never confirmed to be a full DCS module. This was something that the more enthusiastic fan-base crowd has been inferring over the years. (Yes it's been years). Knowing Heatblur and the backlash that other 3rd parties get whenever they announce a new module before one of their other modules is out of early access, I'm reasonably sure that they won't announce what they are developing until the F14 is out of Early Access. Now this might very well be the A6, and if it is well good for you, but it might also be something else. It is also quite possible they are working on multiple modules at once, or maybe they are not working on anything at all. (At least not for DCS)

I for one hope that they are working on the F-111, since it shares so many commonalities with the F14 (in many ways the F14 is an evolution of the F-111 design) and if they are not, then at least maybe I can spark some interest with this thread, hopefully from Heatblur, or for someone to take a shot at it. It's basically a wishlist thread, so my expectations are in accordance very very low, I doubt anyone has produced an aircraft simply because someone wrote a forum post about it.

Lurker,

Hate to burst your bubble brother but here is the exact quote from HB specifically stating themselves this has been under development for sometime now and is being developed with the intent of becoming a full module. They are working towards the license agreement which is the reason for only an AI unit at this time. This was not an enthusiastic fan based rumor we started. This is straight from the horses mouth. And has it been years? Absolutely, only furthering my speculation this is the next module given the fact that it takes a minimum several years to make one to their standards.

Not as much as a fart has ever been released about looking at or remotely being interested in making the F-111. I do not want to wash your parade out and I really like the Aardvark, but it would be like me saying the F-105 Thunderchief is what they could be working on next. Legendary aircraft and I want it more than a lap dance, but it is not in the cards at this time. As promised, here is the quote from HB.

Furthering our commitment to trying to provide a full and rich experience to the community, and in line with our module development priorities, we’ve decided to introduce the A-6E and KA-6 as free AI units into DCS World shortly following the release of the F-14 Tomcat!

The Intruder is an aircraft that has been under active development at Heatblur Simulations for some time, and subject to a license agreement, we hope to eventually introduce it into DCS world as a full DCS module - and we are developing it with this intent in mind.

In the meantime, the AI Intruders will serve a critical role in the F-14 campaigns and provide an additional level of authenticity to the game and simulation battlespace environment. The A-6’s are built to our extremely exacting standards, with laser scanning forming the basis of our core workflow and ensuring complete accuracy in shape and dimensions. In-game, the KA-6 will provide the player with texaco services while the A-6E will serve as a venerable strike partner with an unmatched payload - good friends to have in the cockpit of an F-14.

Thanks as always for your support. We look forward to sharing much more!

You are not bursting my bubble, not at all. Nothing what I stated previously contradicts anything that Heatblur stated in that post you quoted.

Apparently there is some speculation that the F-111 could be the mystery aircraft that Eagle Dynamics will announce by the end of the year. Not sure how I feel about that (if true). On the one hand, any F-111 would be a great addition to the game. On the other, Heatblur has really spoiled me with their F-14. Most of the other modules feel life-less, bland or unfinished by comparison... :)

To satisfy your hunger for the old girl Lurker, I would not have my feelings hurt one bit if they brought the F-111 to DCS. I must admit, she would be fun running night raids. Also here is a good photo of her with the A-7 which we have coming. They go together like peas in a pod.

354th_Tactical_Fighter_Wing_3_A-7Ds_bombing_with_F-111.thumb.jpg.8a6f6ef21be15ab22f03a5eb174326c1.jpg

709477040_QnfbdsNBLskb1ut18LX2wSZef4AOdk5qCb7ZvMj_Jis.jpgautowebpampsf014dc8e4dde5ec07c1a86bc53ff9f1d51c63aef.thumb.jpg.c444fc435d7b73f5226f4a1fcc31458a.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yeah "The last Gunfigther" is another Iconic airframe that is actually coming to DCS World. It probably won't stack up that well against the Mig-21BIS but who knows, it might actually not fare that badly.

Lurker,

Just FYI brother, the F-8 Crusader was "The Last Gunfighter". The A-7 Corsair was the "SLUF, Short Little Ugly F***ER". A lot of people get the two aircraft mixed up, probably because of the nose intake. Magnitude 3LLC is doing the Crusader and Flying Iron Simulations is doing the A-7E Corsair II. Cannot wait for both of them.

I love the community A-4E Skyhawk but I wish a licensed 3rd party would do one so we have proper flight modeling and comms. The radios do not work and the Carrier ops are sketchy at best. From what I understand, a lot will never be implemented do not having full access to the SDK. I cannot knock them though, they have done an amazing job for what they have been given to work with. A lot of love has gone into this free mod. I still enjoy flying her but I feel naked without the full implementation of some of the systems.

Almost forgot to add the F-8 Crusader was an even match against the Mig-21 and Mig-17 over Northern Vietnam. Kill ratio was 6 to 1 and some pilots argued 7 to 1. According to my research, because the lack of BVR capabilities of the F-8, the Crusader had a mature training program for dog fighting and highly emphasized these tactics with the pilots. This coupled with the maneuverability of the aircraft made her a handful for the Migs. She was highly capable with 4 20mm canons and a healthy load of IR missiles.

There is a lot of good reading out there on the air war over Vietnam. Cannot wait till this makes it to DCS. The BVR boys will be in trouble. From the sound of it stringent rules of engagement, weather, and long distances flights were a few of the problems US pilots ran into, forcing close 1 on 1 dogfight scenarios with the Migs. It sounds like they had the upper hand on strategizing when to attack US pilots and how much time the US had to engage before heading back do to low fuel ect... One of these days we will see the rice paddies of Vietnam in DCS. There are A LOT of us waiting for that day! Including your fan crew wanting the F-111.

F-8 Crusader

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.5cc41578c11a87d769980c9494136eca.jpg

A-7E Corsair

210329323_A-7E_Corsair_II_of_VA-146_in_flight_on_16_November_1974_28NNAM_1996_253_7100.03929.thumb.jpg.adf340695b608aa1429303741d34d9ba.jpg

A-4E Skyhawk

A-4E_Skyhawk_from_VA-45_in_flight_in_1972.thumb.jpg.626456ce3fab7290a2bdac3242a8deda.jpg

I agree 100%. I think the Marianas map will be a good filler until the time comes Vietnam is introduced. I am almost looking forward to the hype train as much as I am the content when it actually gets announced.

I remember the old Wings over Vietnam game. Loved it for its time. Looking forward to see who picks up the Vietnam map and how big it will be.

going back to the F-111, if the aardvark ever makes her debut, we need Northern Vietnam.

I would gladly welcome an early 90s spec F-111F. The speed it was capable of at low altitude would make lobbing GBUs very interesting.

My favourite one as well - either late 80s or early 90s (either would fit in with the F-14s we're currently getting).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

We definitely need a Vietnam map someday! The Caucasus map being used as such is an immersion killer, for me anyway!

Robin Takolander had a Vietnam mod for the Caucasus map. Made the forests look like jungle. More mud. Rivers darker. Was actually kinda cool. :)