AIM-7 Pitbull

Vyrtuoz

I am not sure AIs even use HOJ feature but maybe...

The pilot (be it AI or human) doesn't have to do anything to use HOJ. The missile switches to HOJ automatically if it detects a signal from the target.

@Flappie Great video! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

@QuiGon Ok I wasn't sure it was automatic.

I am always confused about the missile logic and whether the ground crew, the pilot or the missile decides about the behaviors.

HoJ or not, Loft or not, if a Fox3 goes pitbull and when...

Some aircrafts seems to have some options they can setup like loft or not and some doesn't.

I've also heard that the active guidance of the Sparrow was not always activated and sometimes it could only be used as Fox1 (I think in PD STT)

Also to me, automatic HoJ seemed dangerous in a fur ball so I thought it was an option the pilot needed to setup in the SMS

I'll have to read more about it ; about how this different missile parameters are activated in real life and how it is in DCS ; maybe there are shortcut taken by DCS or features not yet implemented since 90% of the modules are in early access :)

Thanks

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

You are thinking of the AIM-54 and F-14, which behaves as either SARH or ARH depending on launch mode (IRL that is, not yet in DCS). Also, HOJ only works against a target that was origngally locked iirc. I dont think you can "maddog" and AIM-7 and have it find a freindly, though I could be wrong. Afaik the ground crew doesnt control anything missile related, its all based on the plane and whats defined in the files for the missile.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

The AIM-7 and most other SARH missiles will HOJ, and don't actually require to be fired in HOJ mode. Even turning ECM on POST launch will indeed allow it to continue guiding if the host radar drops the lock for any reason. The game logic does seem to limit them to only tracking the actual target they were launched at, with one exception. That one exception may have been a bug during a specific update, but I've had an AIM-7 take a steep intercept angle above the target, miss but loopback and start guiding back at me. Yes it was pulling G right back in to my radar, but just missed me. I was able to repeat it. Might still have the Tacview.