Voice comms for landing

Devil 505

This may have already been discussed, but is there a way to use a mic and call 3/4 of the mile when getting ready to land? It is a pain in the ass trying to watch when the command is available to hit F2 and then call the ball. I would much rather be able to call the ball myself. Even better, call all the inbound traffic to the carrier.

If not, is this something ED is looking at for a possible addition? I know there was talk about improving radio comms. I hope something along these lines get implemented.

It's not viacom, it's vaicom, if you want to google it. There is a subforum for it here as well. It's used as a plugin for VoiceAttack, so you need both. Can be a little bit finicky to set up correctly, but once you get it working, it's wonderful. Especially if you're using VR. And it really adds to the immersion to really talk to ATC, ground crew, your wingman, etc. I really recommend it!

• Like 1

The easiest way will be to download the VoiceAttack Demo FOR FREE and just make that one command. If you need help with making the command(s) feel free to ask. There are many ways to do it based on your preferences. The VoiceAttack+VAICOM solution above will cost about $20-$30. If you are looking "just" for a solution for the carrier, use the VA demo. If you want much more, pick up VoiceAttack. It's 400x worth it!

https://voiceattack.com/Default.aspx

• Like 1

Binding "Call the ball" to a button is the easiest quickest option.

Voiceattack is brilliant - and I highly recommend it. You could bind the keypress for "Call the ball" to Voiceattack yourself.

Vaicom is another addon (to voice attack) as others have recommended that allows for lots of radio communication within it. I hear people rave about it - I actually found the change from DCS standard to DCS + voice attack to be greater than from Voice attack to Voice Attack + Vaicom.

Don't misunderstand - Vaicom is handy. I love to be able to call 'inbound', 'request refueling' (which immediately refuels without bringing up the rearm window) and a few other calls as well as "Select nearest airfield", but keep feeling as though I'm missing commands because of the way others rave about it. For me - the best addons it could have would be things such as "Request nearest carrier tacan" and get a tacan number quoted back for me to dial in, etc as well as options to support CTLD and some other common menu scripting items natively.