Cold War Pack? Maybe?

So, I had an idea to run up the flagpole.... Who here would like to see a "Cold War Pack" of tanks, AI-controlled aircraft, and Ships that span the length of the Cold War? (from about 1950-1989). Intended units include:

- M47/48 Patton

- M551 Sheridan

- Super Sherman

- Centurian

- Conquerer

- M103 (likely using the A2 model)

- M110 Howitzer

- Des Moines Class Cruiser

- Bainbridge Classe Guided Missile Destroyer

- Iowa 1950 and 1985

- Fletcher with the FRAM upgrades

- Stugeon Class Attack Submarine

- Los Angeles Class Attack Submarine

- James Madison Class Ballistic Missile Submarine

- Ohio Class Ballistic Missile Submarine

- 'Typhoon' Class Ballistic Missile Submarine

- Midway Class Aircraft Carrier

- Spruance Class Destroyer

- P2 Neptune

- P3 Orion

- Avro Vulcan

- Assorted B52 Variants

- B29D, B50 and Tu4

- B-47 Stratojet

And any other Cold War era ship, tank, or aircraft that you, the player base, wants to see in the game IF this module were to be made.

Suggested craft to date:

- 3M

- An-12

- Be-12

- Il-28

- Ka-31

- La-15

- Mi-4

- MiG-17

- Su-15

- Tu-16

- Yak-28

- ZSU-57-2

- Assorted Airfield and FOB vehicles

• Like 6

I'd purchase such a pack in a hearbeat, tough I would add soviet AAA & artillery of the period as well as trucks and airbase vehicles of that timespan. Also keep the list short (why 4 different US submarines ? )

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I'd purchase such a pack in a hearbeat, tough I would add soviet AAA & artillery of the period as well as trucks and airbase vehicles of that timespan. Also keep the list short (why 4 different US submarines ? )

The reason for that is that the Sturgeon and James Madison are older boats (circa 1960s), and also because my ol'man served on one of each as a sono-tech. The Soviets would also get some of the older boats, it's just that at the time of writing, I couldn't remember what they were named of hand.

But yeah, the Zu57 would certainly be added, as well as some lend-lease 40mm AA Guns left over from WW2 on truck beds.

Also, I have no intention to keep the list short.... after all... I want people to be able to create the perfect scenario that can either be set in the Cold War, or, set in a fictional state that still uses much of the Cold War tech and is modernizing (so they'd have much of it in the inventory anyway)

We really need Korean War assets. Air and ground.

Maybe

An-2, B-26,B-47,F-9f,LA-11, P2,F-84,Yak-9,DH100,A1 Skyraider for aircraft.

We have p-51,F-86,Mig -15 and 3rd party - B-29, Bell-47,C-47, Spitfire (As a Seafire standin)( (If they all still work)

Corsair and Meteor are being worked on I believe.

Tanks - T-34/85, M-26 Pershing, Centurion, Joseph Stalin

AAA-Korea-100mm KS-19, 37mm 1939, 85mm - US - 90mm m1,M-19 spaa.

Artillery - 122mm, US and allied - 155mm long tom,105mm M101a1, 5.5 "

Trucks - Dodge M37, Morris c8, Willys jeep, GMC CCKW, M3 scout, Gaz -67, BTR-40

Thats alot of stuff :(

​​​​​​​

Agree. On my little own, dear Rudel, I'd like to have added some more Russian subs, keeping those USN safe and sound (even I realize well that DCS isn't a proper naval sim, but the same please let me dream on a little more time about:megalol:).

With best regards.

If you work correctly and accurately with modern tools, there is not a single vehicle on earth which is quick to model ;)

There are some people who are capable of making stupidly high detail models within days.... how the hell they do it, I dunno, but it's certainly possible. That being said, certain things can be reused over and over, such as certain wheel designs and weapons (like the M2HB).

There are some people who are capable of making stupidly high detail models within days.... how the hell they do it, I dunno, but it's certainly possible. That being said, certain things can be reused over and over, such as certain wheel designs and weapons (like the M2HB).

I sometimes did so for my frenchpack, amx 10 RCR was made in 5 days, some models for star wars modpack in 3 (average 400 000 tris and 20 to 40 4k textures). The secret ? Wake up at 6, finish at 23, start again the day after ^^

A T 72 for example would be kinda long to make in a very detailed way, using 3ds, zbrush, and substance painter. Example : the tracks parts if you animate it physically (like on my leclerc) you'd have to animate each piece one after the other (4-6 hours of work only for this part). The Leclerc serie 21 on my FP required 2 months of work at a normal rythm as it is very accurate and I couldn't spend my whole days on it.

So it's not working fast but intensively. The above list is doable, but you'd require a very motivated person. Plus the income allowed by such a pack compared to the amount of work doesn't make it that interesting to make. ED proposed me 9.99 dollars for the FP when we discussew about it, which leads to about 7 dollars for me before taxes. Taking into consideration that a vehicle would be around 40-50 h of work minimum, some being about 150, well, not very interesting when a pack to be sold needs 20-30 vehicles, and frenchpack quality level is the minimum quality standard they would require, meaning that you still can do far better.

Nowadays most modders don't even know how to produce pbr textures... It's not a critic just an observation. So if most modders wanted to start such thing, they would have to learn many new tools.

And as a last part, reusing already made stuff which so fastens your workflow is 90% a myth. On a completely french vehicle pack, with 30 vehicles from only 4 differents manufacturers, except some rare machine guns, even tires vary from a vehicle to another so the common elements are very rare and often limited to very specific parts which are not even clones but look like the same and are quite fast to adapt.

I mean by this that between a t 62, t64, 72, 80, there is strictly nothing in common except for 2 of them the roof top mg. Even if they all "look the same". Same goes for us or euro vehicles. So well, if someone wants to produce such thing at ed quality standards, of course he can, but he will need a shitload of freetime, no secret unfortunately. ^^

Nicolas

• Like 2

I sometimes did so for my frenchpack, amx 10 RCR was made in 5 days, some models for star wars modpack in 3 (average 400 000 tris and 20 to 40 4k textures). The secret ? Wake up at 6, finish at 23, start again the day after ^^

A T 72 for example would be kinda long to make in a very detailed way, using 3ds, zbrush, and substance painter. Example : the tracks parts if you animate it physically (like on my leclerc) you'd have to animate each piece one after the other (4-6 hours of work only for this part). The Leclerc serie 21 on my FP required 2 months of work at a normal rythm as it is very accurate and I couldn't spend my whole days on it.

So it's not working fast but intensively. The above list is doable, but you'd require a very motivated person. Plus the income allowed by such a pack compared to the amount of work doesn't make it that interesting to make. ED proposed me 9.99 dollars for the FP when we discussew about it, which leads to about 7 dollars for me before taxes. Taking into consideration that a vehicle would be around 40-50 h of work minimum, some being about 150, well, not very interesting when a pack to be sold needs 20-30 vehicles, and frenchpack quality level is the minimum quality standard they would require, meaning that you still can do far better.

Nowadays most modders don't even know how to produce pbr textures... It's not a critic just an observation. So if most modders wanted to start such thing, they would have to learn many new tools.

And as a last part, reusing already made stuff which so fastens your workflow is 90% a myth. On a completely french vehicle pack, with 30 vehicles from only 4 differents manufacturers, except some rare machine guns, even tires vary from a vehicle to another so the common elements are very rare and often limited to very specific parts which are not even clones but look like the same and are quite fast to adapt.

I mean by this that between a t 62, t64, 72, 80, there is strictly nothing in common except for 2 of them the roof top mg. Even if they all "look the same". Same goes for us or euro vehicles. So well, if someone wants to produce such thing at ed quality standards, of course he can, but he will need a shitload of freetime, no secret unfortunately. ^^

Nicolas

Well, freetime is something I certainly have (thank you COVID...), so I could do it. As for the quality standards, I'd be shooting for a "high end RTS" level of detail and quality. After all, you could potentially have hundreds of vehicles on the battlefield at any one time, and the higher the LOD, the more it bogs down performance. Ships would obviously be given a different treatment, as there's nowhere near the same number of ships in a given scenario as there could be tanks. The goal would be to make it look *and* play good.

As for the cost... well... I'm probably going to be looking at it where the money comes from people buying the pack in large numbers, so $20 a whack (as an example) isn't that big of a concern to me if a few thousand people buy it (again, just a random number thrown out there). Yeah, I charge quite a bit more for each vehicle myself, but if I'm selling a pack of them, odds are I'm going to be relying on many hundreds or thousands of people buying it in order to make anything from it. Plus, at the very least, it does get the foot in the door for future projects that I, and whatever team I can assemble, decide to pursue.

The ultimate goal for this project, if done, is to give mission creators an even bigger toolbox for making missions set in specific time periods, which many people right now just don't have, especially with the naval assets.

I would definitely pay a lot of money for more AI 3D Models regarding soviet cold war era hardware, especially air force (Mig-25, Mig-27, Su-17, Su-15, Tu-16, M3, An-12, An-22, An-2, Yak-28. . .) AND soviet air force aerodrome infrastructure and ground equipment (shelters, ammunition depots, fully modelled static SAM sites (SA-2, SA-3) with infrastructure, pre start line, Towers and KDP, fuel depots, vehicles and support. Also ground forces would be a good bet. Everything between 60ies and late 80ies would be more than welcome and definitely filling a big gap within DCS, which is in its DNA and philosophy THE platform for cold war scenarios more than ANY other. . . aeeeehmmm... Marianas. . .what???

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Would love this!

Would probably add Skipjack and Tang-class submarines too, and maybe November, Victor, and Echo subs.

• Like 1

Website (DCS Content): https://sites.google.com/view/spinossimulationsite/home?authuser=0

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@SpinosSimulations

System Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 3060, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM

DCS Wishlist: F-8E/J Crusader, Kola Peninsula Map, F-14B(U), F-14D/ST-21 Super Tomcat