1080p monitor given, what do I need for Ultra Settings?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I have this monitor: HP 27o with these specs: 1920x1080, 16:9, 82dpi, no FreeSync or anything alike.

What would you recommend for CPU and GPU?

I don't want to waste any power / money because I am buidling twice the system.

I want to buy now or within the next two to three months.

Thanks for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

not much honestly...

I played in 4K around 60 FPS with an i7 4790K and a 1080ti. Settings mostly maxed out with a few minor downtunes on msaa and water....

for a 1080 resolution you will be fine with a decent (up to date) i7 or Ryzen7 and a used 1080ti or perhaps a 2060 super I guess

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I have this monitor: HP 27o with these specs: 1920x1080, 16:9, 82dpi, no FreeSync or anything alike.

What would you recommend for CPU and GPU?

I don't want to waste any power / money because I am buidling twice the system.

I want to buy now or within the next two to three months.

Thanks for any advice.

Well, that's a little vague to answer for sure. Answers to your questions depend on your answers to the following questions:

1. What is your maximum budget for the entire new gaming computer?
  2. Are you tech savy, able to install all the components, and configure things if there's the need?
  3. What parts from your older computer are you thinking of using in this new one?

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Thank you for your replies.

1. What is your maximum budget for the entire new gaming computer?
  2. Are you tech savy, able to install all the components, and configure things if there's the need?
  3. What parts from your older computer are you thinking of using in this new one?

1. I will build a VR gaming computer late 2021 / early 2022. What I need until then is a machine to run DCS with my 1080p monitor. This machine will then become an office rig and won't be used for gaming. That's why I don't need future-proof components. Also, I am buidling the system twice.

2. I can setup and assemble myself. I won't overclock.

3. I won't be using parts from my old computer.

I'd like the game to look approximately like Matts Setup,

and was about to get the 5600X, but I wonder if a Ryzen 3 3100 + GTX 1660 or equivalent would be sufficient.

Thank you for your time.

1. I will build a VR gaming computer late 2021 / early 2022. What I need until then is a machine to run DCS with my 1080p monitor. This machine will then become an office rig and won't be used for gaming. That's why I don't need future-proof components. Also, I am buidling the system twice.

2. I can setup and assemble myself. I won't overclock.

3. I won't be using parts from my old computer.

I'd like the game to look approximately like Matts Setup,

and was about to get the 5600X, but I wonder if a Ryzen 3 3100 + GTX 1660 or equivalent would be sufficient.

Thank you for your time.

It will work for DCS, but certainly not "ultra everything".

Actually, I don't think anyone uses DCS on "ultra everything" for all mission scenarios. The thing is, DCS is on a very quirky, constricted game engine when it comes to using resources.

Something like a GTX1660 may get short even at 1080P (6GB VRAM is bottom limit for DCS) and, although capable, an R3 3100 will also show some limitations (inter-CCX latency issues on Ryzen 1st and 2nd gen).

An Intel i3-10100F with an RTX2060 Super 8GB (or RX5700 8GB as alternative) will show noticeably better performance for just a little more money, and that's what I'd recommend for a good performance "budget system" for DCS at 1080P.

Maybe spending on an interim gaming rig is not a good idea.

It may turn out better to wait a bit more and then spend away on the higher-end system that you're predicting going for, as you're already aiming for VR later (resources hog). Anyways, just a thought.

• Like 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

An Intel i3-10100F with an RTX2060 Super 8GB (or RX5700 8GB as alternative) will show noticeably better performance for just a little more money, and that's what I'd recommend for a good performance "budget system" for DCS at 1080P.

I didn't even know about the 10100F, thanks for the info. I didn't expect DCS to run on such a low cost CPU, even if paired with a decent GPU.

Maybe spending on an interim gaming rig is not a good idea.

Your probably right there. Maybe for now it's best to pair a cheaper CPU that comes with integrated Graphics directly with a rx6800 that I can then put into the VR-rig and still have the office machine functional.

Whatever, I now have some kind of reference point, which is very helpful.

I didn't even know about the 10100F, thanks for the info. I didn't expect DCS to run on such a low cost CPU, even if paired with a decent GPU.

Your probably right there. Maybe for now it's best to pair a cheaper CPU that comes with integrated Graphics directly with a rx6800 that I can then put into the VR-rig and still have the office machine functional.

Whatever, I now have some kind of reference point, which is very helpful.

Yep, in a world where "mine is bigger than yours" seems so important, people didn't pay attention when it got announced and released, but the i3 10100F is basically an improved i7 6700K (but not overclockable)... for about 80,00 Euros! :)

DCS runs on 2 cores (maybe 2 and 1/2 cores), and that being a nice 4 core 8 thread chip is actually really, really good as a cheap solution for lowest of budgets.

Notice that it does not have integrated graphics - the Intel "F" versions of processors don't have it to be slightly cheaper (20,00 Euros or so less) than the standard versions which do have IGP.

Edited by LucShep
added video comparing "i3 10100 VS i7 7700K"

Spoiler