Quest 2 DCS VR

Viciam1

Hi all,

So I recently got an oculus quest 2 which I've been using to play DCS. Love the immersion experience and I don't think I can ever play DCS without VR again. The issue is the resolution sucks in VR so bad in DCS. Is there anything I can do to improve my DCS VR experience please?

My PC specs are

i9 10050k

RTX 3080

32gb Ram

VR headset is Oculus Quest 2 with link cable.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Well, it's not DCS's fault. I would expect a lot of tinkering needed, if i try the game on a HMD that isn't even designed for PCVR in the first place.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Hi all,

So I recently got an oculus quest 2 which I've been using to play DCS. Love the immersion experience and I don't think I can ever play DCS without VR again. The issue is the resolution sucks in VR so bad in DCS. Is there anything I can do to improve my DCS VR experience please?

Hey dude, help is on the way here :) Just kidding.

So, what you gotta do right now is this:

1. On you PC in Oculus Home App go to "Settings - > Beta" and Enable Beta channel

2. Wait till v.23 beta software installation finished, after that goto Oculus software folder (C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics) and run Oculus Debug tool.

3. Set this values in tool:

3.1: Pixels per display override: 1.6

3.2: Oculus link Distorting Curvature: Low

3.3: Oculus link Encode bitrate: 500

Should look like this:

dcsvr_quest2.png.5421741fd47ec3453c80cfc6c13aeff1.png

Also goto https://www.gamersbynight.com/dcs-settings-vr/ and make your DCS settings according to this page. After that run DCS and see the picture )))

P.S.

Sadly you'll need to set settings in Oculus Debug Tool every time when you start Oculus Home. There's Oculus Tray tool that can simplify process, but they didn't update it for V.23 yet. V.23 software provides settings for Encode Bitrate for link cable, so you can have better picture. Without it you won't get good picture yet.

• Like 3

With best regards, Albert R. Valiev

----

Oculus Rift S, i7-8700, RTX-2070, 32Gb RAM, M2 SSD (X4 PCI-E mode).

UPD: Actually light correction: you can set Distortion Curvature to High instead and you'll get more PD at the center. I recomment to play with this setting to see what suits you the best though.

With best regards, Albert R. Valiev

----

Oculus Rift S, i7-8700, RTX-2070, 32Gb RAM, M2 SSD (X4 PCI-E mode).

Well, it's not DCS's fault. I would expect a lot of tinkering needed, if i try the game on a HMD that isn't even designed for PCVR in the first place.

Actually, it is DCS's fault, because you need to seriously compromise things to run in VR and it still runs pretty bad. Moreover he is not "running it on the Quest 2", he's either streaming it wirelessly to the headset or using oculus link. And his HMD resolution is bigger than yours, and significantly so, at 1832×1920px per eye vs Index's 1440×1600px per eye. IDK about the FOV yet, my friend got a Quest 2 but due to the pandemic I don't rush to try it in DCS but I'm seriously considering buying one as a stopgap between Index and a true gen2 steamvr headset.

So, if we're done with HMD elitism, DCS own PD setting in VR menu is easier than using oculus debug tool - and it's values are "stronger", meaning a PD of 1.2 is higher than supersampling of 1.2. It might be different on Oculus' side, sorry if it is, can't check.

• Like 1

It's more depending on user's hardware and knowledge to get the best out of it and to get DCS run pretty good in VR. Another thing is that no HMD runs VR game resolutions at it's native panel resolutions (it's always higher, example Index: 2016x2240 per eye). I suspect the streaming (over WLAN or USB) itself as a performance trouble maker, because it has to use CPU power which could conflict with DCS's own CPU usage. Maybe he needs to try to assign separate cores to the streaming process to get a better result. That's part of "tinkering" and trial and error.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Hey dude, help is on the way here :) Just kidding.

So, what you gotta do right now is this:

1. On you PC in Oculus Home App go to "Settings - > Beta" and Enable Beta channel

2. Wait till v.23 beta software installation finished, after that goto Oculus software folder (C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics) and run Oculus Debug tool.

3. Set this values in tool:

3.1: Pixels per display override: 1.6

3.2: Oculus link Distorting Curvature: Low

3.3: Oculus link Encode bitrate: 500

Should look like this:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tdcsvr_quest2.png Views:\t0 Size:\t18.3 KB ID:\t7117864","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7117864","data-size":"full","title":"dcsvr_quest2.png"}[/ATTACH]

Also goto https://www.gamersbynight.com/dcs-settings-vr/ and make your DCS settings according to this page. After that run DCS and see the picture )))

P.S.

Sadly you'll need to set settings in Oculus Debug Tool every time when you start Oculus Home. There's Oculus Tray tool that can simplify process, but they didn't update it for V.23 yet. V.23 software provides settings for Encode Bitrate for link cable, so you can have better picture. Without it you won't get good picture yet.

Hi Thank you for this, I will certainly try this and report back in the next few days. Also I was watching this

in this he puts up encoding resolution to 2912. Should I do that for DCS or is 500 fine?

ALSO, can you tell me what FPS you get when you play VR in single player and multiplayer? And how are your graphics/resolution. And what your spec PC is please?

It's more depending on user's hardware and knowledge to get the best out of it and to get DCS run pretty good in VR. Another thing is that no HMD runs VR game resolutions at it's native panel resolutions (it's always higher, example Index: 2016x2240 per eye). I suspect the streaming (over WLAN or USB) itself as a performance trouble maker, because it has to use CPU power which could conflict with DCS's own CPU usage. Maybe he needs to try to assign separate cores to the streaming process to get a better result. That's part of "tinkering" and trial and error.

This sounds too complicated for me. What if I mess up the settings and then it effects my other computer use such as adobe after effects etc. I don't want to mess up normal computer use for DCS.

With a 10-series i9 CPU (although his designation 10050k is probably wrong, because even ark.intel doesn't recognize it) streaming should be no problem with DCS' archaic single-threaded model. IMHO VR in DCS is currently a matter of compromises, even on a very impressive overkill top of the line setup like yours, Alec. Depending on a mission you run, fps can go as low as 30 in the air if there's a lot going on and that's on rather conservative settings. Hornet mission 2 is famous for being a performance hog for example. If a mission isn't complicated I get rather stable 60 fps (by using Index's 120Hz mode) on my older setup (i7-9700k stock / 1080Ti / 32GB@3600). I think I have SS dialled down to 100% for DCS and PD in game set to 1.2. Of course I'm talking about full modules, FC3 aircraft is not that taxing.

Hello so just reporting back:

I changed by settings in oculus debug tool to:

Pixels per display override: 1.6

Oculus link Distorting Curvature: Low

Encode resolution width:3648 ( I don't have the encode bitrate option )

I also changed the Nvidia 3d settings option VR rendered frames to 3

In game VR settings I left Pixed density the same at 1.6 as well.

And I followed the VR in game settings to the link provided above https://www.gamersbynight.com/dcs-settings-vr/

The resolution seems to be much better and sharper and is defo an improvement. However the FPS is still around 34-37. Is there anything more I can do to get it upto 50/60 ?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello so just reporting back:

Encode resolution width:3648 ( I don't have the encode bitrate option )

I think the encode bitrate is part of the version 23 software, which is a beta version. From https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-set-bitrate-update/

"Oculus PC software v23 is currently available on the Public Test Channel. To opt in, navigate to the Beta tab of the Oculus PC app’s settings. You’ll see it start to download in the Library tab."

Are you guys able to get smooth head movement in the cockpit with the Quest 2?

I am playing around with the settings in Oculus Home using 90Hz refresh rate. I tried all resolution settings from the lowest to the highest but the in cockpit head movement is the same throughout, it is consistently bad. I am getting high fps, low frame time up until 3920x1984 resolution, but while the flying is very smooth head movement is jittery. I also tried using the debug tool and the oculus tray tool as well, changing ASW modes but no luck so far. Lowering super sampling below 1.0 has no effect either.

My nvidia 3D settings for DCS are still set for the Rift S. This might be an issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

System:

i7-8700k stock

2080ti overclocked

32 GB RAM

Are you guys able to get smooth head movement in the cockpit with the Quest 2?

I am playing around with the settings in Oculus Home using 90Hz refresh rate. I tried all resolution settings from the lowest to the highest but the in cockpit head movement is the same throughout, it is consistently bad. I am getting high fps, low frame time up until 3920x1984 resolution, but while the flying is very smooth head movement is jittery. I also tried using the debug tool and the oculus tray tool as well, changing ASW modes but no luck so far. Lowering super sampling below 1.0 has no effect either.

My nvidia 3D settings for DCS are still set for the Rift S. This might be an issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

System:

i7-8700k stock

2080ti overclocked

32 GB RAM

I had the same thing and turned on nvidia vsync to fast and ASW on in OTT and it fixed it. If you drop below 45 fps you will get stuttering in that case you can lower the ASW in OTT to 30hz. I do have to reset the ASW every time I open oculus by turning it off and back to 30hz once you have enabled link.

What a difference! Setting the Vsync to Fast did the trick. Thank you so much jmuthy!

Would you mind sharing your other nvidia settings? I'm getting a solid 22ms frame time and I wonder if it could be lowered without reducing the resolution.

I pretty much have everything off or set to app controlled...except...

Power Management Mode: Prefer Max Perf.

Shader Cache: On

Texture Filtering - Neg LOD Bias: Clamp

Texture Filtering - Quality: High Performance

Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization: On

V-Sync: Fast

Pre-rendered frames: 3

Most of these I found by testing playing around so I don't have any reasoning/evidence to support why it works. Figured I'd share since like you I have been searching and playing trying find the best settings for the quest 2.

What a difference! Setting the Vsync to Fast did the trick. Thank you so much jmuthy!

Would you mind sharing your other nvidia settings? I'm getting a solid 22ms frame time and I wonder if it could be lowered without reducing the resolution.

Thanks a lot!

I am now running between 45-90fps at 11ms in most cockpits. The Tomcat is at a solid 45fps at 22ms. It is amazingly smooth.

Okay, I am now getting 72fps which is a nice improvement. This is in free flight f16 single player. Will test out Multiplayer etc. I did all the settings in Nvidia Jmuty pointed out. Made the pixel density 1.8 in ocuilus debug tool and set the pixel denisity to 1.4 in DCS. Its nice.

I think the encode bitrate is part of the version 23 software, which is a beta version. From https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-set-bitrate-update/

"Oculus PC software v23 is currently available on the Public Test Channel. To opt in, navigate to the Beta tab of the Oculus PC app’s settings. You’ll see it start to download in the Library tab."

Hey Falcon 87, hope you're good. I am now getting Encode Bit Rate Option. So is it better to put that to 500 or leave that at 0 and use encode resolution width at 3648?

Hey Falcon 87, hope you're good. I am now getting Encode Bit Rate Option. So is it better to put that to 500 or leave that at 0 and use encode resolution width at 3648?

What are your system specs?

To me bitrate 0 works much better than 500. Try it and see what it does. As far as I know, if you set pixel density in the debug tool, that will overwrite what you have set in DCS (I am using Oculus Tray Tool instead of the debug tool). Besides fps, frame time is also very important. If you can find a setting that keeps it below 20ms you won. Low level flying is just unbelievable with low frame times.