Quest 2 DCS VR

Viciam1

10 minutes ago, darkstarRAF said:

Hi Dodge!

V.25 currently pretty much bugged, I give you that, having had problems with it myself (though I don't have disconnect problem). As I mentioned in previous post - set encoding bitrate to >= 350, it helps with sound distortions / flickers and other stuff. For link disconnections - that's really random from what I've read over in OculusQuest subreddit, some people have this problem, some not. Also setting PD in DCS become nearly pointless, as it gives little difference in picture quality (though it still gives that, but at cost of FPS, so I'd play with that to see  what's more comfortable). But that got me curious and I will compare pictures to see the difference between yours and mine settings of PD (which is default in mine), that way we could decide more/less ideal settings for us too. Hopefully with the next update FB/Oculus will fix that link so it would work normally again.

Hi @darkstarRAF

The settings posted in my last reply above is currently what I've attempted my last MP game with (didn't go well but that's likely another matter). As far as I can tell, the bitrate is set at 500 (from the Oculus Debug Tool or OTT - If I open these. The 'no limit' bandwidth within the Q2 settings are also set. I believe this is default).

At the moment, because I've not used the OTT during my last gaming session, I have no other 'PD' setting other than the in-game DCS PD. This is why its set. However, when I have used OTT in the past and attempted to bump the SS and reduce the DCS PD, I have found the picture quality not as sharp (whether this is a technical or personal preference is unknown).

However, I'll likely try an MP session with the OTT (or Debug Tool) set with an SS set and reduce the PD, to see if it is as noticeable as I thought previously (I've not really toyed with this area since the upgrade to v25, which for me was nearly 2 weeks ago now). I'm still trying to resolve the regular 'link' disconnections which I wasn't experiencing with v23.

I'd be interested to know what your current configuration is, as I'll also try those settings to see if it (1) helps with my disconnects, (2) visual quality, (2) performance

Regards,

Paul "Dodge / LondonLad"

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, Thrustmaster Warthog (Joystick (Backup) + Throttles),VPC WarBRD-D Base,VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC ACE Interceptor Pedals, VKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset & Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset + TrackIR

Group: DCAF

Since v25 and v26 PTC I also have random link disconnects. For example yesterday on the Cold War server: All went great till the takeoff. After takeoff it stutters like hell and then disconnects.

Also I discovered a weird glitch. Sometimes half of my view are brighter than the upper half. Switching from cockpit view to F10 and back sometimes solve this bug. 

Settings in the ODT are standard and resolution is maxed out at 72hz.

Please Oculus fix this!

12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

I have been experimenting with fine tuning my settings over the weekend. Trying out some of the scenarios I have seen on this thread too. I run a fairly beefy rig (i9 9900 + 3090) so take that into account. Thought I would list some of the key parts of what I found out. Others mileage will vary....

1. I have found that as I was jumping in out of of reprojection (on low down, off at altitude) I get more consistent performance locking to half frame rate, reprojection enabled. I do this via ODT but I have found it doesn't always get acknowledged by DCS. Best way is to do it while DCS is running.
  2. I run at 80hrz with oculus res slider at max. Get this slider as high as you can before PD or SS elsewhere. 72 I can just see strobing sometimes, 90hrz just wont run as well.
  3. To get those cockpits sharped up, I try to add 1.1 in ODT supersampling. This is quite a large increase as its 10% of my full oculus res settings. I just about works but I do get ground judder - any more than 1.1 and the ground judder is just too bad. ODT SS and DCS PD have the same perf impact. I think ODT SS looks better for it.
  4. DCS Setting - MSAA 2x really helps with jaggies and 4x almost removes them completely. I really can't manage 4x so but I can't bear it off as its a jaggie fest. It does affect performance but worth it if you can.
  5. Link settings, I've really tried these and I can't see much difference in the higher range. I used to run at 500, now at 350. Really not sure which is better. I now leave the resolution width at 0 (default) as I have read this is set automatically. I've tried the full range of options and the higher settings are no different to default for me.
  6. Nvidia Control Panel - Vsync fast. I find this essential for smoothness and ensuring that DCS is kept to the 40fps needed.

DCS game settings are all fairly high. I've not tweaked these much as  I know what I like from other headsets and will try to get the others working before tweaking here. (Although I have tried replacing MSAA with more SS - this does not remove enough jaggies for me so MSAA 2x stays) There is much more personal opinion here so difficult to compare. I personally need some terrain (flat) and cockpit (low) shadows as I don't like the look without. I keep these low but they do cost still. 

Personally not had any issues with link disconnecting....yet...(v26)

Hope that helps someone!

Edited by Hoirtel
  • Like 1

Wanted to give the Quest 2 another go (I have a G2 and use only that one for DCS)... oculus link not working...I so bloody hate this.  

Seems there is always something else that breaks under windows.  But honestly...having a USB cable connection that doesn't connect...we are reaching new lows 😞 . Shame on you oculus.

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

1 hour ago, Brainfreeze said:

Wanted to give the Quest 2 another go (I have a G2 and use only that one for DCS)... oculus link not working...I so bloody hate this.  

Seems there is always something else that breaks under windows.  But honestly...having a USB cable connection that doesn't connect...we are reaching new lows 😞 . Shame on you oculus.

Exactly... Can you imagine? It works more stable over wireless connection in Virtual Desktop than a direct USB 3 cable... Incredible...

:wallbash:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

10 hours ago, Aries said:

Yes... Lots of unstable disconnects on V25...

I reverted PC side to V24 with this archive... now it's much more stable... Be sure to read whats on screenshot...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RL9QFcwwOeQn2rH7gA6OViYHH4u9vw09?usp=sharing

Thanks a lot! Now I am able to play DCS again!

12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

I'm also getting the Link reset issue now, but just about everytime its been associated with the loading phase of a mission. I haven't had any issues in play. I suspect it might have something to do with the new hand-tracking feature in the software. I disabled hand controllers in DCS a while ago so I bet doing that might prevent issues in play for others, but i'm unsure.

Good and bad news for my F-14 VR issues. The bad news is that the SSD did not fix the stutter/lag on F-14 or Syria. The good news is using both lxssapper's and Wazowsky's texture mods I did fix F-14 and can run DCS at high textures now. It would've been a bit of wasted money, but in fact I needed more storage space for this computer anyway so it's no big deal. 

As for Syria, still getting bad performance at texture settings-high. It looks fine on low settings anyway but it might be time to look into a VR textures mod for it too. 

Edited by DocHawkeye

I disabled hand tracking, which seemed to be when I first started experiencing the disconnects.  No Joy.  Still getting them, although I can click the Oculus link quickly and get back in the game.  I think reverting back to V24 software may be the solution since V25 is when I learned about hand tracking and started trying it.  Soon after, disconnects all the time...

I only get the disconnect when connecting to the USB-C port on my 2070. If I use the one on the MB it will not. BUT the sounds is stutters. It is more annoying in DCS  because of the additional sounds of lock tones, rwr etc.

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

Interesting so many people are getting disconnects. I do not have this issue yet. I am connecting via offical link to usb-c on the mobo. Are others connecting to gpu's?

I did have sound stutters and also an issue with the mic being ignored most of the time. Sometimes it would work. I "fixed" my mic and sound issue by using a wireless gaming headset and bypassing all oculus audio. As I was going to use plug in headphones it seemed to make sense to do this anyway. 

Hey guys ! 

So, I've been playing hundred of hours with my Quest 2 with no trouble, but since this week I just can't join multiplayer games. Single is fine but MP... When I'm joining it will randomly crash the Oculus Link... It may be after selecting my plane, as it can be 5 mins flying or pressing F2/F6 ..

Kinda sad since I'm mostly using my Quest 2 for DCS... 

EDIT . Just tried a tutorial mission and it got disconnected aswell... sigh... I can't play DCS in VR anymore. 

Edited by Pijama

There's some kind of relationship between flipping through external views and link disconnects for me. If I avoid rapidly flipping through external aircraft views the problem doesn't seem to emerge. The disclaimer here for me again is that I don't play multi so I can't offer any advice there.

My Q2 updated to v26 since my post above. In the few hours and several 'tests/attempts I have still lost connection a couple of times (no message indicating) I was able to reconnect to the session twice. For me, the overall picture visually seems better. It threw me as I had to check that I hadn't changed any settings 😄 (today)

I'll continue testing to see how this handles several sessions over the course of the next week.

FROM

Software Version

14624000073600000 Update

Version

Runtime Version

ver25.0.0.72.658.270434738

OS Version

user-1396980.8370.0

Oculus app version 25.0.0.57.658 (25.0.0.57.658)

==

TO

Software Version

Version

Runtime Version

OS Version

Oculus app version 25.0.0.57.658 (25.0.0.57.658)

Regards,

Paul "Dodge / LondonLad"

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, Thrustmaster Warthog (Joystick (Backup) + Throttles),VPC WarBRD-D Base,VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC ACE Interceptor Pedals, VKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset & Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset + TrackIR

Group: DCAF

1 minute ago, DocHawkeye said:

Today's update started giving me tons of Oculus Link disconnects...

What update? Oculus PC app or device firmware?

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

The patch just released by ED for DCS. It looks like it threw out my VR texture packs and im not sure if I can just reinstall them since I assume they need to be upgraded now as well?

OTOH Link disconnects totally went away when I just dropped textures to "Medium". Before I had pretty rough performance with the F-14 even at medium textures but now it's much more smooth. All-around performance between modules is more consistent now after this patch. Only trouble is that the Flaming Cliffs airplanes start getting pretty ugly at Medium textures and I was playing on High to accommodate them. 

I want to emphasize again that my "configuration" is that I have Oculus Quest 2 App running at 90hrz and resolution cranked all the way up. I'm also using Beta-Test updates from Oculus. I am not using Tray Tool or other 3rd party apps to intermediate between Oculus and DCS. Too much complication and no problems solved by em. PD in DCS set to 1.0 because it hurt performance and didn't improve image quality better than the Oculus itself did. Textures seem to be the bottleneck because the only time I had measurable improvements in performance is when I turned them down or used VR texture packs. Moving DCS to an SSD didn't improve anything. 

Edited by DocHawkeye

5 hours ago, DocHawkeye said:

The patch just released by ED for DCS. It looks like it threw out my VR texture packs and im not sure if I can just reinstall them since I assume they need to be upgraded now as well?

OTOH Link disconnects totally went away when I just dropped textures to "Medium". Before I had pretty rough performance with the F-14 even at medium textures but now it's much more smooth. All-around performance between modules is more consistent now after this patch. Only trouble is that the Flaming Cliffs airplanes start getting pretty ugly at Medium textures and I was playing on High to accommodate them. 

I want to emphasize again that my "configuration" is that I have Oculus Quest 2 App running at 90hrz and resolution cranked all the way up. I'm also using Beta-Test updates from Oculus. I am not using Tray Tool or other 3rd party apps to intermediate between Oculus and DCS. Too much complication and no problems solved by em. PD in DCS set to 1.0 because it hurt performance and didn't improve image quality better than the Oculus itself did. Textures seem to be the bottleneck because the only time I had measurable improvements in performance is when I turned them down or used VR texture packs. Moving DCS to an SSD didn't improve anything. 

Interesting because last DCS patch was only for campaigns.

Edited by diamond26

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

Stable changelog (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

Stable release full notes. More than campaigns, of particular interest to me is that the DDD's shaders in the F-14 were changed for better performance. I have suspected something in the RIO cockpit was being a performance hog. The DDD still might not be it, but before this patch I couldn't play F-14 with VR texture packs. Now I can play it fine at medium. High is still too demanding. 

Tried the Quest 2 again this morning and got disconnections... sorted it quickly... The usb connection to the headset is really weak and easily moves when looking around.   Need to use the velcro strap quite close it so that it has no movement at all.   Kinda annoying because it is more comfortable to fix the cable in the back of the head but for that you need a second velcro strap otherwise the usb is too loose.

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

5 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Tried the Quest 2 again this morning and got disconnections... sorted it quickly... The usb connection to the headset is really weak and easily moves when looking around.   Need to us the velcro strap quite close it so that it has no movement at all.   Kinda annoying because it is more comfortable to fix the cable in the back of the head but for that you need a second velcro strap otherwise the usb is too loose.

You need a cable with a right angle plug (like the official Oculus one). 

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

How do I get DCS (standalone, not Steam) working in proper VR mode using Virtual Desktop? I tried creating a profile for it in Oculus Tray Tool and running it from there and I selected the VR preset and checked that the Enable VR headset box was ticked and but it just runs on a curved screen floating in front of me and there's no headtracking and the control setup doesn't show any headtracking input device.

I also noticed that just SteamVR running can push the GPU to 80-90% usage even without DCS running. The Oculus software doesn't recognise any devices connected when using Virtual Desktop but SteamVR does and I can set the resolution, etc. although the controller test doesn't show anything when I press the buttons or move the sticks.

EDIT: I found I need to run it via Virtual Desktop Streamer by creating a link/batch file as explained in this thread.

Performance was a juddery mess though with my i5-4670k @ 4.3ghz, 32GB RAM and 1070ti though. With the A-10C II starting on the runway I had about 20fps and 49ms frametime. The only thing I changed from the VR preset was to increase Textures and Terrain Textures to High and Cockpit Displays to 1024.

Edited by doveman

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

16 hours ago, doveman said:

Performance was a juddery mess though with my i5-4670k @ 4.3ghz, 32GB RAM and 1070ti though. With the A-10C II starting on the runway I had about 20fps and 49ms frametime. The only thing I changed from the VR preset was to increase Textures and Terrain Textures to High and Cockpit Displays to 1024.

That is the problem... Quest 2 simply can not be pushed by old hardware...
I tried on 4790K@4.5GHz & 3070... was also stuttery...
Then I got myself a 2080Ti and downgraded to V24 of PC side of Quest software (Link) and all worked fairly well...
But... when I tried same settings on a modern medium range i5 10400 on H410 chipset... It all went smooth with that same 3070...
The new hardware is simply able to push everything more fluenty... Time to upgrade...
And maybe, just maybe it's about the video ram... on 3070 the 8GB were all the time maxed out in DCS, so don't push textures to High in VR...

Edited by Aries

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...