Quest 2 DCS VR

Viciam1

14 hours ago, Aries said:

That is the problem... Quest 2 simply can not be pushed by old hardware...
I tried on 4790K@4.5GHz & 3070... was also stuttery...
Then I got myself a 2080Ti and downgraded to V24 of PC side of Quest software (Link) and all worked fairly well...
But... when I tried same settings on a modern medium range i5 10400 on H410 chipset... It all went smooth with that same 3070...
The new hardware is simply able to push everything more fluenty... Time to upgrade...
And maybe, just maybe it's about the video ram... on 3070 the 8GB were all the time maxed out in DCS, so don't push textures to High in VR...

Yeah, I might build myself a new AMD 5800X system soon but more for music production than gaming/simming and I won't be getting a new graphics card until prices calm down.

I note the Link cable works at 2400Mbps (300MBps) and the Quest 2's WiFi only connects at 866Mbps (108MBps) and people say that increasing the Virtual Desktop bitrate over 90MBps doesn't show any benefit. I don't know if the Q2's WiFi is capable of connecting at higher speeds or if my router (BT Smarthub) is limiting it but both the Q2 and the router need to be 4x4 MIMO with 1024 QAM to work at 2166Mbps (which is close enough to the Link speed) https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Having had a play with wireless VR, I don't think I'd want to use a wired headset so I'm going to return my Q2 for now and wait to see whether they can increase the WiFi speed or if that happens with the Q3 and if they create a native Virtual Desktop/PCVR solution. Hopefully by then GPU prices will have come down, and WiFi 6 routers will be cheaper too.

I suffer quite badly with vertigo and motion sickness, so I was surprised I didn't feel nauseous running DCS in VR at 25fps, even in the Black Shark and the Huey, spinning all over the place because I haven't got my pedals or stick plugged in at the moment so I was testing using the keyboard and it's pretty hard to juggle the pedals and cyclic to keep helos straight with the keyboard but I eventually managed to fly in a straight line a few feet above the runway before ascending and flying at random until I got shot down. I felt disorientated rather than dizzy/nauseous, because I felt like I was in the aircraft but I couldn't reach out and touch the controls because they're not really there. I think that might put me off using VR more than anything, as that disconnect is too confusing for my brain!

Not specific to DCS but with the Q2 I find the blurriness outside of the center spot quite annoying, as it means I can't easily glance at things by moving my eyes and I have to turn my head to put whatever I want to look at in the center. I also found it quite tricky to position the headset correctly relative to my eyes and keep it in position. I'm short-sighted (around -3.75) with astigmatism, so maybe the positioning is less critical if you don't wear glasses or you buy the lens inserts but if your whole family wears glasses, it's a bit expensive to buy lens inserts for everyone at £45 each. 

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so just out of curiosity is it my processor that's hindering my Quest 2 from performing the way it should? I've been happy with my Rift S especially with tool tray and super sampler running at 1.3. i7-8086 CPU @ 4.00GHz - over clocked /  64GB DDR4 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080. Thanks in advance!

16 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

would think your video card does.  There is a lot of pixels on Quest 2... your 1080 must be overwhelmed.

That's why I went back to my Rift S. At least I know what I have to upgrade next. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

What min USB speed is needed?

I have the Quest 2 and DCS seems to run fine in VR. I'm using the current beta default settings in graphics settings in Oculus. When I ran the USB test I'm getting 614 Mbps

The cable I'm using...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L98BKV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB card:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08M5YHWFD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

System specs:

Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.906

Core i7 3770K

GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev1.0 (BIOS F-10)

32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 1600mhx CL 7-8-8-24

Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB (465.89 drivers)

Inateck KU5211 USB 3.2 adapter

1TB Crucial MX-500 SSD

(x3) Mushkin RAW SSDs

LG Blue Ray Burner DL

Antec 650w PSU

Rosewill Mid Tower Challenger

X56 HOTAS

TrackIR 5 Pro

Oculus Quest 2

Edited by 72westy

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3447 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU

Performance has mostly been fine but im still majorly bugged that running the F-14 cockpit on high textures causes massive FPS drops and no other condition seems to. I've tried different V-sync settings, lowered display res and refresh rates, turned on and off shadows. Nothing consistently affects VR performance for me more than cockpit textures. 

17 hours ago, DocHawkeye said:

Performance has mostly been fine but im still majorly bugged that running the F-14 cockpit on high textures causes massive FPS drops and no other condition seems to. I've tried different V-sync settings, lowered display res and refresh rates, turned on and off shadows. Nothing consistently affects VR performance for me more than cockpit textures. 

I finsd that MSAA really kills performance in VR.

I have a RTX 2060 and can get 60 fps in 4K with everything cranked up high on a flat screen but in VR with Quest2 have to turn of MSAA and drop textures to medium to hold 45 fps, I don't really understand that because it is driving more pixels in 4K than VR, weird.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

30 minutes ago, jib said:

I have a RTX 2060 and can get 60 fps in 4K with everything cranked up high on a flat screen but in VR with Quest2 have to turn of MSAA and drop textures to medium to hold 45 fps, I don't really understand that because it is driving more pixels in 4K than VR, weird.

VR requires more pixels than the headsets native res to mitigate distortion. Plus its doing it twice (one for each eye).

2 hours ago, jib said:

I'm also using RTX2060 (mobile in my case) and MSAA is no go. It's well known that MSAA is really heavy on VR. But you can use the VR reshade mod 

with very good results (only drawback is that you have to use SteamVR to get it enabled)

BTW what kind of setting are you using to get 45fps?

Edited by diamond26

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

On 4/8/2021 at 3:16 PM, diamond26 said:

I'm also using RTX2060 (mobile in my case) and MSAA is no go. It's well known that MSAA is really heavy on VR. But you can use the VR reshade mod 

BTW what kind of setting are you using to get 45fps?

In Caucuses map I use Medium (or high depending on the aircraft) textures , high terrain textures, shadows flat most other stuff off, VR resolution to 1.3.

I use Msi after burner to put a 1000mhz over clock on the Memory and 100mhz on the core clock.

In Syria I haven't finished tweaking settings to get a decent 45fps yet might have to drop to low textures 😞

Edited by jib
  • Like 1

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

So with 2.7 I am seeing the cloud jittering problem-but it's not that bad and it's being worked on. I had to reset my graphics and run new settings ground up. PD is set to 1.0. I still have to run terrain textures low and disable MSAA though. I'm not much bothered by either and for now i'm unsure how useful the Forest/Scenery Detail sliders are. 

I have had no link disconnects thus far, but switching between external views still leads to occasional stability problems. 

Edited by DocHawkeye

I've found the the cloud jittering depends on a number of things. I have had it pretty insignificant, but also yesterday tried an early morning broken preset across caucasus as low as it would go. Clouds were mad! Seemed like the pilot was on LSD.

I've found the scenery detail slider useful for assisting with the judder you can get flying low over cities, the forest does the same for trees but I can manage it on full with my system. I have set scenery to 0.7. Nice extra controls to have. The scenery is still there but the detail (e.g windows) doesn't load immediately and if you fly past at high speed I don't think it even bothers. 

For me, I get awesome framerates and clarity running through Link, but constant disconnects and white-bar artifacting. I've switched over to Virtual Desktop wireless streaming, with buttery smooth performance but low framerates and 720p quality for everything further than my wingtips. 

I had a link disconnect again too, but for the usual culprit of rapidly switching between external views. 

I've decided to leave textures way up, terrain textures low, and reduce Quest 2 App PD to 1.1 and have had consistent performance now. Before I could play the game with the Quest 2 cranked all the way up-with most airplanes. A minority such as the F-14 were causing problems and tbh I think i'm going to settle for consistency over anything else. I mainly want settings I don't need to keep tweaking and want stability in the headset. Later on i'll try pushing Quest 2 PD up again-slowly-and see what I get until I start running into frame drops. One thing I noticed with PDs on both DCS and Quest 2 set to around 1ish-MSAA works now and is stable at 4x. 

Edited by DocHawkeye

Hello everybody.
I'm evaluating the Quest 2 as my first VR headset.

How does Quest 2 cope with target sighting (air and ground)?
Is the maximum rendering resolution (5408 x 2736, assuming you can use it in the game) enough to be able to spot enemies?

Is the resulting sharpness sufficient to be able to easily read instruments / displays / buttons / etc ...?

My rig: Asus ROG Strix x570, Ryzen 5900x, 64GB RAM@3600, RTX 3080 10GB, two M.2 980Pro (one is used exclusively for DCS, 1TB).

Thanks so much!

Note: for those who have disconnection problems on the AMD platforms (mainly with the X570 and B550 chipsets) I recommend updating the bios of the mobo with the latest AGESA 1.2.0.2 (even if in beta version, it seems very stable and effective).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Panavia Tornado GR4 is a real need for DCS

12 minutes ago, jetkid said:

Hello everybody.
I'm evaluating the Quest 2 as my first VR headset.

How does Quest 2 cope with target sighting (air and ground)?
Is the maximum rendering resolution (5408 x 2736, assuming you can use it in the game) enough to be able to spot enemies?

Is the resulting sharpness sufficient to be able to easily read instruments / displays / buttons / etc ...?

My rig: Asus ROG Strix x570, Ryzen 5900x, 64GB RAM@3600, RTX 3080 10GB, two M.2 980Pro (one is used exclusively for DCS, 1TB).

Thanks so much!

Note: for those who have disconnection problems on the AMD platforms (mainly with the X570 and B550 chipsets) I recommend updating the bios of the mobo with the latest AGESA 1.2.0.2 (even if in beta version, it seems very stable and effective).

It works fine.  use supersampling (with oculus tray tool) to the tune of 1.3x or 1.4x and force to 30hz (Check Tactical Pascale's video on youtube -

.  It is not as sharp as a G2 nor as comfortable (even with the mandatory elite strap) but has a wider sweet spot.  I have both and never use the quest 2  

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

12 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

It works fine.  use supersampling (with oculus tray tool) to the tune of 1.3x or 1.4x and force to 30hz (Check Tactical Pascale's video on youtube -

.  It is not as sharp as a G2 nor as comfortable (even with the mandatory elite strap) but has a wider sweet spot.  I have both and never use the quest 2  

Personally in my testing I have found in game PD or oculus SS (ODT/OTT) not to be the best. Always increase oculus graphics slider first before adding anything else. On my 3090 I can use slider at max but adding 1.1 after is too much. It looks great but too.much judder in high demand scenarios. With oculus graphics in max I can read the altitude pressure setting in the f18 (my sort of yardstick!), with next step down oculus graphics slider it's just a little too blurry. I should note that all this is with msaax2 added as I feel that is the best way of reducing jaggies with the least impact x4 is basically jaggie free but things bit soft then too.

3 hours ago, jetkid said:

Very useful info here

Thank you guys.

@Hoirtel what kind of rig do u have to play DCS? I'm a little jealous of your 3090 ...

It's a good rig atm. But it will get old like they all do one day! I do use ODT or OTT to change your FOV multipliers to 0.9 each one. This is pretty much imperceptible and cuts down the workload while keeping that higher setting smooth. 

2 hours ago, Nealius said:

Has anyone experienced Oculus Tray Tool impeding performance? With the tray tool I get terrible stutters and artifacting. Without the tray tool I get fewer stutters and no artifacting.

I think it’s more a Problem of the settings of the OTT because all the options are possible to set without the OTT. What are your settings? 

Also there is a problem with various Quest PC and Quest Builds. Sometimes the USB Bandwith (settings to high causing stutters) or the ASW won’t work (change to disabled work)

12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

3 hours ago, Nealius said:

Has anyone experienced Oculus Tray Tool impeding performance? With the tray tool I get terrible stutters and artifacting. Without the tray tool I get fewer stutters and no artifacting.

I stopped using OTT as I found that sometimes certain settings didn't always register properly. I switched to the dubug tool which is a bit of a pain as most settings don't save, but not too bad to set it up each time. You have to enter your values then hit enter key or they aren't always logged. I find that switching between ASW options best done while link is active.

Edited by Hoirtel

2 hours ago, Max Thunder said:

I think it’s more a Problem of the settings of the OTT because all the options are possible to set without the OTT. What are your settings? 

Also there is a problem with various Quest PC and Quest Builds. Sometimes the USB Bandwith (settings to high causing stutters) or the ASW won’t work (change to disabled work)

I was running ASW off, default SS 0, all the other miscellaneous settings disabled, lowest possible encode resolution, and bitrate 250. The ASW off setting never worked, as I always had to do it manually via Ctrl+num1. I haven't touched USB bandwidth. 

Edited by Nealius

5 hours ago, Nealius said:

I was running ASW off, default SS 0, all the other miscellaneous settings disabled, lowest possible encode resolution, and bitrate 250. The ASW off setting never worked, as I always had to do it manually via Ctrl+num1. I haven't touched USB bandwidth. 

Ok with bandwidth I meant the bitrate. Sorry for that. What are you bandwith if you test it with the Oculus test? 

My guess is that the 250Mbit was the problem. If you set the Bitrate in the Debug Tool, is there the same problem as with the OTT tool?

12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

7 hours ago, Max Thunder said:

Ok with bandwidth I meant the bitrate. Sorry for that. What are you bandwith if you test it with the Oculus test? 

My guess is that the 250Mbit was the problem. If you set the Bitrate in the Debug Tool, is there the same problem as with the OTT tool?

Debug tool shows the exact same settings as what I have in OTT, even if OTT is not running. Same 250Mbit. Even says ASW is off when it is still on every time I run Link.

Edited by Nealius