Quest 2 DCS VR

Viciam1

I've been running the Quest 2 after grabbing one as a stop gap whilst waiting for Pimax to return my 5th RMA, and have found it a much better experience than the 5K XR or the newer 8K Plus headsets that I had purchased. I did tinker around with the settings in the Debug tool, and even with SideQuest for a while after reading a bunch of forum posts and watching some YouTube reviewers claim that they had discovered the holy grail, but never really saw any significant gains without compromises, and in some cases only saw performance drops.

I'm currently running the v28 bundle of the Oculus Desktop software and v28 of the Quest 2 software with 120Hz enabled, although link doesn't recognize this yet and despite the Oculus guide saying it should be available, there is no AirLink showing in my beta tab of the desktop software, but I much prefer Link over Virtual Desktop anyway, so I don't expect this to change my mind and use it instead. I'm running link via this cable from Amazon which keeps the headset at about the same charge level whilst I use it, so I can fly for hours and hours with no problems plugged into the USB C 3.1 port on my MSI z390 Gaming Carbon Pro motherboard. I will add here however that this cable will draw a lot of power from your system and a friend of mine that got the same one to use with his quest suffered from connection drops with link as it was drawing too much in combination with his other devices over his motherboards USB header. He downgraded to a USB A cable that only drew 3A instead of 5, and the problems went away.

I've added my settings below, and other than the Clouds making me want to throw up if I fly with them for more than 15 minutes, I've got the smoothest experience in DCS I've had in a long time. Running an i7-9900KF@5GHz, MSI Gaming X-Trio 2080Ti, 32GB RAM and Windows as well as DCS on SSDs of course.

I performed a full clean of my DCS and Saved Games folder before the update and deleted the mandatory FXO and shaders folders, but other than what you see in the images attached, all other settings (NVidia) are stock defaults.

The only thing I've ever done with my Quest 2 itself is add the Elite Strap and a silicone face cover for workouts which positioned the quest a little further from my eyes, but that alone gave it the largest sweet spot I've experienced in any of the VR headsets that I've used (Rift CV1, Vive, Index, Pimax 5K Plus, Pimax 5K XR, Pimax Vision 8K Plus, Pimax 8K X). At this point however, I've returned my Pimax headset for a refund (after the 6th one had a fault with the lenses), and only borrowed the Index for a extended trial, so the Quest 2 is the only headset I have without going backwards and until the next gen is out, I'm more than happy with it.

Final note to add, I pretty much fly the Hornet exclusively, so haven't spent much if any time in any other aircraft whilst I wait for the patch to fix the clouds.

Quest1.jpg

Quest2.jpg

Quest3.jpg

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
  • Like 1

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I still don't have a clear idea of what the "Use DCS System Resolution" option does on the VR page myself. 

After testing MSAA I can't say I noticed any particular improvement in image quality with it in 2x or 4x. Adjusting the mask size over .40 gets rough on my system fast though. I'll dabble with it a bit more but I might go back to just disabling it and pushing the Oculus Quest PD up instead. 

6 hours ago, DocHawkeye said:

I still don't have a clear idea of what the "Use DCS System Resolution" option does on the VR page myself. 

After testing MSAA I can't say I noticed any particular improvement in image quality with it in 2x or 4x. Adjusting the mask size over .40 gets rough on my system fast though. I'll dabble with it a bit more but I might go back to just disabling it and pushing the Oculus Quest PD up instead. 

Use DCS system resolution is for the mirror (image on screen) only. I guess it scales the image from a VR shape to the same res as the flat panel settings. 

Interesting your experience with MSAA. I find it is has a very noticeable impact on alasing. 2x really reduces jaggies, 4x they are basically gone, but with a little softening done and a fairly large perf hit. This could be to do with original render resolution. I have tried to get the same effect with PD or SS and just can't! As I use oculus on max it may make more difference as it's sampling larger frames to begin with. 

Edited by Hoirtel

I tried MSAA out again today and I might've noticed what I felt like was a small difference...but for OQ it's not worth the performance hit and I have better results just turning OQ PD up slowly and seeing what's stable. Up to around just under 1.2 at 72hz today and it was very stable. Jaggies don't bother me much but that's just me. The gains in situational awareness are more than worth the resolution issues. 

Edited by DocHawkeye

15 hours ago, DocHawkeye said:

I tried MSAA out again today and I might've noticed what I felt like was a small difference...but for OQ it's not worth the performance hit and I have better results just turning OQ PD up slowly and seeing what's stable. Up to around just under 1.2 at 72hz today and it was very stable. Jaggies don't bother me much but that's just me. The gains in situational awareness are more than worth the resolution issues. 

Maybe results varies depending on oculus graphics slider. Do you have this on max before adding super sampling?

I think it does. A few months ago I was playing the game with OQ PD turned all the way up. It would run acceptable framerates with most airplanes like the P-51 and Su-25, but it wasn't very stable and then some other airplanes like the F-14 were just postcards. When I turned MSAA on, even 2x on a small mask of like 0.10 it would just crash the game entirely. Eventually I could achieve stable play by turning everything in DCS way down, mainly textures and such but I didn't want to do that because the Flaming Cliffs airplanes I also fly a lot and they look awful at any texture setting lower than high. F-14 looked fine on medium textures though, and ran way better. So I could just switch the textures between medium and high depending on what airplane I was flying-the game doesn't even need to reload then but....phooey to that I want to reach a point where I don't need to tweak things anymore and can just play the game. 

Last week I was playing around with OQ PD at 0.9 and MSAA on 2x and while it worked it was a bit fuzzy for my taste. Framerates and stability were great though, no Link disconnects or other issues. 

Edited by DocHawkeye

3 hours ago, DocHawkeye said:

I think it does. A few months ago I was playing the game with OQ PD turned all the way up. It would run acceptable framerates with most airplanes like the P-51 and Su-25, but it wasn't very stable and then some other airplanes like the F-14 were just postcards. When I turned MSAA on, even 2x on a small mask of like 0.10 it would just crash the game entirely. Eventually I could achieve stable play by turning everything in DCS way down, mainly textures and such but I didn't want to do that because the Flaming Cliffs airplanes I also fly a lot and they look awful at any texture setting lower than high. F-14 looked fine on medium textures though, and ran way better. So I could just switch the textures between medium and high depending on what airplane I was flying-the game doesn't even need to reload then but....phooey to that I want to reach a point where I don't need to tweak things anymore and can just play the game. 

Last week I was playing around with OQ PD at 0.9 and MSAA on 2x and while it worked it was a bit fuzzy for my taste. Framerates and stability were great though, no Link disconnects or other issues. 

Not sure what you mean by OQ PD? Do you mean the oculus graphics slider in oculus software. This is neither pixel density or super sampling. If you read into it the max setting is what the Q2 needs for 1:1 resolution due to the barrell distortion corrections needed for VR. You should get this as high as you can before adding anything else. Super sampling is in the oculus debug tool, which is generally thought to be better for performance than DCS PD slider. I use 80hz on max oculus resolution (the slider) and MSAAx2 does really reduce jaggies for me. MSAAx4 is jaggy free which looks pretty good to me, just a bit too much for.my system to handle. 

On 4/22/2021 at 2:15 AM, Highwayman-Ed said:

I've been running the Quest 2 after grabbing one as a stop gap whilst waiting for Pimax to return my 5th RMA, and have found it a much better experience than the 5K XR or the newer 8K Plus headsets that I had purchased. I did tinker around with the settings in the Debug tool, and even with SideQuest for a while after reading a bunch of forum posts and watching some YouTube reviewers claim that they had discovered the holy grail, but never really saw any significant gains without compromises, and in some cases only saw performance drops.

Very interesting. With the settings you shared, are you able to read the instruments clearly and identify the targets properly?

Thx!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Panavia Tornado GR4 is a real need for DCS

I’m going to say yes, and yes, but let me clarify.

instruments, there are always some that won’t be crystal clear, but I can read all of the MFDs without leaning in, in the Hornet (except with the map on the centre MFD)

Targets, I can spot them well enough, and realistically, you would never be able to spot a fighter 10 miles out with the naked eye, but I can spot Hornet sized targets without zooming or labels around 5 miles. 

I don’t claim that these settings are the best, nor will they suit everyone, they’re an example of how regular medium settings work for me without having to tweak the hell out of everything.

best of luck!

- updated to add a screenshot through the lens from my phone. Sorry the edges are out, but I find it really tricky to hold the phone stable and in the right position to capture an image, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what the Quest 2 looks like for me. Even then, these images hardly do it justice...

IMG_0451.jpeg

IMG_0454.jpeg

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
Added a through the lens screenshot with the settings mentioned.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Today I tested the V28 PC Software with my Quest2 and link. Interesting is that still for my System the V24 runs much better. Don’t know why. 
Also V28 leads to this famous white stripe across the Headset.

So I am now back on V24.

If you are having problems with link maybe you try V24. For me it’s the best performing version.

12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

42 minutes ago, Max Thunder said:

Today I tested the V28 PC Software with my Quest2 and link. Interesting is that still for my System the V24 runs much better. Don’t know why. 

So I am now back on V24.

If you are having problems with link maybe you try V24. For me it’s the best performing version.

How did you roll back? When v27 broke my Q2 link I couldn't go back to v26 I had to do a system restore which seemed to fix it. Oculus don't seem to make older versions available from what I can see. 

On 2/22/2021 at 12:28 PM, Aries said:

Yes... Lots of unstable disconnects on V25...

I reverted PC side to V24 with this archive... now it's much more stable... Be sure to read whats on screenshot...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RL9QFcwwOeQn2rH7gA6OViYHH4u9vw09?usp=sharing

I used this solution which also was postet on the oculus forum.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Oculus-Rift-S-and-Rift/v25-PTC-PC-Software-Release-Notes/m-p/848375

Edited by Max Thunder
12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

6 hours ago, Max Thunder said:

So I am now back on V24.

Only problem with that is Oculus going to keep updating to the newer software.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Most of you have better systems than me , I have good results . Stable 30fps . 

quest2 software @ 72hz @ 1.5 all the way to the right . 

In OTT AWS is off .And link 2912 and 350 bit rate . 

DCS VR - PD 1.0 . 

Try it . 

You don't need 90hz in DCS as your never reach 90fps . 

Experiment with Quest2 software first then adjust in DCS . 

IF you go Quest2 @ 90hz your see the slider go higher to PD 1.7 . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

On 4/23/2021 at 3:34 PM, Hoirtel said:

Not sure what you mean by OQ PD? Do you mean the oculus graphics slider in oculus software. This is neither pixel density or super sampling. If you read into it the max setting is what the Q2 needs for 1:1 resolution due to the barrell distortion corrections needed for VR. You should get this as high as you can before adding anything else. Super sampling is in the oculus debug tool, which is generally thought to be better for performance than DCS PD slider. I use 80hz on max oculus resolution (the slider) and MSAAx2 does really reduce jaggies for me. MSAAx4 is jaggy free which looks pretty good to me, just a bit too much for.my system to handle. 

Yeah, see I figured it was a PD setting. Not just a resolution setting. This is how hard it is to figure all of this nonsense out if you're new to VR lol. 

I had to look carefully to see the reduction in screen-dooring (jaggies?) with MSAA but i'm...still not crazy about it. I want consistent performance under load, so i'm inclined to ditch it just to stop stuttering and frame drops from happening as much as possible. I'm still trying to push resolution and PD up wherever possible, but I think the way it sounds is that I should push those up first and then try to see if I can sneak in MSAA. I didn't think it improved the situation enough to warrant whatever performance hit it's making at some settings, but I did not in fact know that PD and Oculus Resolution are not the same thing. (The way the values are expressed in both DCS and Oculus Software on a 0.7 to 1.7 scale fooled me.) I might try out messing with the settings in the Debug Tool. 

Edited by DocHawkeye

Go 90mhz and 1.7 in Oculus software . 

Leave DCS at 1.0. PD . 

Change P.D.  in DCS if you want sharp up the graphics .  

Test and increase P.D. in game . 

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

The encode resolution of Oculus tray tool Is the same of the bar in Oculus software or It Is another thing?
There Is the resolution of the Oculus software
The PD
What Is encode resolution of ott? Thanks

Inviato dal mio motorola one macro utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DocHawkeye said:

Yeah, see I figured it was a PD setting. Not just a resolution setting. This is how hard it is to figure all of this nonsense out if you're new to VR lol. 

I had to look carefully to see the reduction in screen-dooring (jaggies?) with MSAA but i'm...still not crazy about it. I want consistent performance under load, so i'm inclined to ditch it just to stop stuttering and frame drops from happening as much as possible. I'm still trying to push resolution and PD up wherever possible, but I think the way it sounds is that I should push those up first and then try to see if I can sneak in MSAA. I didn't think it improved the situation enough to warrant whatever performance hit it's making at some settings, but I did not in fact know that PD and Oculus Resolution are not the same thing. (The way the values are expressed in both DCS and Oculus Software on a 0.7 to 1.7 scale fooled me.) I might try out messing with the settings in the Debug Tool. 

It is all a bit confusing! The 1.X in oculus slider is an arbitrary estimate of load on your system - just ignore it. Look at the pixel resolution. At its highest this is the full resolution of the Q2, but it can be tough to run. Get this slider to the highest you can first. This is the most important one and affects how others work.

Leave DCS PD alone at 1.0. No point in going less than 1 as you are effectively telling oculus to render a higher res than DCS is sending it. Just turn down oculus instead. I don't go higher than 1 as I will look to super sample instead.

What you can do is use the oculus debug tool in the oculus support folders (on your install drive) and change the super sampling to over 1, but this is a percentage of what you have set in oculus software so the higher your setting here, the more that will increase with any given step. Again, I don't change this either, as 1.1 is too much for my i9 and 3090 when running oculus at max slider settings (80hz). If you are running less than max then maybe using this to fine tune might be helpful. Oculus tray tool is a third party app that applies settings for you in the debug tool as the debug tool won't remember your changes between shutdowns. I don't use OTT anymore, I prefer just working with the debug tool and updating before each session

Screendoor and jaggies are not the same either. Jaggies is my term for the broken straight lines you see, say taxiway markings or  the sparkle across buildings and power masts etc. MSAA will reduce this but it costs fps.. Up to you if you want to use it, its very subjective. If you aren't bothered by this then dont use MSAA, you will reap the reward  of performance

Screendoor is the effect you get with VR headsets and is similar to looking very close to a normal TV screen. Nearly all newer headset including the Q2 screendoor is very, very minimal. There are not settings that can change this. Its related to the physical size of the LCD panels. If you ever use a rift S or CV1 you will see screendoor effect. Its fixed though.

So as if all that wasn't enough as Q2 users we have another hurdle which is encoding.. This can be problematic. Set you encode resoultion width to 0 (default), oculus can now control this fully automatically and is the best way. Bitrate, well this can go to 500, but is system dependant. The Q2 doesnt ever use 500, and I have heard this can cause issues. I see no difference at 500 or 350, so I set to 350. I think I have read that the Q2 doesn't really use more than 200. I think the default (0) is around 120 ish, this might work for you, but experiment a little here and see. 

Also I have modified my FOV multipliers in the oculus debug to to 0.9 on both the horizontal and vertical, I really can't tell a difference unless I measure my FOV but this does help improve performance. If you have settings  elsewhere that look good but just dont quite run smoothly, try this. It basically reduces the active size of your displays thus reducing load at  any given setting.

Hope that helps, its not easy, I have been a VR tweaker for a couple of years now! Sorry if you know any of this already, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any different experiences or solutions.

Edited by Hoirtel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On Oculus tray tool there Is set default pixel density for game that don t have pixel density option so if you use pd1 on dcs and 1.1 on debug tool i think you have 1 PD. Sorry for My bad english.

So the slider on the Oculus link software Is not the PD and must go all ti the right?

2 hours ago, Lorenzo.D said:

On Oculus tray tool there Is set default pixel density for game that don t have pixel density option so if you use pd1 on dcs and 1.1 on debug tool i think you have 1 PD. Sorry for My bad english.

So the slider on the Oculus link software Is not the PD and must go all ti the right?

Oculus tray tool and DCS PD (or any other  in game settings for other games) are different but they do affect one another. It can get quite mathematical if you want to really work it all out on a numbers scale. If you set 1.1 in DCS PD then 1.1 in oculus tray tool (or oculus debug tool - its the same control) the OTT 1.1 will be a larger increase than if you had 1.0 set in DCS PD and set the same 1.1 in oculus tray tool. This is because it is a percentage of what the game is running at. DCS PD is what resolution DCS is rendering to and then oculus tray tool is a percentage increase of that, or decrease if you set it to 0.X.

Worth noting that in oculus debug tool the default values are 0. This is again confusing as this means the SS is actually 1 - i.e no increase or decrease. Its the same 0 for all the settings that can be set with numerical values. If in doubt - leave it at 0. 

Oculus slider is different. All VR headsets need more pixels than the native resolution of the internal screens to account for the distortion created by viewing screens through lenses. Oculus allows you to control this so that you can gain more performance, at the cost of visual quality. It should be the first slider you work on (or only) and you should get this as high as you can, yes all the way to the right if you can run this. If not, then reduce it. There isn't any point in having this set low to only increase things elsewhere (PD or SS).

Sounds confusing as I write it! Apologies! As I said if you really want to understand it you will need to do some maths (excel) and research the difference between PD and SS. Jabbers did a good video on this with reference to steam VR and the valve index so not fully applicable to the Q2 but better explains the maths and PD/SS better than I have.

Edited by Hoirtel
  • Like 1

Anyone is experiencing the outside of the cockpit turning black on one eye? it starts from small dot until it fill all the screen but only the outside of the cockpit, you can see the cockpit correctly. It restarts if you change view, for example to F2 and come back to F1.

On a Quest 2 via AirLink, havent tried on Link (i throw to the drawer the cable when i first tested the AirLink) and it only happens on DCS.

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

4 minutes ago, 5ephir0th said:

Anyone is experiencing the outside of the cockpit turning black on one eye? it starts from small dot until it fill all the screen but only the outside of the cockpit, you can see the cockpit correctly. It restarts if you change view, for example to F2 and come back to F1.

On a Quest 2 via AirLink, havent tried on Link (i throw to the drawer the cable when i first tested the AirLink) and it only happens on DCS.

Yup, this happened to me on link cable. Really crazy odd. The black squares were growing even in pause mode. I had many of them growing and fading until one engulfed my entire left eye. Just quit the mission, not had it since. I've not reported it, probably should do.