Quest 2 DCS VR

Viciam1

5 minutes ago, RoboHackfeld said:

The thing is... if I watch any 4K DCS Stream or youtube video I want to have that in my VR Headset. The 4K ultra DCS looks so f"cking amazing. 

But nothing beats the feeling if u sit in the cockpit and start from a carrier. 😁 Love that...

First time you fly under a bridge in VR or first BFM - I came away from those laughing out loud!!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have an I9 9900k and 3080.

I use Airlink with max resolution (5k~) and 90Hz (45fps ingame stable), 120Hz is unstable (40-50fps, not 60).

100% GPU and 98% Memory is used... . I use MSAA x2 (more good visual).

No Vsync ingame and Fast Vsync in NVCP and this config :

image.png

I think I can't do better that than to get the best visual (resolution, image finesse, AA etc.. not the effect) and more stable fps?

What option I can set on Medium/High without any fps drop?

Thanks a lot!

Hi 

I just got a Quest 2 

I’ve got a 3060, 64gb ram i59600k @ 5.0.

I’m just getting my head round the settings I’ve got a baseline but I suffer very badly from shimmer. 

Im already using 2x MSAA and that’s my limit. Is there any setting in OTT or the Quest software (I’ve got that slider to the right and it’s on 72) that can reduce shimmer. In cockpit I have great gauges and visuals, it’s outside I have trouble. Everything outside a  20 m radius shimmers. 
I would like to sacrifice some cockpit clarity and have more terrain clarity is it possible to do? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scampaboy said:

Hi 

I just got a Quest 2 

I’ve got a 3060, 64gb ram i59600k @ 5.0.

I’m just getting my head round the settings I’ve got a baseline but I suffer very badly from shimmer. 

Im already using 2x MSAA and that’s my limit. Is there any setting in OTT or the Quest software (I’ve got that slider to the right and it’s on 72) that can reduce shimmer. In cockpit I have great gauges and visuals, it’s outside I have trouble. Everything outside a  20 m radius shimmers. 
I would like to sacrifice some cockpit clarity and have more terrain clarity is it possible to do? 

You could try disabling link Sharpening (OTT). That will make things less sharp, but reduce a little shimmer/aliasing. Also you can switch MFAA to on in the Nvidia control panel, minor effect, some perf hit. Mostly you will just have to get used to it for now. When you are testing and setting up it can be annoying but you forget once you start doing something properly. Running at high resolutions help but hard, you can knock down the FOV to 0.9/0.8 to help run high res.

Edited by Hoirtel

11 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

You could try disabling link Sharpening (OTT). That will make things less sharp, but reduce a little shimmer/aliasing. Also you can switch MFAA to on in the Nvidia control panel, minor effect, some perf hit. Mostly you will just have to get used to it for now. When you are testing and setting up it can be annoying but you forget once you start doing something properly. Running at high resolutions help but hard, you can knock down the FOV to 0.9/0.8 to help run high res.

Hi 

thanks I’ll give those a try. 

I have one more question, If turn off ASW using lctl num1 it displays a higher frame rate. Is the the frame rate for one eye or total for both? I understand with ASW on it’s one eye. 

30 minutes ago, scampaboy said:

Hi 

thanks I’ll give those a try. 

I have one more question, If turn off ASW using lctl num1 it displays a higher frame rate. Is the the frame rate for one eye or total for both? I understand with ASW on it’s one eye. 

Not really. They are both for both eyes. Never really understood the "per eye" data as it's fairly meaningless. If you turn it off then it's just displaying it's max total frame rate. If it's on then it's capped at half your refresh rate and adding in frames to make it appear like double that. This is why you get some ghosting. It's all trade offs. I always run at asw 45 forced as there is little point in letting it bounce around. Just stick to the asw cap is the smoothest experience for me. 

Edited by Hoirtel

2 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Not really. They are both for both eyes. Never really understood the "per eye" data as it's fairly meaningless. If you turn it off then it's just displaying it's max total frame rate. If it's on then it's capped at half your refresh rate and adding in frames to make it appear like double that. This is why you get some ghosting. It's all trade offs. I always run at asw 45 forced as there is little point in letting it bounce around. Just stick to the asw cap is the smoothest experience for me. 

I get you, would you say it’s the same as tuning performance for track ir unlock while you tune, get headroom and then lock (ASW). 
What I’m also trying to work out is if I’m doing stuff in a logical order. 

OTT or ODT does DCS need to be running in vr before you restart the oculus program for the settings to take ? 
should Ignore both of them and just work with the multiplyer in quest settings ? 

8 hours ago, scampaboy said:

I get you, would you say it’s the same as tuning performance for track ir unlock while you tune, get headroom and then lock (ASW). 
What I’m also trying to work out is if I’m doing stuff in a logical order. 

OTT or ODT does DCS need to be running in vr before you restart the oculus program for the settings to take ? 
should Ignore both of them and just work with the multiplyer in quest settings ? 

Yeah you can do it like that. I personally just tune with forced to 45 and tune to a track replay with something I consider to be high stress and representative of what I play. I dont use OTT anymore. personal choice, I use ODT and start + make changes once the link is connected but before DCS is launched. I have noticed that I need to hit enter after changing every value in a dropdown otherwise the don't always work (asw changes especially). 

Edited by Hoirtel

6 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Yeah you can do it like that. I personally just tune with forced to 45 and tune to a track replay with something I consider to be high stress and representative of what I play. I dont use OTT anymore. personal choice, I use ODT and start + make changes once the link is connected but before DCS is launched. I have noticed that I need to hit enter after changing every value in a dropdown otherwise the don't always work (asw changes especially). 

Thanks for the tips, my son is using my vr for Minecraft atm so I won’t get chance to do anything till later. 
I’ve got a couple of drives with windows and dcs scattered about I’m going to do a full windows reinstall and get my drivers and such like sorted before I do anymore tuning. 
I think I’m just chasing my tail at the moment 

On 11/20/2021 at 6:15 AM, Hoirtel said:

I forgot to ask using ODT or OTT do you restart the oculus service very change or is that only done if you change the bit rates 

thanks for the help btw I actually think I’m getting somewhere. And the tip about the saving the track has done me a world of favours. 

18 minutes ago, scampaboy said:

I forgot to ask using ODT or OTT do you restart the oculus service very change or is that only done if you change the bit rates 

thanks for the help btw I actually think I’m getting somewhere. And the tip about the saving the track has done me a world of favours. 

No I would only restart if I changed something major like that. But... I change values once the link is established and I do have to press enter after changing every single value for  it to be accepted (ODT). Also for quite a few months now I have been running with bitrate, resolution width and dynamic bitrate (airlink only) all at default values of 0 (auto). Oculus is now capable of managing these on its own and for my system I notice no difference to the higher values. I think this is important as you can over do these and just add/force stress rather than allowing the auto options to decide. Beware of some advice that is based on much older versions of oculus software. For a long time you had to set the bitrate or it looked poor, oculus has moved on their software massively in the last year. If you are on a link cable and do want to try changing bitrate, still leave width at 0 this will be automatically set in accordance to bitrate. If you change standard bitrate, then I have found this will break airlink (unusably slow "wobbly" connection) unless it is at 0. I have used airlink and it works just as well as cable for me, also with bitrates on auto. The only reason I now use a link cable is for battery charging!

Edited by Hoirtel
  • Thanks 1

My wife just bought me a quest 2 and gave it to me as an early Christmas present and first time loading up dcs it would let me lean in towards switch panels and move around cockpit like my cv1. But second time I loaded it up the menu and cockpit stayed same distance away and moved with my head not allowing me to move 6dof. I can look left and right, up and down but not closer to any switch or instruments. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Everything is updated and running air link fine with ax router until cable arrives. Thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, washedupgrunt said:

My wife just bought me a quest 2 and gave it to me as an early Christmas present and first time loading up dcs it would let me lean in towards switch panels and move around cockpit like my cv1. But second time I loaded it up the menu and cockpit stayed same distance away and moved with my head not allowing me to move 6dof. I can look left and right, up and down but not closer to any switch or instruments. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Everything is updated and running air link fine with ax router until cable arrives. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a tracking error. I would have thought off and on again would fix it. 

On 11/24/2021 at 12:26 AM, Hoirtel said:

Sounds like a tracking error. I would have thought off and on again would fix it. 

You are correct. I had the guardian set as stationary. Once I reset it that to room scale it was fixed. Or, at least through that cycle it was fixed. Thank you though, appreciate the tip. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 5:22 PM, Lensman said:

The DCS in game resolution setting has nothing to do with VR. Just leave it at your monitor's native resolution.

Doesn’t this add unnecessary load?  Should not the system res be set as low as possible?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

No. The video stream is just mirrored on your monitor, no extra work for your GPU.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

• 5 months later...

So I was reading through the OTT user guide and there were some things I definitely missed. I have a 2060 I7-9700k 32gb Q2. 

The encode resolution needs to match your PD.. I always ran it at the max. 3648 & 300 bit rate. After actually reading it, it clearly states not to over use the encode resolution or it will decrease performance, which it does.

2352 = 1.1 PD (moved my bit rate to 500 and have had zero issues with it)

I had my headset resolution maxed out but pulled it back to 4864 x 2488 at 80hz with ASW off and GPU scaling off.

GPU scaling does not play nice with DCS, esp with ASW. 

I'm thinking I may drop it to 72hz and move it back to full resolution... Then increase PD to 1.2 and 2912 encode resolution. I'll have to check the values to see what SS rate corresponds with what encode resolution. It also states that super sampling without increasing the encode resolution will decrease performance. So it goes both ways.. as per OTT.

I also in NCP enabled DLR upscaling and it looks pretty nice, without any noticeable performance loss.

If anyone here is savvy on VR development, it would be nice to get some details into how this works as it is one of the most confusing parts about VR.. 

From Oculus Development Community. 

In ODT, find the "Oculus Link" section with "Encode Resolution Width" and "Distortion Curvature". Also note the "Pixels Per Display Pixel Override" (short "Pixel Density") value up top.

• For most fields in ODT, 0 or "Default" means "do not override the value".
  • Changes to the "Oculus Link" values require an Oculus Server restart to take effect, which can be done directly inside the ODT menu option, or from the "Beta" tab in the Oculus desktop application.
  • Depending on the VR app, changes to the "Pixels Density" might require the VR app to be restarted, but won't require the Oculus Server to be restarted.
  • "Oculus Link" fields will persist after the Oculus Server is restarted.
  • "Pixel Density" will not persist after the Oculus Server is restarted.

Initial tuning recommendations - start with these and adjust as needed:
NVidia RTX 2070+ or comparable GPUs - Curvature "Low", Encode Resolution "2912", Pixel Density "1.2"
NVidia GTX 1070+ or comparable GPUs - Curvature "High", Encode Resolution "2352", Pixel Density "1.1"
NVidia GTX 970+ or comparable GPUs - Curvature "Default", Encode Resolution "2016", Pixel Density "1.0"

When tuning, keep in mind:

• "Pixel Density" is per-dimension. e.g. a setting of 1.2x means 1.44x in 2D, which means 44% more rendered pixels. 2.0x means 300% more rendered pixels.
  • Higher "Pixel Density" can cause dropped VR app frames and will vary based on the performance characteristics of the VR app.
  • Higher "Encoder Resolution" can lead to dropped compositor frames as well as visible tearing. This is mostly tied to the encoding capabilities of the PC GPU and Quest.
  • Higher resolutions in general can also lead to higher latency.
  • Unnecessarily high resolutions (especially "Encode Resolution") can lead to aliasing artifacts (i.e. pixel crawling) on high frequency details.
  • To revert changes, set them back to 0 or "Default" where applicable.

Edited by HoBGoBLiNzx3

I was just able to get Quest2 on a 2060 and i7-9700k 32gb to run at 60fps stable in MP (30 players on SoCal Caucus server) with very very good settings. Let me know if this works for any of you who are struggling with it as I had for about a year until today.

No mods except sound mods and OpenXR/Opencomposite.. Have Openxr tools installed as well as tool kit but I didn't touch any of the settings as I can't get the menu to work anyways.. 

Oculus--

Full resolution at 72 hz

OTT--

2352 = 1.1 PD   <--- important 

bit rate =500 <---important

dynamic bit rate OFF / dynamic bitrate max 500 (incase i turn it back on for whatever reason)<--- Important

GPU scaling and AWS OFF <--- Important

FOV .70/.75

homeless

realtime

mipmap on

NVCP---

DSR - select all options + 30% smoothing (global) <--- important imo

Anti alias enhance application (rest on app)

Low Latency - ultra

MFAA - on

Max performance

LOD- clamp

Textures High Quality

pre render 2

DCS---

Basic VR settings with

Textures low/med

shadows normal

secondary shadows on

global shadows default

global illumination on

clouds high

cockpit MDF 1054 every frame

AF - 16x

MSAA - 2x (with MFAA from nvcp enhanced)

no civs

sliders at 10k and rest around 70%

rest of the options off (besides rain drops etc)

VR tab - PD 1.0 (leave everything default)

I changed the PDI to 56 because It scales properly.

mirrors in cockpit are butter smooth, not much ghosting at all, no noticeable hiccups except for a few spots and it was fairly quick. Clarity is almost perfect. Almost no shimmering and jaggies. Even the cables looked nice and clean. Shadows didn't lag out the cockpit, textures worked well with all the shading as well. 

Also for windows make sure you run everything as administrator and DCS.exe with fullscreen optimizations off. 

I'm not exactly sure which of them is the most important but I can tell you with 100% certainty that the OTT settings are important.

Hope this helps anyone looking for some help.

57 minutes ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

I was just able to get Quest2 on a 2060 and i7-9700k 32gb to run at 60fps stable in MP (30 players on SoCal Caucus server) with very very good settings. Let me know if this works for any of you who are struggling with it as I had for about a year until today.

No mods except sound mods and OpenXR/Opencomposite.. Have Openxr tools installed as well as tool kit but I didn't touch any of the settings as I can't get the menu to work anyways.. 

Oculus--

Full resolution at 72 hz

OTT--

2352 = 1.1 PD   <--- important 

bit rate =500 <---important

dynamic bit rate OFF / dynamic bitrate max 500 (incase i turn it back on for whatever reason)<--- Important

GPU scaling and AWS OFF <--- Important

FOV .70/.75

homeless

realtime

mipmap on

NVCP---

DSR - select all options + 30% smoothing (global) <--- important imo

Anti alias enhance application (rest on app)

Low Latency - ultra

MFAA - on

Max performance

LOD- clamp

Textures High Quality

pre render 2

DCS---

Basic VR settings with

Textures low/med

shadows normal

secondary shadows on

global shadows default

global illumination on

clouds high

cockpit MDF 1054 every frame

AF - 16x

MSAA - 2x (with MFAA from nvcp enhanced)

no civs

sliders at 10k and rest around 70%

rest of the options off (besides rain drops etc)

VR tab - PD 1.0 (leave everything default)

I changed the PDI to 56 because It scales properly.

mirrors in cockpit are butter smooth, not much ghosting at all, no noticeable hiccups except for a few spots and it was fairly quick. Clarity is almost perfect. Almost no shimmering and jaggies. Even the cables looked nice and clean. Shadows didn't lag out the cockpit, textures worked well with all the shading as well. 

Also for windows make sure you run everything as administrator and DCS.exe with fullscreen optimizations off. 

I'm not exactly sure which of them is the most important but I can tell you with 100% certainty that the OTT settings are important.

Hope this helps anyone looking for some help.

So many variables. I'm surprised people see any gains using an open XR mod over the native support for the base oculus software. 

2060 is going to be a difficult card to run a q2 on. 

I have a 3090 and it will not run full oculus resolution and 1.1 supersampling as you have done above. This is a massive amount of pixels and you are clearly compensating for this with a large reduction on FOV and low textures. I don't think there is much gain on the Q2 in supersampling once you are at max res anyway, there is a limit to what the screens are physically capable of. 

3 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

So many variables. I'm surprised people see any gains using an open XR mod over the native support for the base oculus software. 

2060 is going to be a difficult card to run a q2 on. 

I have a 3090 and it will not run full oculus resolution and 1.1 supersampling as you have done above. This is a massive amount of pixels and you are clearly compensating for this with a large reduction on FOV and low textures. I don't think there is much gain on the Q2 in supersampling once you are at max res anyway, there is a limit to what the screens are physically capable of. 

I've always been a stickler for FOV and with the Q2's narrow FOV I found that it really didn't reduce any possible peripheral view. This post was for people with Q2's and mid to lower end cards that are having problems even achieving a decent frame rate without MSAA or anything more than 4x AF. I saw a pretty big difference in quality in supersampling on objects that are otherwise boxy because of the lack of performance in anti aliasing at higher quality textures. That can be said for literally any screen that is supersampled. That is what supersampling is..  

Supersampling is a method of antialiasing that attempts to reduce jagged, pixelated edges (aliasing) in images. It works by sampling a higher resolution version of the image to get the average color of a pixel before reducing it to the intended size.

The issue with having a lower end card is that you are fighting either a lower resolution and higher quality texture, which doesn't really help all that much when it comes to the perceived quality of the texture. Or a higher resolution and lower quality texture. Either way, anti aliasing will be less noticeable at higher resolutions. If you can SS, along with MFAA the downscaling will result in a much more clean edge. 

No one is maxing out the graphics settings with this hardware, I don't think anyone ever even claimed it was possible. It's a solution to the problem of terribly jaggies, any sort of MSAA smoothing it out without tanking performance. 

So if you want a higher cleaner lower quality texture at higher resolutions, this is essentially the only way to do it. That I've found at least. 

Also, OpenXR is part of the native oculus software. The problem is getting it to run as DCS calls for Openvr. From my understanding opencomposite calls the Openxr api from steamVR, as the game is launched technically thought steamVR.. any steamVR api launches openxr with opencompiste. 

Edited by HoBGoBLiNzx3

20 minutes ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

I've always been a stickler for FOV and with the Q2's narrow FOV I found that it really didn't reduce any possible peripheral view. This post was for people with Q2's and mid to lower end cards that are having problems even achieving a decent frame rate without MSAA or anything more than 4x AF. I saw a pretty big difference in quality in supersampling on objects that are otherwise boxy because of the lack of performance in anti aliasing at higher quality textures. That can be said for literally any screen that is supersampled. That is what supersampling is..  

Supersampling is a method of antialiasing that attempts to reduce jagged, pixelated edges (aliasing) in images. It works by sampling a higher resolution version of the image to get the average color of a pixel before reducing it to the intended size.

The issue with having a lower end card is that you are fighting either a lower resolution and higher quality texture, which doesn't really help all that much when it comes to the perceived quality of the texture. Or a higher resolution and lower quality texture. Either way, anti aliasing will be less noticeable at higher resolutions. If you can SS, along with MFAA the downscaling will result in a much more clean edge. 

No one is maxing out the graphics settings with this hardware, I don't think anyone ever even claimed it was possible. It's a solution to the problem of terribly jaggies, any sort of MSAA smoothing it out without tanking performance. 

So if you want a higher cleaner lower quality texture at higher resolutions, this is essentially the only way to do it. That I've found at least. 

Also, OpenXR is part of the native oculus software. The problem is getting it to run as DCS calls for Openvr. From my understanding opencomposite calls the Openxr api from steamVR, as the game is launched technically thought steamVR.. any steamVR api launches openxr with opencompiste. 

Yeah I know what super sampling is. My point was that you are running it at max res and then 0.1 extra on top this is really hard to do even on a big card. You will be much better off not running this high and you wont need so much compensation elsewhere. Sampling 0.1 of it a max res is a large increase as it's relative to the base resolution. 

Also yeah I know oculus supports open xr but you do not need to mod DCS to run it as DCS runs oculus natively which is the cleanest. I guess you want to use the toolkit, but again you likely only need this because you are slamming too many pixels at the card in the first place. 

It's just a bit misleading as the Q2 is very simple to set up on any machine. 

34 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Yeah I know what super sampling is. My point was that you are running it at max res and then 0.1 extra on top this is really hard to do even on a big card. You will be much better off not running this high and you wont need so much compensation elsewhere. Sampling 0.1 of it a max res is a large increase as it's relative to the base resolution. 

Also yeah I know oculus supports open xr but you do not need to mod DCS to run it as DCS runs oculus natively which is the cleanest. I guess you want to use the toolkit, but again you likely only need this because you are slamming too many pixels at the card in the first place. 

It's just a bit misleading as the Q2 is very simple to set up on any machine. 

It isn't hard to do if you cut corners on the FOV like you stated. If you can narrow the overall amount of pixels and supersample them in a narrower space the performance shouldn't be nearly as much of an issue. You're completely right at the full FOV though, I don't think I could supersample, especially with msaa without narrowing it. However clarity is a much better suiter than FOV being that the distortion on the far edges renders them pretty useless anyway, and I haven't noticed that much if at all in viewable real-estate. 

The way I look at it, you gain performance from getting rid of blurry edges to supersample what you will actually viewing.. and with that lowered amount of pixels rendered, supersampling it becomes much less taxing = because of the math.. 

As I said, about Openxr. DCS uses Openvr so that is the API that is called from DCS. To get the Oculus to use it's native openxr api, you must call for it though steamVR(opencomposite).. When you check the API layer in Openxr tools, you can see it links the Oculus Openxr layer too it. It's apparently the only way to call it until Vulkan is implemented. Then it will be called directly from the application itself. 

Edited by HoBGoBLiNzx3

4 minutes ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

It isn't hard to do if you cut corners on the FOV like you stated. If you can narrow the overall amount of pixels and supersample them in a narrower space the performance shouldn't be nearly as much of an issue. You're completely right at the full FOV though, I don't think I could supersample, especially with msaa without narrowing it. However clarity is a much better suiter than FOV being that the distortion on the far edges renders them pretty useless anyway, and I haven't noticed that much if at all in viewable real-estate. 

The way I look at it, you gain performance from getting rid of blurry edges to supersample what you will actually viewing.. and with that lowered amount of pixels rendered, supersampling it becomes much less taxing = because of the math.. 

As I said, about Openxr. DCS uses Openvr so that is the API that is called from DCS. To get the Oculus to use it's native openxr api, you must call for it though steamVR(opencomposite).. When you check the API layer in Openxr tools, you can see it links the Oculus Openxr layer too it. It's apparently the only way to call it until Vulkan is implemented. Then it will be called directly from the application itself. 

Maybe. I run FOV at 0.9 but it isn't great to start with I've tried lower and it's really, really small. But each to thier own. Yes I suppose that will allow you run high res and cut them off at the sides.

Still unsure why you would go modding DSC to run a headset it supports anyway (or using steamvr?) Always runs great for me as it is. Even on older hardware it was one of the benefits.

21 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Maybe. I run FOV at 0.9 but it isn't great to start with I've tried lower and it's really, really small. But each to thier own. Yes I suppose that will allow you run high res and cut them off at the sides.

Still unsure why you would go modding DSC to run a headset it supports anyway (or using steamvr?) Always runs great for me as it is. Even on older hardware it was one of the benefits.

I might be able to get rid of opencomposite in general now because openxr toolkit works directly with oculus. Prior to it's release you couldn't use any of the openxr tools because they were only available through openxr tools and it would only work on windows headsets like the reverb g2. Seeing as I can't get the toolkit to load anyway, I might just delete it anyway and run it natively. To be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure how all the API's work within DCS as it's not supported by the application. I kind of just followed all the guides for it.