Quest 2 DCS VR

Viciam1

52 minutes ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

I might be able to get rid of opencomposite in general now because openxr toolkit works directly with oculus. Prior to it's release you couldn't use any of the openxr tools because they were only available through openxr tools and it would only work on windows headsets like the reverb g2. Seeing as I can't get the toolkit to load anyway, I might just delete it anyway and run it natively. To be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure how all the API's work within DCS as it's not supported by the application. I kind of just followed all the guides for it. 

Well I've been running oculus since the rift s days. Not an oculus fan really but they just been the best for me (personal preference) advice would be ditch all VR management mods. Just use the main applications and the debug tool. 

13 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Well I've been running oculus since the rift s days. Not an oculus fan really but they just been the best for me (personal preference) advice would be ditch all VR management mods. Just use the main applications and the debug tool. 

I have before, I like having at least OTT because it saves my link/asw/gpu scaling settings. That and I can set windows to run ultimate performance mode. Debug tools really need at least some options to save profiles.

9 hours ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

I have before, I like having at least OTT because it saves my link/asw/gpu scaling settings. That and I can set windows to run ultimate performance mode. Debug tools really need at least some options to save profiles.

I only change FOV these days. Everything else is at default so I don't mind. 

8 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

I only change FOV these days. Everything else is at default so I don't mind. 

If it's broke don't fix it I guess haha.

I've noticed massive performance drops with ASW and GPU scaling.

DCS's VR section even brings this up as a caution. but I'd be willing to bet if you kept a constant high bit rate (dynamic does some funky stuff to make it energy efficient, turned off GPU scaling so you're not changing resolutions to keep frames, kept ASW to produce the maximum amount of frames so it doesn't throttle you down and start producing frames) You'd see a big jump in performance.  a matching encode rate to pixel density (I think the default is actually set way to high for avg cards, OTT addresses this). Can all be done in OculusDebug

You're espentially opening the valve to your hose with no restrictions or special features that mess with DCS because it's not an officially supported VR game quite yet. 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/VR/

As I said though, if it's working smoothly and looks good. No need to mess around with it but I find that with updates, things generally keep getting better, and using those features seems to give you pretty big amounts of tailored performance. ASW can feel weird at higher paced games with ghosting and jumping resolutions/ reprojections always being a bigger problem than framerate. 

Edited by HoBGoBLiNzx3

48 minutes ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

If it's broke don't fix it I guess haha.

I've noticed massive performance drops with ASW and GPU scaling.

DCS's VR section even brings this up as a caution. but I'd be willing to bet if you kept a constant high bit rate (dynamic does some funky stuff to make it energy efficient, turned off GPU scaling so you're not changing resolutions to keep frames, kept ASW to produce the maximum amount of frames so it doesn't throttle you down and start producing frames) You'd see a big jump in performance.  a matching encode rate to pixel density (I think the default is actually set way to high for avg cards, OTT addresses this). Can all be done in OculusDebug

You're espentially opening the valve to your hose with no restrictions or special features that mess with DCS because it's not an officially supported VR game quite yet. 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/VR/

As I said though, if it's working smoothly and looks good. No need to mess around with it but I find that with updates, things generally keep getting better, and using those features seems to give you pretty big amounts of tailored performance. ASW can feel weird at higher paced games with ghosting and jumping resolutions/ reprojections always being a bigger problem than framerate. 

Hmm, I used to switch off GPU scaling but I really couldn't tell any difference so decided that it probably wasn't scaling all that much if at all.

I also used to change bitrate and encode width, then I read that oculus sets encode width automatically off bitrate so I left this at default. Again no perceivable change in any direction. The bitrate definitely used need setting manually setting but I also read that 500 was a bit over the top, I set at 300 - no change and now again at default, no change. I have occasionally re-tested these but I really don't ever see any differences.

I also used to lock ASW at half (40 for me) as It does go to 80 at altitude and the switching was jarring, again they seem to fix this and I just can't tell for the most part. What do you mean when you say kept ASW? Lock it to half only or allow it to auto on/off. I know where the distortions are its not something I find a problem in DCS, just one of those things. Unlike the civilian sim which I think ASW is horrible in, but that's a separate story.

I didn't realise ED had updated their guidance but its kind of minimal. 

I should also add that I always run on the cable, keeps the battery topped up. Airlink appears to be indentical performance but I actually don't have that much DCS hours using it. It is great for shooting  zombies though!

• 1 month later...

I just got an oculus quest 2 and I can't even get it to work with DCS, standalone or steam version. I'm not very techy. Seen YouTube videos talking about open XR and it's beyond me.

Does anyone have a step by step guide to setting the quest 2 up for standalone DCS 2.7. War thunder works fine on Steam VR so I know it's not a link issue.

14 minutes ago, Notcher said:

Does anyone have a step by step guide to setting the quest 2 up for standalone DCS 2.7.

1. In DCS go to VR settings and make sure "enable" is checked, then exit DCS.

2. Plug Quest 2 to your PC via link cable and run Oculus app on your desktop.

3. Put on headset and turn it on.

4. Use hand controller to navigate to settings-->Quest Link (the details here get a little fuzzy because Oculus keeps changing things--as of now a small window pops up and you have to click "launch")

5. After Quest Link boots up (you will be in a matrix-style gray room), use the controller to click on "desktop" icon on the right side of the floating toolbar. You should now see your desktop on a virtual curved screen.

6. Use your mouse to launch DCS

3 hours ago, Nealius said:

1. In DCS go to VR settings and make sure "enable" is checked, then exit DCS.

2. Plug Quest 2 to your PC via link cable and run Oculus app on your desktop.

3. Put on headset and turn it on.

4. Use hand controller to navigate to settings-->Quest Link (the details here get a little fuzzy because Oculus keeps changing things--as of now a small window pops up and you have to click "launch")

5. After Quest Link boots up (you will be in a matrix-style gray room), use the controller to click on "desktop" icon on the right side of the floating toolbar. You should now see your desktop on a virtual curved screen.

6. Use your mouse to launch DCS

My suggestion is to launch DCS from PC and not from within Quest2.

So after the very detailed steps provided by Nealius you can also just launch DCS from PC (after step 4)

Note: The key steps in the process above are 1 and 4 to make sure you have VR through Link

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

10 minutes ago, diamond26 said:

My suggestion is to launch DCS from PC and not from within Quest2.

My steps are launching DCS from the PC, while viewing through the headset so you can see where your mouse is. If you launch DCS from PC without the headset on and without already being inside Quest Link, DCS will try to launch SteamVR and say "headset not found." (I do not have DCS on Steam, I have Steam for other games).

You could skip manually starting Oculus client and going into the virtual desktop, but you still must be inside Quest Link. Seeing the desktop through your headset is easier as without selecting desktop, you are having to pull the headset off to see your physical monitor to launch DCS.

Edited by Nealius

6 minutes ago, Nealius said:

My steps are launching DCS from the PC. If you launch DCS from PC without the headset on and without already being inside Quest Link, DCS will try to launch SteamVR and say "headset not found." (I do not have DCS on Steam, I have Steam for other games).

You could skip manually starting Oculus client and going into the virtual desktop, but you still must be inside Quest Link. Seeing the desktop through your headset is easier as without selecting desktop, you are having to pull the headset off to see your physical monitor to launch DCS.

I agree, but your step 5 reads like you are launching DCS from within Quest. 

The reason I suggested to not use Quest desktop option to launch, was because there were issues in the past. Haven't used it for ages so I don't know if now it works flawlessly 

Edited by diamond26

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

• 1 month later...

For me the best way is to start pc, start oculus, connect oculus and pc via link, start DCS from the program sugestions that show up in Oculus.

Three things that made DCS playable with vr for me was to turn down texture to medium, no preload radius(100) and 1 in pixel density. 

No oot, no debug and no shaders and <profanity>.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Laptop Alienware m17x

Intel Core 2 extreme CPU Q3000 @2.53GHz 2.53 GHz

8 GB RAM

2 x NVIDIA 280M

TM HOTAS COUGAR,

24'' Samsung screen,

TIR5

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2021 at 6:16 PM, scampaboy said:

Hi 

I just got a Quest 2 

I’ve got a 3060, 64gb ram i59600k @ 5.0.

I’m just getting my head round the settings I’ve got a baseline but I suffer very badly from shimmer. 

Im already using 2x MSAA and that’s my limit. Is there any setting in OTT or the Quest software (I’ve got that slider to the right and it’s on 72) that can reduce shimmer. In cockpit I have great gauges and visuals, it’s outside I have trouble. Everything outside a  20 m radius shimmers. 
I would like to sacrifice some cockpit clarity and have more terrain clarity is it possible to do? 

Try x16 in options and try too use openxr  tool kit . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 3 weeks later...