Runway Attack Aircraft bug out without dropping weapons

Group "Runway attack" is 2 F/A-18s with a task at wp1 to attack the runway at Koubleti. Instead of doing this, one aircraft flies towards the runway at the wrong hedding, before breaking off to circle away, often ignoring all other waypoints and returning directly to base. The second aircraft runs in looking good then does the same right at the point where I would expect it to start dropping bombs. I have tried changing waypoints to re-align their approach including moving waypoint 1 closer to or further from the target runway, but have not been able to have them execute an attack successfully. Waypoint actions have RoE to Only designated; Restrict Jettison On; Reaction to Threat No Reaction; Restrict Air-to-Air On.

Groups Bone1 and Bone 2 are each 2 B-1s, with runway attack missions for other airbases. They simply overfly their targets without dropping any bombs and carry on along their waypoints, returning to base with a full weapons load.

The mission file is attached, as is a track where both of these issues are seen. (nb, in this track the second runway attack hornet crashes into the sea while lining up for attack: is this a separate bug which I should raise a separate bug report for?)

If you need anything else, please get in touch.

Thanks

FA-18c Airfield strike Defended.miz

runway-attack-bug.trk

Here you go! I think their "Bombing runway" advanced action was way too far from their waypoint. When you want an AI to properly execute an advanced action, you need to put its waypoint close to it.

I had to remove the Sukhumi SA-6 site during testing. You need to put it back in.

Try to remove the "Invisible" state I gave to the Bones and see if it still works.

Tell me how it goes.

FA-18c Airfield strike Defended_fix_Flappie.miz

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

The issue with the B1s seems to be solved now thank you, I've tested 3 times and on 2 occasions both dropped their bombs and one one occasion 1 missed went around and dropped his bombs on the second go, so happy there thank you :)

But I'm still having the same issues I originally described with the hornets: one lines up wrong (same angle every time) then bugs out to RTB, the other lines up correctly then bugs out to RTB at the last moment. If you're not getting this bug, could it be an issue with my version maybe? I'm on 2.5.6.55960

We share the same version of DCS.

I'm having a hard time explaining why the "Runway attack" group screws its mission. However, I've retrieved the mission which got them working and I've fixed the Bones. Please have a look. You'll need to move the Hornet groups since they are way too close to their objective.

FA-18c Airfield strike Defended_fix_Flappie2.miz

The mission file as you sent it works perfectly; however as soon as I move the planes back, without changing anything else, they start to exhibit the bugged behaviour again (although the lead plane now appraoches to the left of the runway rather than the right before pulling away). I thought that this might have been because, when they started further awayt, they were arriving just as the second group of migs were taking off, but I tried removing the second group and it didn't help. Very strange indeed!

The mission file as you sent it works perfectly; however as soon as I move the planes back, without changing anything else, they start to exhibit the bugged behaviour again (although the lead plane now appraoches to the left of the runway rather than the right before pulling away). I thought that this might have been because, when they started further awayt, they were arriving just as the second group of migs were taking off, but I tried removing the second group and it didn't help. Very strange indeed!
Been there, done that. :P

For a moment, I also suspected ground units arond Kobuleti, and the SAM near Poti as well.

I think I've found something: the "Runway attack" group is the one flying at the lowest altitude. And they're continuously using the afterburner. I thought maybe they lack fuel when they approach the runway. I set their initial altitude to 9000 ft for the big "wet" segment. The leader successfully bombed the runway. I'm pretty sure now the wingman loses too much fuel when trying to stay close to its leader.

Try setting their speed lower, so they don't use the afterburner during the whole flight.

• Like 1

I think you might be onto something! I jumped into the cockpit and flew their route on full burner until I got to the airfield. Sure enough, 2 calls bingo fuel just as they near the target and I made it back to base with 30lbs (thirty) of fuel left - I ran out of fuel before I was able to taxi off the landing runway!

It's a shame there's no way to set infinite fuel for a unit in the mission editor, that would be really useful right now...

Back to the drawing board for me to replan this mission I think, damn you hornet and your lack of range!

I think you might have solved it, thanks so much for your help

I think you might be onto something! I jumped into the cockpit and flew their route on full burner until I got to the airfield. Sure enough, 2 calls bingo fuel just as they near the target and I made it back to base with 30lbs (thirty) of fuel left - I ran out of fuel before I was able to taxi off the landing runway!

It's a shame there's no way to set infinite fuel for a unit in the mission editor, that would be really useful right now...

Back to the drawing board for me to replan this mission I think, damn you hornet and your lack of range!

I think you might have solved it, thanks so much for your help

Schedule some tanking along the route...... :) Or increase the cruising height and reduce the speed along the route, your range will increase dramatically :)