[REPORTED]AI wingman can guide multiple laser guided weapons

bojangles_25

It seems that the AI wingman can have multiple laser guided weapons in the air at once, all heading towards different targets.

I've seen it happen with both the APKWS and the AGM-65L

"We could come back with hydraulics shot out, half the tail shot off, piece of the wing shot off, we had two engines and could come home with one... She really was a piece of machinery that you could fly into hell and back... And she was designed around that gun from day 1"

It seems that the AI wingman can have multiple laser guided weapons in the air at once, all heading towards different targets.

I've seen it happen with both the APKWS and the AGM-65L

Are they using a buddy lase for one and self lasing for the other? I have done that somewhat regularly, but not sure what mission you were doing where you witnessed the AI doing it. Example, I capture a buddy lase with my maverick - rifle. Already have my TGP on the next target I've spotted, ripple two APKS and enable my laser. 3 weapons in the air, on two different targets...

I don't fly SP with AI very often, so can't say that I've noticed AI doing it. If they are, I'd guess that would be how they are doing it.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Sorry for lack of info, I should have elaborated

Are they using a buddy lase for one and self lasing for the other?

No they aren't. I was flying the "Smerch Hunt" mission. By default the wingman is armed with 2 laser mavs and 7 APKWS rockets.

I told the wingman to "engage any targets of opportunity", and he engaged 2 separate targets at once with laser guided weapons.

This was after all targets provided by JTAC were destroyed (by me) so I'm confident that nothing was being lased by anybody else.

"We could come back with hydraulics shot out, half the tail shot off, piece of the wing shot off, we had two engines and could come home with one... She really was a piece of machinery that you could fly into hell and back... And she was designed around that gun from day 1"

I saw a video on YouTube where a user fired two APKWS rockets about five seconds apart on targets in close proximity to one another. After he destroyed the first one, he quickly slewed the laser to the second target while the second rocket was still inbound, and killed that one as well. Is that what possibly happened in your case? I don’t know if the AI is capable of doing this, or even if they’re programmed to.

That's an interesting point. However, I don't think that the AI was doing this at least with the Mavericks as they were clearly flying as if each of them was being guided individually.

I'll try to put together a mission/track that demonstrates what I believe to be wrong.

I saw a video on YouTube where a user fired two APKWS rockets about five seconds apart on targets in close proximity to one another. After he destroyed the first one, he quickly slewed the laser to the second target while the second rocket was still inbound, and killed that one as well.

This has been my attack pattern with laser rockets recently. If you time it right, and set your inbound angle so it's easy to slew to the next target, you can engage multiple targets with APKWS in the same pass. If they are soft targets like trucks, you can transition to a 3rd target with guns while the 2nd target is being lased.

I was doing a SP mission, and there was a group of trucks being protected by ZSU 23. I fired a mav from 8 miles to kill the ZSU, fired a APKWS at 5 miles, and then another at 4 miles to destroy two trucks, then had enough time to gun run 3 other trucks wile the last rocket was tracking. 6 targets on a single run is sure satisfying, with 5 trucks being destroyed within a few seconds of each other.

you can engage multiple targets with APKWS in the same pass

I can see now how this would be possible, but what you'd see is that all the airborne rockets fly towards the first target, then when that's destroyed and the TGP is slewed, they all then fly towards the second target etc, etc.

What I will try to demonstrate in a mission/track is that I believe the weapons launched by the wingman individually fly directly to their intended targets, which wouldn't be possible using only the TGP. It is probably best demonstrated with Mavericks.

In trying to replicate this I actually noticed another problem with the AI (described by wingman1.trk).

I put together a mission with myself and 1 wingman, flying towards the often used abandoned airfield at WP1. There is an artillery piece at each end of the runway. The wingman has 2*AGM-65L and the TGP. I am unarmed but have the TGP. I disarm my own laser to be absolutely certain that only the wingman could possibly be doing the designating. The wingman's 'skill' in the editor is 'Veteran'.

• wingman1.trk

In this track, I ask the wingman specifically to "engage armour at my SPI with maverick". He sets about it and engages one target at a time, breaking off after each maverick launch. However, he turns so far that the laser becomes masked, and both missiles fall short into the Black Sea.

• wingman2.trk

In this track, I ask the wingman to "engage targets of opportunity" (as in my original post). He quickly fires both Mavericks and we can see that they are both in the air and individually tracking the two targets, which would not be possible given there is only one designator illuminating the target (the wingman's TGP)

wingman1.trk

wingman2.trk

• Like 1

I'm guessing AI don't even use a laser at all. Have you been able to LSS an AI laser point?

I have not tried this. However, they might actually use the laser to some degree. As mentioned, with wingman1.trk the wingman screws up his own laser designation by masking the laser.

Without making this a long story, in testing to see if I could buddy lase a AI wingman in the F-16, I couldn't determine if the AI was lasing or just dropping. I know that someone did a similar test in the hornet using Mavs and they couldn't see their wingman's laser on the Mav's MFD page either.

www.tomhedlund.com

Modules: A-10C, A-10CII. F-16, AV8B, F-5E, F-14, F/A-18C, P-51, BF-109, F-86, FC3, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mig-15, Mig-21, YAK-52, L-39.

Maps: NTTR, PG, Normandy. Syria...

Others: Super Carrier, WWII Asset Pack

• ED Team

I have reported, they should only engage one lased target at a time, lased rockets maybe an exception as noted, I myself have been using delayed rocket shots and walking the laser to new targets.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

that is suite 10 and not what we have. This is about a single tpod lasing more than one target at the same time.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

that is suite 10 and not what we have. This is about a single tpod lasing more than one target at the same time.

thanks

I know... just an attempt to be funny :)

I9-9900K@5Ghz, 32Gb DDR4@3800Mhz, GTX 1080IT@1950Mhz, 3x500Gb SSD, HP Reverb, Samsung CF791, TM Warthog HOTAS & pedals