La-7...pls tell us that it will be for DCS!

Hunter Joker

Just so everyone knows what Hunter Joker is referring to:

https://stormbirds.blog/2020/10/23/la-7-teased-by-octopusg/

Couldn't agree more with your sentiment, a late-war Soviet prop is going to be an instant purchase for me. I really hope it's for DCS. Based on what fellow players have been saying about the I-16 and the rave reviews it got I'm not worried about the quality of the eventual module, not in the slightest.

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Exactly what we need to flesh out the WW2 planeset we already have.:doh:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

The 3D model is the quickest stage of a DCS aircraft development. The I-16 development started on 2014 or earlier, yet the finished aircraft appeared in 2019 ... so, I'm not holding my breath to see it on DCS.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Exactly what we need to flesh out the WW2 planeset we already have.:doh:

What's wrong with a wildcard entry into a list of well-established 1944 favourites? It's not like Normandy is the only WW2 map we're ever going to get. Besides, just like @Rudel_chw mentioned, this might take years to materialise. Plenty of things can change between now and then.

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

I wish we could have every map we want and every plane, I do. But if I have to choose I'm going with one complete planeset for one theater before a scattershot of the whole war.

Someone will make something random though, don't worry. We already have an I-16...:suspect:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

There is a plan for Fulga Gap map (Central Europe). Maybe It could be good idea to do WW2 version of it, which would benefit both La-7 and P-51, P-47. Spitfire etc.

I really hope that Lavochkin is going to DCS, Its wonderfull aircraft and much better oponent for Luftwaffe fighters that we have In game right now.

Lavochkin La-7 or even the La-5/La-5FN from осьминог-г?? First day buy. Heck, I'll pre-order. Want to kick start?

La-5FN was an all time favorite from a different sim. Absolute beast on the deck as long as there was no failure/poor manufacturing modeling.

Yes, I know, I buy all my mods first day, but I'd actually fly this one! Two (or three) 20mm cannon, accelerates like it has an afterburner, good visibility (in non-Soviet versions). The only one I've ever seen is a replica at the Nizhney Novgorod Kremlin museum, and it was still beautiful...

There is a plan for Fulga Gap map (Central Europe). Maybe It could be good idea to do WW2 version of it, which would benefit both La-7 and P-51, P-47. Spitfire etc.

I really hope that Lavochkin is going to DCS, Its wonderfull aircraft and much better oponent for Luftwaffe fighters that we have In game right now.

Can you give us the source for the mentioned plan of the Fulda Gap Map? :unsure:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/26/2020 at 1:41 PM, SovietAce said:

I posted about the Fulda Gap here 

I figure since the Fulda Gap was seen as a potential World War III battle field since the start of the Cold War the ideal situation for the Fulda Gap would be to have differnt versions of the map based on the mission's start date.  Since the LA-7 was retired in 1952 it would be a good one for any early cold war scenario.  I really think we need at least some Soviet World War II assets. I figure if I were to make an asset pack I would really focus on the early cold war era. Right now in  the Stalinist era  the BluFor is quite well represented thanks to the World War II asset pack, four planes (spitfire, F-51, F-47 and F-86) while the RedFor only has lend lease left overs and the MiG-15. Then when we get into the Eisenhower/ Khurshev era we have the MiG-19 and there isn't a good bluefor adversary 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

I really think we need at least some Soviet World War II assets. I figure if I were to make an asset pack I would really focus on the early cold war era. Right now in  the Stalinist era  the BluFor is quite well represented thanks to the World War II asset pack, four planes (spitfire, F-51, F-47 and F-86) while the RedFor only has lend lease left overs and the MiG-15. Then when we get into the Eisenhower/ Khurshev era we have the MiG-19 and there isn't a good bluefor adversary 

Early Cold war is very poorly represented in DCS in general. Its bit shamefull that we have MiG-15, but not its primary targets (B-29 and B-36). MiG-19 is in bit worse situation. F-100 would be ideal foe for it, so lets hope that somebody decides to make it as 3rd party module. Soviet WW2 assets would be nice, however It hard to think that somebody that would be willing to make them. 

It seems not many La7s actually participated in WW2. The ones that were issued to units were mostly unserviceable with broken engines. If you try to select the La7 in a WW2 sim you should enter the cockpit of an La5, because that’s what you’d be flying while your mechanics tried to fix your La7s engine... 

I always like to see the most widely used variants of aircraft in historical sims. In that case for 44-45 the La5 would be the most appropriate choice, as would the Yak 9. Assuming the aim is to produce historically WW2 accurate scenarios for the player.

1946-1950 Aye.

Edited by Mogster

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

It seems not many La7s actually participated in WW2.

Ehm no. There was plenty of La-7s used on Eastern front. Lots of pilots became aces while flying this aircraft. It used same engine like late La-5FN and when 7s came to service most of the problems with it were already solved. Main difference was in better aerodynamics and lighter airframe. 1946-1950 was time for further improved La-9/11.

Edited by SovietAce

3 hours ago, SovietAce said:

Ehm no. There was plenty of La-7s used on Eastern front. Lots of pilots became aces while flying this aircraft. It used same engine like late La-5FN and when 7s came to service most of the problems with it were already solved. Main difference was in better aerodynamics and lighter airframe. 1946-1950 was time for further improved La-9/11.

The engine may have been the same but the packaging can make a big difference. According to Yefim Gordon “Soviet Air Power in WW2”  There were engine troubles in the initial operational evaluation, Colonel Ye. Gorbatyuk reported that his guys liked their planes but the engines were problematic. They weren’t fixed, operational deliveries continued and in early 1945 La7 squadrons were seeing 25% or greater unserviceability and reverting to other aircraft they had on station. Things only really improved when the units moved to Manchuria late in 1945.

It’s no surprise there were aces on the type. There was always pressure within the Soviet Union for new equipment to be seen as a success. Results were important so the best pilots will have been given the new aircraft.

Edited by Mogster

7 часов назад, Mogster сказал:

The engine may have been the same but the packaging can make a big difference. According to Yefim Gordon “Soviet Air Power in WW2”  There were engine troubles in the initial operational evaluation, Colonel Ye. Gorbatyuk reported that his guys liked their planes but the engines were problematic. They weren’t fixed, operational deliveries continued and in early 1945 La7 squadrons were seeing 25% or greater unserviceability and reverting to other aircraft they had on station. Things only really improved when the units moved to Manchuria late in 1945.

Even if we count 25% of La-7s as unserviceable that'll leave about 4000 more La-7 serviceable so no, there vere thousands operational La-7s

7 часов назад, Mogster сказал:

It’s no surprise there were aces on the type. There was always pressure within the Soviet Union for new equipment to be seen as a success. Results were important so the best pilots will have been given the new aircraft.

Lol what? Nonsence. Planes were given to squadrons, not certain pilots.

• Like 1

1 час назад, Mogster сказал:

A few hundred were available, it seems most were delivered after the war, later in 1945.

1500-2000 were produced in 1944

1 час назад, Mogster сказал:

My point is that if you’re making historical WW2 scenarios with the La7 then you’re really restricted to 1945 only. 

How about 1944? Anyway, we have 109K and 190D9

la7 started rolling out to elite VVS squadrons such as 176 GIAP in Fall 1944. Kodzhedub and Orekhov started combat sorties in september. About the same time of the k4 and the dora was introduced, if i´m not mistaken...

Edited by Ravenus

It would be interesting to have a DCS La or Yak. I’m not sure a sim has really modelled all the manual systems these aircraft had. Fighting in an La with their high cockpit workload against FW and Me with their automation would be interesting.

Yefim Gordon has the combat evaluation of the La 7 in mid September 44. He says performance was disappointing so a rapid series of changes were made to the aero and engine install. More units received aircraft in November 44 but the engine problems persisted.

Again the K4 was a strange choice to represent the 109 series.

Yes for better or worse we mostly have late war super props, apart from the Spit IX which was the dominant Spitfire version 44-45 and the A8 which was early 44. Then there’s the I16 on its own of course.

12 часов назад, Mogster сказал:

It would be interesting to have a DCS La or Yak. I’m not sure a sim has really modelled all the manual systems these aircraft had. Fighting in an La with their high cockpit workload against FW and Me with their automation would be interesting.

You can check that right now as we have P-47. Unlike thunderbolt (or P-51), La-7 isn't an oversized fat cow, so you would be in somewhat more favourable position flying Lavochkin.

12 часов назад, Mogster сказал:

Yefim Gordon has the combat evaluation of the La 7 in mid September 44. He says performance was disappointing so a rapid series of changes were made to the aero and engine install. More units received aircraft in November 44 but the engine problems persisted.

Evaluations went very well, although there were some problems. That happens to any new plane and some new plane modifications

I find Yeffim to be one of those types of questionable historians writing lots of dubious claims.

Not saying to entirely discount all of his research but he can be a bit of a charlatan. Most other histories of it say the La-7 was present and in force by late, first deliveries were in I believe July of '44 so they would've been there in force by the time of the Budapest offensive.

As for the allied planes, I feel that the Engine settings could be increased, a bit

The mustang surely needs 75inches, thats what it would've been standard by the time of the Dora and Kurfurst and the Spit I forget what engine the DCS one has as I don't own it but anywhere from 18 or 25 lbs would make sense, I lean more towards 25 because Believe thats what they were using when operating in the low countries at the time, makes our 44~45 environment in DCS more fun if we can play with engine rating more like the game that wont be mentioned