The Glorious F14A

Victory205

Exactly. '70s and early '80s colorfull muscle flexing like from Vietnam are my way to go. Dull gray Tomcat loses some part of his visula sexappeal.

And '70s - '80s Tomcats were top tier birst of prey when '90 and later, without mdern NCTR IFF, Link16, AMRAAM (and proper purpose anymore) - F-14 was just a remnant of its former glory and close to retirement.

That's how Tomcats painting was changing through the years:

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-colours.htm

well said

Exactly. '70s and early '80s colorfull muscle flexing like from Vietnam are my way to go. Dull gray Tomcat loses some part of his visula sexappeal.

And '70s - '80s Tomcats were top tier birst of prey when '90 and later, without mdern NCTR IFF, Link16, AMRAAM (and proper purpose anymore) - F-14 was just a remnant of its former glory and close to retirement.

The same impression here.

• Like 1

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I heard the B has better acceleration, while the A has better top speed. Not sure how accurate this is :dunno:

Well given the fact the B tops out at M 2.15 in DCS and it's never been changed, can I expect to hit 2.34 with the A finally? The B has noticably more thrust without AB than the B, but the TF30 build up nice ram thrust with speed. I also remember seeing SFC numbers that suggested a much lower AB fuel usage than we do see in the B in DCS, so that must be attributed to the TF30s as well, so I kinda expect longer AB duration, at the expense of thrust which will be less. The B really is starving in no time, but so is the F-16 that also has the 110. And their AB FF is quite comparable in DCS.

EDIT: how does one multi-quote on this new "advanced" mobile friendly forum?

You don't since you're not even supposed to have tabs in the first place anymore. Well, I just did. Wrote the first quote post, Ctrl-A-Xed it out and pasted into N++, MiG28ed the page to even be able to select a second post for quoting, Ctrl-Ved the other back in and went on. Certainly was easier before, by just middle clicking the relevant Quote buttons while reading and then just pulling the things from the quote tabs together into one box and do the writing then. But well, they killed the middle click by making everything js. Must be like running the gauntlet for anyone who uses NoScript now...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Well given the fact the B tops out at M 2.15 in DCS and it's never been changed, can I expect to hit 2.34 with the A finally? The B has noticably more thrust without AB than the B, but the TF30 build up nice ram thrust with speed. I also remember seeing SFC numbers that suggested a much lower AB fuel usage than we do see in the B in DCS, so that must be attributed to the TF30s as well, so I kinda expect longer AB duration, at the expense of thrust which will be less. The B really is starving in no time, but so is the F-16 that also has the 110. And their AB FF is quite comparable in DCS.

You don't since you're not even supposed to have tabs in the first place anymore. Well, I just did. Wrote the first quote post, Ctrl-A-Xed it out and pasted into N++, MiG28ed the page to even be able to select a second post for quoting, Ctrl-Ved the other back in and went on. Certainly was easier before, by just middle clicking the relevant Quote buttons while reading and then just pulling the things from the quote tabs together into one box and do the writing then. But well, they killed the middle click by making everything js. Must be like running the gauntlet for anyone who uses NoScript now...

The F-14B tops out at 2.35M in DCS, not 2.15, you have to drop to 35,500 or so and be sure the jet is clean. The B does out-accelerate the A at all altitudes and airspeeds assuming the same loadouts, unless you are already going above 1.6M or so. If you have access to the 1.1s for the respective aircraft, you can see the differences. Both engines get the ram-air effect, but the F110 tapers it while the TF-30 doesn't.

Turkey_Top_Speed_Small.jpg.0c95b5176ae4c03f1a74e409a03d9dc7.jpg

Edited by Quid
Added screencap.

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

Darn...... that's pretty much what i've been doing :(

It's so clumsy and slow though. And to think some people praised the new "look". I can remember the times when progress added functionality, not took it away......or is that just the old man in me speaking?! :megalol:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I'm sure we'll get a good mix of liveries. While the '70s liveries are certainly prettier, keep in mind - by the early '80s, they'd gone out of style.

For me, the dull gray has its appeal simply because that's how the Tomcat spent much of its career. Also, the dull gray is how the Tomcat was dressed up during my lifetime, so there's that personal aspect to it.

Re Hi Viz, its worth remembering that the CAG birds were usually brightly painted well into the 1990's. There is a very good book on the F14 you can find on kindle (great help building the Tamiya 1 32 scale one) and it shows for example, VF84, with almost exactly the same livery on the CAG bird towards the end of the 1980's. WIth smaller US insignia, and the white underside gone, but it was otherwise the same. OTOH, you cant make a realistic excuse for a group wearing it.

The F-14B tops out at 2.35M in DCS, not 2.15, you have to drop to 35,500 or so and be sure the jet is clean.

I've never seen more than 2.15 on the gauge in the cockpit (neither on my rig nor in footage on the Tube), unless in a dive and that was just by a very small margin. But as you posted a TacView image, I never checked that TBH, but I've also heard you shouldn't take the perf data from TV too seriously more than just once. Either way, I guess I should see if it's just a speed gauge thing. Always tried on a clean airframe (tunnel racks removed) from a shallow <5° descent beginning at high speed reached on 42kish, checking especially around 35-38k.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Also it is worth noting that whille most squadrons adopted TPS in the 80s, some kept going in hi-viz beyond CAG birds. For example VF-21 were it their glorious hi-viz livery into the 90s.

fe31d935440b3403c7dbb7f6cf5d1c7c.jpg

Based on carrier and CVW titles, this photo was taken no later than 1989. The post ODS period for Navy jets was actually a pretty dreary period with regulations allowing I think a maximum of two aircraft in full color, which was reduced to just one for a short few years later on. Several squadrons trying to do greyed-out versions of their high-viz liveries and it didn't work most of the time. VF-21 on their very next deployment in 1990 looked more like this:

1573831768_Grumman_F-14B_Tomcat2C_USA_-_Navy_AN0712960.thumb.jpg.9d6d385427bd9bace609cd64ff326ac2.jpg

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

I just thought this was a cool shot, not necessary in 1990.

Here are a couple shots of VF-21 on USS Independence (so they must be 1990 or later, but most likely 1990):

a0ece0696808c882083c3f1c4b58a73d.jpg

161607_1.jpg

image029.jpg

0c73225d05bd2be85182a666d001c861.jpg

Note the various nose numbers.

Those are definitely circa-1990. After USS Independence returned home from Desert Shield, they began preparing to become the Seventh Fleet forward-deployed carrier out of Yokosuka. At the time, VF-21 (along with sister squadron VF-154) belonged to CVW-14, but they essentially became CVW-5, the forward-deployed air wing out of NAF Atsugi.

When they became CVW-5, their tailcodes changed to "NF."

In fact, the VF-21 and VF-154 liveries during their time in CVW-5 are among the most memorable, yet underrated liveries.

Hope I’ll be an A driver by tomorrow!

They said the 18th on Facebook.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Not in the OB-Update changelog for today......

Getting frustrating. My bet is, that the Forrestal isnt included eiter...

Need to do another search for the HB-statement that F-14A and Forrestal will come beginning of October. I know, its somewhere, but finding it wont help I guess....