Virpil Throttle Buttons Disconnect From Simulator

Bingo41

When running either P3D V5 or FS2020, after an indeterminant period of time, my Virpil MONGOOST-50 buttons disconnect.

What happens, is all the buttons no longer function, however, my analog controls, such as twin throttles, and other axis features, continue to work.

Below is the device ID, software, and firmware versions:

Device ID -- VPC-JOY-190411

Software version -- 20190411

Firmware version -- Firmware_vpc_[CNT-ATMEGA32U4].hexc

My hardware and software:

Win10, V-2004//I5-8600K 5.2GHz//Nvidia GTX 1080Ti//VRAM 11GB

RAM 32GB//2TB M2.NVMe//Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7//Corsair H115i

I am usually reluctant to update firmware or software if everything is running OK, however in my case, it is not.

This disconnect issue started about a month ago.

I am wondering with frequent updates to Win10, the firmware in no longer compatible with Win 10, which is currently at version 2004?

Any ideas on how t fix this?

Bill Clark

Bill Clark

There is a strange behavior with the Map window.

If you open the VFR Map window and click in the Map or switch GPS track etc. it catches the focus and you need to move the mouse cursor back to the Cockpit/External window and click in it once.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Thanks Shagrat,

Not sure I understand your suggestion, are you referencing FS2020?

I don't think I have ever used the VFR window.

Bill Clark

Bill Clark

Yep, FS2020. It is the "Moving Map" similar to the Garmin G1000, that can be called from the menu.

May be other pop out Windows (ATC Radio Comms) have similar issues, when you click into them?

For me the focus gets back to the main screen as soon as I click once into the cockpit and I can use buttons again for zoom, switching seats etc.

If I drag the map or switch back to GPS track and forget to click into the main screen again, the buttons don't work, only analog axis inputs.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Shagrat,

My problem is unrelated to the one you have described. I also experienced it in P3D and DCS as well.

Thanks for jumping in to help.

Bill Clark

Bill Clark

Shagrat,

My problem is unrelated to the one you have described. I also experienced it in P3D and DCS as well.

Thanks for jumping in to help.

Bill Clark

Ok. That's not what I had in mind. Strange indeed. Do you use an external USB-hub? If yes, is it powered or only over the PC connection?

I've heard of issues with the USB bus, either not having enough power or skipping devices if too many controllers are attached. Though usually they should stop working completely, not just the buttons. Anyway, checking the hub, reduce the devices while playing is worth a try.

Only other thing I can think of, is a faulty soldering on a circuit on the Sticks board. Warming up over time, expanding and losing touch with a circuit. This one is difficult to check... Maybe with only stick and the windows Game controller dialog open check if button presses are still responding. If it is hardware/soldering related it should happen independent from any sim or game running. ????

Ah, ...and check the USB energy saving options. Should not effect devices in use, but they are known to be a source for strange issues with usb devices not waking up again or similar. As for saving energy, that's what the power button is for in my humbled opinion.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Shagrat,

Yesterday, I tried a USB HUB, unfortunately, it did not cure my problem.

As normal practice, especially after a Win 10 update, I check all my USB items in Device Manager, to make sure that none are in "power saving mode." Like you, I run my PC full power as it is fully dedicated to flight simulation

My next step, is to take the plate off the bottom of the unit to perform an inspection later today, check soldering, or anything else that grabs my attention.

Your suggestions are very helpful, I will let you know what I find, if anything. The next step may be to write a ticket on the Virpil website.

Bill Clark

1242211410_ImageVirpilMT-50.thumb.jpg.491d05ede47dabbc03e7beb6453fd15f.jpg

Bill Clark

I have the same throttle and have seen similar behaviour:

-After PC boot sometimes the buttons won't work, but the axis will. You can quickly check this (in my case) by turning the selector knob: If the LEDs don't turn on/change color then I know this is happening.

-In Elite Dangerous after I start I sometimes have the same: Axis work, but buttons don't. however, this is an issues in the game: When I go into controls settings and hit 'apply', everything works again.

To solve the problem after boot I have set the USB boot delay to the max setting of 8 sec. It's somewhere in the Profile section. This seems to have solved my problem.

I do not have problems during game play in DCS or BOS.

But something definitely changed the last couple of months? Must be Windows related.

Vander,

Since I don't have Elite Dangerous the first solution is N/A.

I looked at my Virpil profile and I only have 4 sec's max delay.

I am using the Virpil software & firmware that came with the unit, I never updated. Do you ever update, and what is your current version?

Below is the device ID, software, and firmware versions of my setup:

I am usually reluctant to update firmware or software if everything is running OK, however in my case, it is not.

I agree with you, it could be due to a Win 10 update.

Thanks for your suggestion,

Bill Clark

Bill Clark

I just had this exact same issue on a new 50CM2.

The 2 throttle levers and the flaps lever were still working, none of the other buttons were.

Check if there are any SPI errors in the config tool. (Button page)

The cause of my problem ended up being a connector having pulled free inside 1 of the levers.

If you turn on the debug mode and uncheck 'check for spi errors' some buttons should start functioning again if this is the issue.

Vander,

Since I don't have Elite Dangerous the first solution is N/A.

I looked at my Virpil profile and I only have 4 sec's max delay.

I am using the Virpil software & firmware that came with the unit, I never updated. Do you ever update, and what is your current version?

Below is the device ID, software, and firmware versions of my setup:

I agree with you, it could be due to a Win 10 update.

Thanks for your suggestion,

Bill Clark

Strange, I can't see firmware version in the tool. But yes, I did update a couple of times. The latest firmware I have is from feb 2020 I think.

To get the firmware version, click on FIRMWARE button on Virpil Controls S/W, and you will see the Controller firmware file path.

The firmware version is listed there.

Bill Clark

Bill Clark

To get the firmware version, click on FIRMWARE button on Virpil Controls S/W, and you will see the Controller firmware file path.

The firmware version is listed there.

Bill Clark

Thanks. Then it's Firmware_vpc_200204_[CNT-ATMEGA32U4].hexc

Vander, it appears your firmware may be newer than mine.

I have been flying a lot the last three days with no issue of buttons not working. What I might be able to attribute it to, is when I took off the back plate to inspect the wiring, I may have inadvertently fixed the issue while moving wires around a bit when I pressed down on the connectors. It may have been a stroke of luck, I just don't know.

I won't declare my problem completely fixed, I will see what happens as time progresses!!!

Bill Clark

Bill Clark