Development update on DCS In-game Comms?

Lurker

Any news on this feature? Is it still being worked on? Seems like it's been ages since it was introduced and no real work on it has progressed. Thank you.

• Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Honestly, I think that with SRS the need for in game comms would be a "nice to have" rather than a needed feature... Sure it would make the whole comms process easier but not having it is not as game breaking as some other issues.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Honestly, I think that with SRS the need for in game comms would be a "nice to have" rather than a needed feature... Sure it would make the whole comms process easier but not having it is not as game breaking as some other issues.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Im sorry but I don't agree. I would really like to know whether they are working on it or whether it's not being worked on at the moment. It might be a "nice to have" feature, but it is one that Eagle Dynamics has decided to implement so that SRS would no longer be required. I think that we should have some info on what state it is in, whether it has been put on the back-burner, or if it's simply "abandonware" at this point.

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Same here... I love the idea of SRS but it's not always just plug and play. Also it doesn't ship with the game, so people have to go find it. It's much more likely they will find a server well before they find and install SRS. I get that SRS is relatively easy, but in game solutions would be better by default.

So yeah... Hat in the ring :)... Any update?

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• ED Team

Work is ongoing for voice chat, we should see news soon.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

thanks

Good to hear thanks! I don't use the voice chat at all so far, because it will only become interesting to me, once radio functionality gets implemented.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I prefer the in-game (in-house) implementation over any third-party versions when it comes to more complex stuff.

The radios are such already, where it should be tied with the weather system as well so you get affected by bad weather such a way that you do not receive clear/strong signal. That means your navigation becomes challenging as your radio navigation systems starts having small inaccuracies or even severe ones.

The radios to communicate with others can be LOS only so you can't have one to fly behind mountains while you are talking to them, or in severe weather conditions your voice quality / range suffers greatly.

https://www.barrettcommunications.com.au/news/does-weather-affect-hf-radio-signals/

Now think about upcoming new weather engine, where one flies to thunderstorm, where radars, radios etc starts to have challenges.

main-qimg-403ae875e936f1916cc12fc5e4a9013a.png.c034ca0f31f02f36009625ee32fce608.png

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Well until DCS Voice is as complete as SRS, there is simply no benefit of running DCS Voice...

And I hope they add functionality so human GCI/ATC users can still employ their LoTAtc licence and help other pilots...

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Good to hear thanks! I don't use the voice chat at all so far, because it will only become interesting to me, once radio functionality gets implemented.

Exactly! It's rarely used on MP atm.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Okay, I'll bite. What is SRS?

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Just checking, are you serious? :music_whistling:

If yes... Basicly a VOIP Tool like Teamspeak/Discord/Mumble just with focus on DCS. Uses the ingame radio frequencies to set up channels, using encryption to divide bluefor/redfor, can be used Out-of-the-game to assist with other ATC/GCI Tools.

Some DCS Servers even started replacing ingame GCI, ATIS and ATC comms with SRS powered services.

Very powerfull and pretty much feature complete.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

This is why we need in-game comms. SRS is not by any means simple or intuitive to setup, I've had a horrible time getting it to work which has simply lead me to abandon the servers that use it.

• Like 2

Just checking, are you serious? :music_whistling:

If yes... Basicly a VOIP Tool like Teamspeak/Discord/Mumble just with focus on DCS. Uses the ingame radio frequencies to set up channels, using encryption to divide bluefor/redfor, can be used Out-of-the-game to assist with

Some DCS Servers even started replacing ingame GCI, ATIS and ATC comms with SRS powered services.

Very powerful and pretty much feature complete.

Yes I'm serious. Not all of us are intuitive or even psychic enough to decipher every acronym or initialism that we come across. Words matter.

Thank you for somewhat explaining although you used even more acronyms that you assume everybody knows. BTW, in game is two words, or hyphenated.

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

...although you used even more acronyms that you assume everybody knows. BTW...

...and you just did the same. It's aviation forum so it's easy to assume people know a bit. If you don't - just ask.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Well, on the other sim forum, I once managed to make a post in which almost every meaningful word was an acronym. :) The system under discussion was the F-16's radar and its modes of operation, which is a particularly TLA-heavy field, but it's hardly the only place that suffers from that. :)

Same, that's what I'm really waiting on.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Yes I'm serious. Not all of us are intuitive or even psychic enough to decipher every acronym or initialism that we come across. Words matter.

Thank you for somewhat explaining although you used even more acronyms that you assume everybody knows. BTW, in game is two words, or hyphenated.

Perfectly fine. Were just checking if this was irony. Simple Radio Standalone (SRS) has been arround since years and is used on many of the bigger MP Servers (Blueflag, Georgia at War, Persion Gulf at War etc.).

SRS simply provides all the features (and more) DCS Voice plans to deliver when it's feature complete... So basicly reinventing the wheel.

Definitly worth to try it out. Its free (Server / User), still updated almost monthly and open source and has plenty of use with many servers.

ATC - Air Traffic Controller

GCI - Ground Control Intercept

ATIS - Automatic Terminal Information Service

Not sure the written out names will help you a lot, but hey, there you go. :smartass: Simply ask or aks your prefered search engine.

And thanks. I will try to use the correct wording for in-game / in game in the future (both are apparently perfectly fine). ;)

• Like 1

Perfectly fine. Were just checking if this was irony. Simple Radio Standalone (SRS) has been arround since years and is used on many of the bigger MP Servers (Blueflag, Georgia at War, Persion Gulf at War etc.).

SRS simply provides all the features (and more) DCS Voice plans to deliver when it's feature complete... So basicly reinventing the wheel.

Definitly worth to try it out. Its free (Server / User), still updated almost monthly and open source and has plenty of use with many servers.

ATC - Air Traffic Controller

GCI - Ground Control Intercept

ATIS - Automatic Terminal Information Service

Not sure the written out names will help you a lot, but hey, there you go. :smartass: Simply ask or aks your prefered search engine.

And thanks. I will try to use the correct wording for in-game / in game in the future (both are apparently perfectly fine). ;)

I guess the point I was trying to make was this: I am still a newbie. I have only been simming for less than 2 years coming over from

that other more arcade combat game after almost five years. I go to the forum to learn. Everything I have learned is from the forum or YouTube.

If I went to the FA-18 section, I would expect to be drowned in an alphabet soup of acronyms. This section is about a much simpler topic, comms.

I apologize for my ignorance, surely there was a time in your life that you didn't know something. Sometimes I find myself spending more time on Google

researching these acronyms and initialisms than I do actually reading the forum. It's not your fault, it's mine. I am still a student and you guys are way ahead of me.

I did Google (Bing) SRS and this is what I got. https://www.bing.com/search?q=srs&cvid=8d7ef3d4288044cbb46d0cfa5f4ef429&pglt=43&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=U531

An acronym is an abbreviation that is pronounceable as a word, APP, RADAR, ZIP, NASA, SNAFU etc.

SRS is hardly pronounceable it is an initialism, not an acronym nor is it intuitive enough to figure out nor is it easily searchable on the internet. (See above link.)

@Draconis: Thank you, I did ask. BTW is not an acronym either. It is common texting shorthand such as: IRL, IIRC, IMHO, LMFAO, LOL, FWIW, etc.

@Jonnie2Bad: Thank you for a clear and concise answer.

@Lurker: Thank you for giving me an advance warning. :D

@Gruman: Is your spellchecker turned on?

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

Well it seems that the topic has been moved by a moderator. That's fine I guess as long as we can get some news regarding this. (Or even better a response by a developer)

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They promise too much. They should promise a few things and then go through with them. Showing how amazing SRS and other third party tools like Overlord Bot or SRS ATIS are only shows how lacking ED's implementation of the relevant system is. They promise comms and give us a subpar system after 10 years, they promise ATC and give us nothing for 10 years, they promise DTC and give us nothing for 10 years. And when we ask for it it's always "We're working on it, it's complicated." or "We're working on it, you'll get news soon." where "soon" is apparently effectively the same as "never".

On 10/29/2020 at 2:35 PM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

It's been a year. Where is the news?

They included voice comms but couldn't be bothered to have different channels for different frequencies, or implement it properly in the game? Even Arma manages to do that with the teamspeak SDK, as does the other sim's built in solution (also using teamspeak sdk as far as I know). Not having filters or atmospheric/range effects is fine, as long as it gets fixed eventually.

None of this is rocket science or classified. It has been done by amateurs multiple times in an adequate manner.

I have VoIP turned on, yet I have yet to hear a single thing from anyone on any server, nor have I found a key binding for PTT in the controls options. From what I hear you need extra setup to make it work and it's complicated and non intuitive. Not what I'd call an "integrated solution".

So long as fans can do a better job programming than ED, SRS will remain the go to tool, even if it requires a bit of setup.

I'm a bit baffled how they manage to make such a beautiful looking game with such great attention to detail and simulate highly complex systems and then fail at this basic stuff that's in every other game/sim.

Edited by FalcoGer
  • Like 3

Ah, the armchair project manager strikes again.

It's one thing to make standalone app to do one single thing. It's completely another thing to create a new architecture that will encompass all modules that are currently in-game and those that will be added in a future, integrating that into a who-knows-how-old codebase with features that could be more advanced than what SRS is currently doing.

SRS is an awesome thing, but it's nowhere near as complex as how integrated VoIP solution would be. Also, calling people like that amateurs is condescending at best. Just because they aren't working for ED doesn't mean they are amateurs. They could be (most likely are) already experienced devs who thought to do a little side project to help the community.

Making a mod is and always will be "simpler" thing as most often than not you can use some other technology which could be more advanced to create stuff and then integrate it into whatever you are making a mod for.

As for EDs VoIP solution, give them time. You already have great replacement which isn't that hard to setup, but also is not as easy as working radio ingame which you control just by tuning the radio.

Edited by Vakarian