Development update on DCS In-game Comms?

Lurker

I'm a full time dev. If I work on something not work related I'd say that's amateur work, even though I'm a decent programmer. I don't mean to be condescending to those amazing people doing open source work. Amateurs need not be bad at what they do and I certainly didn't say that.

I don't see how this could be complex. You already know the radio frequencies. All you need to do is read them from the module. Anything else is fluff that can be added later They could literally just do the same thing as SRS. And again, what would be more advanced than what SRS is doing? Doing one app that does one thing is the same thing as writing one library for dcs that does one thing. In fact it's easier BECAUSE it is integrated and they have access to all the data instead of having to sift it through a lua export layer.

I am saying "make something, then improve on it later.", not "make the best thing possible right now and take 20 years to develop it." and 80% solution like SRS is enough for now.

As for giving them time... Don't you think 10 years is enough time already? We're not talking about developing something ridiculously complex here. It can become very complex depending on how much you want to simulate it, but then again an 80% solution that takes 3 months is still better than the 95% solution that takes 20 years.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 1:59 PM, FalcoGer said:

I'm a full time dev.

I don't see how this could be complex. You already know the radio frequencies. All you need to do is read them from the module. Anything else is fluff that can be added later

As for giving them time... Don't you think 10 years is enough time already? 

WUT?

Holy Cow dude. Are you sure you're a "dev"???

It doesn't sound like you have any idea what you're talking about.  Maybe you do on the programming side, but...  "All you need to do is read them from the module"???  What does that have to do with anything?  They have different encryption types, strength, freq ranges, are affected by weather differently etc...  WTF dude...  You also need to integrate it with the terrain system for LOS effects...  Yeah sure...  Simple.  LOL.  A clean replication of SRS is "easier" than what they've said they're working on...  But...  That's not what they're working on.  If you want a simple radio...  maybe...  use a "simple radio" for now.  I do...  And it's simple.  It's great...  Works fine and makes me sound cool...  BUT...  If ED want to have full on adoption of their in-game VComs they have a "simple" solution to beat but it's also a VERY clean and useful solution.  It actually sets the bar pretty high IMO.  ED can't just replicate SRS.  That would be WORSE than what we have right now when looked at holistically...  It would directly split the community.  A solution that has all the features they've indicated however...  Would likely unify the community.  All except the comp teams of course...  But if I were on a comp team I wouldn't use the "realistic" solution either.

As a "full time dev" you should understand that an integrated solution will always be more complex than a standalone solution.  SRS isn't connected to anything but API output.  An integrated comms solution, when taking into consideration that they've not said it would be "simple"...  is just not simple.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• ED Team

We will be sharing news soon about voice in DCS 

stay tuned

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2