What is a good usecase for hooking?

uri

Very new to the A10c II and wasn't able to find an existing topic about this so apologies if this has been asked before.

So what is the purpose of hooking via the TAD or HMCS? What are some examples of using it, what situations are best suited for it, what "workflows" does it support best?

My most frequent use case is hooking a flight member (most valuable as -2 hooking -1), so the hook info provided can assist in formation station keeping.

Hooking enables display of hooked ship ground speed, which can also contribute to the picture and ensure safe rejoin speed before visual picture is established.

• Like 1

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

With the new HMCS in particular, you get a line (a yellow one, I believe) to the hooked object, which makes it really easy to find that thing.

This comes in addition to a green line to your SPI.

Hooking simply enhances your Situational Awareness in regards to the hooked object.

Worth noting is that, as far as I know, TAD hook and HMCS hook are entirely separate, so if you hook an object in the TAD, that can be different from an object hooked in the HMCS.

^^ this is spot on ^^ and the method I use all the time. It's good advice.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Hooking is also very usefull to get a bullseye position of something. Remember, that you can change the hooking mode on the TAD, so if you select a bullseye hooking mode you can get bullseye positions.

Unfortunately bullseye isn't getting used very much in DCS, unlike in real life or in Falcon.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hooking is also very usefull to get a bullseye position of something. Remember, that you can change the hooking mode on the TAD, so if you select a bullseye hooking mode you can get bullseye positions.

Unfortunately bullseye isn't getting used very much in DCS, unlike in real life or in Falcon.

Depends on where and with whom you fly...

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

We always use a bullseye in our server, crazy to think that some don't do this - and I agree that having the TAD set to hook from bullseye can be a very useful tool.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Of course you could always just put Bullseye up on the HUD and always know where you are.

Also something I do frequently. Using the TAD with hook from bulls is nice for giving a bearing and range to other aircraft quickly though - talking on to a target or waypoint :thumbup:

Cheers,

Ziptie

Of course you could always just put Bullseye up on the HUD and always know where you are.

Yes, but I was talking about using the BULLS HOOK function to get the bullseye position of OTHER aircraft and things, not your own ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 10/28/2020 at 12:15 PM, Foka said:

That's correct.

Correct in DCS. AFAIK its not realistic to the jet. Im pretty sure there can only be one hook in the real jet and it's shared between both systems (i.e. you hook something on the TAD your HMCS will show a yellow line to get your head pointed at it, hook it with your HMCS its also hooked on the TAD)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ASAP said:

Correct in DCS. AFAIK its not realistic to the jet. Im pretty sure there can only be one hook in the real jet and it's shared between both systems (i.e. you hook something on the TAD your HMCS will show a yellow line to get your head pointed at it, hook it with your HMCS its also hooked on the TAD)

That would certainly be nice if it did!

I usually keep it hooked onto the flight lead, and use it mostly for rejoining formation. You always get those dashed lines indicating what direction they are relative to you, and you can quickly see their altitude and speed on the TAD, as well.

Edited by SJBMX

54 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Hooking a wingman is just for multi or does it work for single player too? I should say useful and not does it work.

Hooking an AI wingman also works, yes

"We could come back with hydraulics shot out, half the tail shot off, piece of the wing shot off, we had two engines and could come home with one... She really was a piece of machinery that you could fly into hell and back... And she was designed around that gun from day 1"

Uri,

In addition to the comments above, I often hook my current SPI.  With the TAD in EXP1 mode and the SPI centered on the TAD.  I adjust the TAD range so that the plane symbol is always on screen.  The yellow dotted line of the hook always provides an easy visual reference as to which direction the SPI is compared to where I am at and which way or how much I need to turn to engage.  It helps tremendously with my SA.

Caldera

• Like 1