Anyone Help a newbie out with VR FPS issues

mdxers

I have a new Dell R11 with a I7-10700kf, 1000w watercooled, a 2070super, 1TB HDD, 32GB@3200mhz. I bought a HP Reverb pro. When playing in VR, I am unable to get above 30FPS. I have followed all the blogs suggested. Nvidia control settings, WMR for steam settings, etc. Even if i put all the DCS system and VR settings to low (which makes the game look like I am playing underwater), I still get 30FPS. I can briefly get up to 45FPS if I fly at high altitude. I downloaded the fpsvr from steam to track my FPS. Even when the game is loading my frame rate drops. The loading screen (with the F18c picture) flickers a lot until I am in game play and ready to fly. I have tried adjusting the resolution%, MSAA, PD, terrain, textures, etc. A couple things I noticed:

1) I don't see the HP Reverb as a screen in my Nvidia control panel. The only screen listed is my 4k monitor. However, Windows mixed reality, WMR for steamvr all show the reverb. Alienware Aurora R11 Performance Results - UserBenchmark.pdf

2) I ran a benchmark at the cpubenchmark site and my GPU failed. I have attached that scorecard.

Any help appreciated.

Hi, the best advice I can give you is to do a little research about optimizing your setup for DCS VR. You'll probably be surprised to hear that 30fps for VR in DCS, isn't that bad, that's for a number of reasons. One of the main reasons being DCS is not really great at handling VR, hopefully that will change in the not to distant future. With regard to hardware, you have a really nice system but a 2070 super is not going to give you the best FPS for VR in DCS it would generally be considered a little weak for the workload. I'm not trying to burst your bubble or dis your system. You have a very highend computer its just DCS VR requires the very best hardware to have graphic setting on high and high fps and there is always a trade off between the two.

That said you can still have a good experience you'll just need to play around with your headset, GPU, and DCS setting to find the sweet spot it takes a little time but once you get it tweaked you'll never want to fly outside of VR again. Here's a link if you haven't come across this vid it really helped me tune my system, it's a little out of date but hopefully it gets you started, also checkout his other vids, there are a couple more that may help.

Edit are you running DCS off the SSD or HDD?

also, 30FPS is about the highest I have seen if i am not moving my head around. Active low altitude flying and taxing is 18-20FPS. The counter is always red too. Surely, I should be able to maintain 30FPS in active flying, but I cannot even on the lowest settings.

With some tweaking and fine-tuning you should be able to increase your framerate but you'll need to do some research and find out what each setting does and the cost/benefit to fps. We all went through this when we started. VR in DCS is a little more complicated than a standard flat screen set up and there is always a trade off between graphics quality and FPS. You'll have to play around with your settings and work out what works for you. The VR optimization vid from Lukas is a great place to start.

Your hardware should be good enough for a descent DCS experience. Most probably your setup lack something or settings are too high.

For example, Pixel Density should be set to 1.0 in DCS. (Theres multiple ways to do supersampling, and PD is the most demandibg for the CPU.

Its a lot to write about to describe a total setup.

Therefore, I recommend you to follow this guide, or at least check that the most important parts are done/set as per the vr4dcs reverb guide(link below). The guide might be slightly dated but is still valid.

The fpsvr app/software (4 usd on Steam) is very helpfull when tuning the settings for a good experience.

could post two links in the same mess so I will split it.

Reverb: Initial Settings for DCS World VR Thud's VR4DCS

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Next part is the nvidia settings, vr4dcs has a guide for this(just found it and it seems in line with my findings) Link below.

After following or checking these guides we can help with the rest in this thread.

One thing that will kill fps is using supersampling in DCS pixeldensity and SteamVR. SteamVR also have dual supersampling settings that multiply( ask me how I know). Only one of these three choises should have another setting than 1.0 / 100% when the setup is done. During initial tests and settings, none of these should be avove 1.0 / 100%.

The initial goal is to get good frame rates, most probably with too low settings and then step by step increase the settings for picture quality and whatching the frame rate take a drop. When the mix of frame rate vs quality passes your personal preference its tine to stop increasing settings and maybe back of a little.

30hz seems like you did set the headset framerate to 60fps in windows mixed reality.

suggest to start with 90hz and after a while maybe trst 60fps if needed. Many gamers do not like 60hz, and it may also increase the nausea probability. It did a short test and I dont like the 60hz flimmer.

https://vr4dcs.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Nvidia_CP_VR4DCS-c-1.pdf

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

the one thing about the vr4dcs guide at the moment he is using a 3080 ... so that wont translate well to a 2070super

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I took some time to download updated Drivers from Dell. Restarted the machine a few times. I went into adjust the power management of the CPU/GPU in the command center. (the fans run alot now). Now, I am getting 45 FPS near the ground ( 50-60 at higher altitude) with the resolution set at 138% (which is where the dot is on the resolution line in steam VR), MSAA 2x, PD 1.0. Is supersampling the same thing as the resolution adjustment in Steam VR? Also, I don't have any options to change from the 90hz in SteamVR. That is already pre-populated, there is no other option.

Hmm... your #1 makes me wonder if you plugged your HMD into your GPU or your onboard graphics.

Also make sure Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling is off in Windows display settings.

I don't believe I have onboard graphics. I think the Intel KF chip is the one without integrated graphics.

I with the resolution set at 138% (which is where the dot is on the resolution line in steam VR), MSAA 2x, PD 1.0. Is supersampling the same thing as the resolution adjustment in Steam VR? Also, I don't have any options to change from the 90hz in SteamVR. That is already pre-populated, there is no other option.

1. The main setting for 90hz is in WMR/windows mixed reality. Set it there. I think it is possible to set in steamvr also, but for now.

2. PD is the same as supersampling, but PD 1.5 is the same as 122.5% Supersampling. There is a slider for automatic resolution setting, set that to off. If settings are per vr4dcs the slider now will make default 100% SS = about 2206*2160.

Do not use more than 100% initially, because it is hard on the GPU. The goal is to get the system produce fps enough to get it enjoyable when ut comes to smooth gaming. It will have low settings and not look the best fort starters, but it should be smooth.

sett MSAA to off initially.

there is multiple posts about the settings, heres one thread, read my post about specific settings:

Help Me With My Settings - ED Forums

the one thing about the vr4dcs guide at the moment he is using a 3080 ... so that wont translate well to a 2070super

Yes, only refering to the setup to get the system running, not the specific settings. I think it would take a lot of unnessesary time to write up the setup, so if OP just does as the giude say and then tune as we say.

• Like 1