AI stuck at high AoA after making sharp turn if afterburner is restricted

AI pilots occasionally get themselves into high AoA conditions that they cannot recover from without afterburner (if disabled or in an aircraft without AB, they're stuck unless a waypoint commands a descent). The exact circumstances are tough to nail down. A similar mission to the one attached where the AI starts in flight does not seem to have the same issue because the AI makes a wide sweeping turn instead. It does appear that the problem is that the AI refuses to nose down to reduce AoA which would allow them to recover because it would result in a short term descent away from their desired altitude.

It's also worth noting that if I move the waypoint a small amount they don't manage to get themselves stuck at the high AoA condition. It's not clear to me if this is a single pathological case or if this was just bad luck, but this flight plan is a reduced version of something I had actually planned (I expected the AI to take off from the opposite runway). I've observed similar (though not identical) behavior for aircraft turning after completing a Bombing task, and it usually results in them crashing because they cannot gain altitude.

Mission and track file attached.

no ab recovery demo.miz

takeoff sharp turn.trk

• ED Team

Hi,

I think again this is due to the short distance between waypoints, if the waypoints have enough distance between them the AI will do a better job.

Take a look at my edit.

thanks

edit no ab recovery demo.miz

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Yeah, that matches what I'd observed. I agree that this isn't high priority, but it does seem to demonstrate a real (if a fairly avoidable) issue with the AI's flying. If they find themselves stuck at high AoA while flying in a straight line they should pitch down enough to recover if that won't run them into the ground or override AB restrictions if needed. I appreciate them trying to save gas, but the gas isn't worth much if they can't get anywhere :)

If I can come up with a demo that shows this happening on the attack task (where the mission creator has no control over the distances the AI chooses) I'll post an update. I've definitely seen it happen, but it's tougher to reproduce.