AI flights will not climb to hold point because wingman not joined

ColonelPanic42

The attached mission is a simplification of the desired flight plan: take off, ascend to a hold point, loiter until a push time, then push to the objective (objective omitted in this demo). Both pilots are AI.

The AI wingman isn't able to follow the flight lead through the first turn, and it seems that the AI lead will not climb toward the hold point unless the wingman is joined. Once the wingman joins they do begin to climb, but not in time to reach the altitude of the hold point, so instead they do most of the climb in a high speed circle. If you remove the wingman so it is only a single AI aircraft they begin their climb as expected.

A "None" formation option here would be a suitable fix for me, because I don't care if the two are in formation until they push from their loiter point. The hold point is where I expect them to join up.

bad wingman follow climb.trk

climb.miz

• ED Team

Hi

I think this is due to the very short waypoints being used to cover higher altitudes, take a look at my attached edit see what you think.

climb.miz

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Spreading the waypoints out does give the wingman more time to catch up, but that's not the behavior I'm looking for. They're on the way to their rendezvous point, so I don't actually want them waiting for their wingman at this point. Still, the workaround is a good idea, so thanks! I think I can also improve things by slowing them down a bit, since I think the wingman is at MIL trying to catch up and just barely closing.

I probably should have filed this as a feature request instead. Are you able to move it or do I need to repost?

Yes, just in general, a “proceed on your own” option for wingmen and group members would be very handy if it allowed for things like more independent attacks. Not only could it let groups gather up in a more sensible fashion, similar to what the OP wants to achieve, but it would also allow for the opposite: where groups can temporarily split apart and do their own hunting and targeting when combined with tasks such as “search and attack in zone”.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧