[REPORTED]AGL oscillations that leave AI stuck in high AoA condition

I've attached a mission and track that demos an AI aircraft taking off, ascending toward a waypoint specified in AGL, and then turning toward another waypoint. It seems that in attempt to maintain exact radar altitude the AI commands huge pitch oscillations that bleed speed until they reach 18.5 AoA, at which point they seem to be unable to recover. The exact same flight plan with the waypoint specified as MSL (the altitude MSL is the same in both cases; it's the radar altitude specification that seems to affect the AI). I suspect this could be because the buildings the AI is flying over is causing many sudden changes in their radar altitude.

If allowed to use afterburner the AI is able to recover. Somewhat related to https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/digital-combat-simulator/dcs-world-2-5/bugs-and-problems-ai/ai-ad/7121294-ai-stuck-at-high-aoa-after-making-sharp-turn-if-afterburner-is-restricted, but the circumstances that get the AI into this bad state are different.

agl oscillation.miz

agl oscillation.trk

We've seen this for the last 9 months by reproducing with MOOSE GCICAP type scripts which make heavy usage of "RADIO" altitude. It's often easy to get this to happen via scripting. I've no idea why RADIO is even useful at high altitude, it should probably be deprecated as it causes problems that will cause AI to stop responding to instruction, get pegged at 30 degrees AoA and climb slightly until runnning out of fuel. Really the AI should be refactored to use "RADIO" (AGL) when flying very low and "BARO" when their line of sight is unobscured. AI still avoid terrain, its really only useful for getting helicopters to go down into valleys and fly noe, that's it.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• ED Team

Hi

I have reported this to the team to double check what is going on.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks BN. Very much appreciated!

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss