[NO BUG]TPOD won't recenter with HOTAS China Aft

DmitriKozlowsky

TPOD won't recenter with HOTAS China Aft

I am having difficulty recentering TPOD back to boresight. In V1 HOTAS China Hat Aft did it. In V2 short press/click switches to laser spot tracker(LST). Long press of 1 sec. , I thought, is supposed to recenter. But that is not happening. TPOD slews to Waypoint . This happens to me after target has been undesignated. The problem is further made accute by masking. TPOD view just shows sold dark grey. To bring it back to boresight, I cycle through TPOD STBY back to A-G. But this time consuming and cumbersome. I get the logic of default TPOD aimpoint being current waypoint. But re-centered boresight needs to be accessible quickly.

What I do is use the hmd and center to that with dms right long. It's actually better since you can center wherever you're looking. If you want to center boresight, look straight ahead. Just be sure to setup your hmd crosshair to be on vs occluded.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I don't have an HMD, but similar can be done by making HUD SOI, designating a target point near center of HUD LOS, then auto-slew TPOD to target point, then undesignated. But, Dear G*d, it is a time consuming process. I want a quick re-center. Just like in V1. The other issue is the diamond caret in TGP view , that presents relative azimuth of where TPOD is looking, is a weird little gremlin. Without any zoom, the slew rate is still slow, and its confusing. I would be slewing, and slewing, and slewing, and seeing caret being above center of TGP screen , yet the view is either solid grey of mask, or ground/sea view that makes no sense. Keep slewing and I still get nothing, and I wonder if the stupid thing has got a gimbal lock. The implementation sucks and is counterintuitive. The way it worked in V1 is the way it should work in V2. China Hat Aft long press re-centers the TPOD to boresight. Right now, it auto-slews to waypoint, and it takes seconds and precious seconds or longer to bring to front where caret is on HUD. In V2 almost everything to do with TPOD is way too slow and has too many steps. Firing AGM-65L (Mav Laser) is one such example.

Set: Laser to LATCH. Itself requires switching to CNTL page, then exiting.

Lock and designate target

Switch to left MFD Make it SOI (1 second)

DSMS to select Mav L

Switch to Mav page on left MFD. Make it SOI (1 second)

Uncage Mav L seeker

Switch to right MFD, and switch to TGP page and make that SOI (1 second)

Lase target with TGP

Switch back to left MFD and make Mav page SOI. Another 1 second press)

Wait until seeker finds laser spot.

Release weapon.

Rinse and repeat for next Mav L, assuming there is one.

I don't know if this how it is on actual A-10C with Litening II. But ED guys, YGBSM sirs!!!!!! Doing this process under fire is absurdly long and complex.

Its like the good folks at ED, sat around on how to interpret real world TPOD to DCS, and decided on a process that is confusing and absurdly complex.

The software of the A-10C and A-10C II changed the behavior in response to china hat aft short input so both are correct for their respective versions. You should find that after reviewing your technique and requirements that setting TGP to boresight is not necessary to be an effective pilot. "I need to be able to do this." You'll find that you really don't. The desire to reset the sensor you should find is more of an emotional impulse or nervous tick than an actual requirement to perform the mission.

I don't have an HMD

The HMCS is what the other person was referring to when they said "HMD." You have the HMCS, it comes with the A10C "II" as part of the upgrades. The method the person was trying to relay to you, is incredibly functional - I also outlined this method to you in another post, that you were making a similar complaint / point.

Returning the TGP to boresight really isn't a procedure that should be used often, especially after the inclusion of the HMCS. With time, you will probably find a flow that works best for you, maybe you won't - but with the HMCS there is really is zero need to have a boresight TGP option for a HOTAS command.

The other issue is the diamond caret in TGP view , that presents relative azimuth of where TPOD is looking, is a weird little gremlin. Without any zoom, the slew rate is still slow, and its confusing. I would be slewing, and slewing, and slewing, and seeing caret being above center of TGP screen , yet the view is either solid grey of mask, or ground/sea view that makes no sense. Keep slewing and I still get nothing, and I wonder if the stupid thing has got a gimbal lock.

Could it be that you have entered AA mode of the TGP? That is what it sounds like. Possible to make that mistake, and the slew rate would be as you describe. Does it say RATES when you experience this?

If not:

Ensure your FOV is wide and not narrow - ensure you have no zoom. I know you said you had no zoom, but this functionality you describe is nothing like what I experience. With TGP boresight, wide FOV and no zoom - the TGP slews quickly and precisely. If the TGP has gimbal roll, it will say gimbal roll on the TGP display, just above the targeting gate / crosshair.

The implementation sucks and is counterintuitive. The way it worked in V1 is the way it should work in V2. China Hat Aft long press re-centers the TPOD to boresight. Right now, it auto-slews to waypoint, and it takes seconds and precious seconds or longer to bring to front where caret is on HUD.

It really isn't, once you start taking advantage of the HMCS. You can instantly slave the TGP to any point, at any time. You just need to get the "new" flow down. It can take time, don't discourage yourself.

In V2 almost everything to do with TPOD is way too slow and has too many steps.

It really isn't, see above for guidance.

Firing AGM-65L (Mav Laser) is one such example.

Set: Laser to LATCH. Itself requires switching to CNTL page, then exiting.

You should do this upon the TGP completing it's on cycle, implementation of all laser guided munitions "easier" and less tasking while employing weapons.

1.Lock and designate target

2.Switch to left MFD Make it SOI (1 second)

3.DSMS to select Mav L

4.Switch to Mav page on left MFD. Make it SOI (1 second)

5.Uncage Mav L seeker

6.Switch to right MFD, and switch to TGP page and make that SOI (1 second)

7.Lase target with TGP

8.Switch back to left MFD and make Mav page SOI. Another 1 second press)

9.Wait until seeker finds laser spot.

10.Release weapon.

Your flow order should be:

1. Find target (point track or area track) TGP would already be SOI.

2. HUD SOI, Master mode to select CCIP, DMS right/left to select MAV-L (1-2 seconds depending on skill)

3. Select MAV display on left MFD (0.5 seconds or less)

4. Master ARM and LASER ARM on after rolling (0.5 seconds or less)

5. Coolie switch left long MAV SOI (0.5 seconds or less)

6. NWS to fire laser (0.1 seconds)

7. TMS forward short for MAV seeker head to find laser. (0.1 seconds)

8. Weapon release (0.1 seconds or less)

Total time excluding finding target: less than 4-5 seconds (depending on skill / familiarity of flow)

Turn laser off after weapon has reached it's taret.

Its like the good folks at ED, sat around on how to interpret real world TPOD to DCS, and decided on a process that is confusing and absurdly complex.

It's like they want to implement realistic functionality - not to make it difficult for you. That is why training happens (in real life and even here) - so it becomes instinctive, rather than reactionary. You'll get used to it, just takes some time.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria