Detect border violations

Topper81

To improve the realism of DCS, the borders in the ME should be more visible.

Additional, it would be great if there are implementet "border trigger zones" to detect border violations.

Alternatly, you could make it possible to create "poligon trigger zones" because circles are not usefull to mark a border / country etc.

Additional, it should be possible to switch the coaltion of a contry (from neutral to red etc.) by a trigger during a mission.

And maybe it would be great if coalitons can be user defined and can additionaly be created (e.g. for a country, or for "NATO" etc) and countries can be assigned to them.

The relations between the different coaltions should also be user defined (Friendly, Hostile, Neutral etc.) and they can change in a mission.

• Like 1

Agreed on the borders of the ME, they can sometimes be pretty difficult to make out (especially in SAT mode, I usually use the chart in MAP mode where they're much more visible). It could be made a layer that you can turn on/off

As for trigger on border violations, this would be solved if we could make polygon trigger zones in much the same way as you can in Google Earth, which is a long requested feature.

And as for multiple coalitions, I while ago I made this thread on the subject asking for pretty much the same thing.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Polygon trigger zones would be very useful to mission designers indeed. As for changing coalitions, that creates a number of problems. First of all, we don't have a neutral coalition, we can just leave some countries not assigned to a coalition and therefore unavailable in the mission. There's no concept of neutrality in the game. Secondly, the already very simplistic IFF simulation would become even more unrealistic if it would change in flight from foe to friend and the other way around on the fly. I think what you're asking for can be accomplished better by using the in game RoE system (which perhaps could be expanded).

• 5 months later...
On 11/12/2020 at 11:02 AM, Aarnoman said:

I am a strong supporter for both polygonal trigger zones and border violation detection, both would expand the capabilities of mission designers immensely.

Agree 100%. Something relevant that I'd like to see would be the ability to change coalitions in-mission. For example, a given country could be neutral but on violating the border they could turn hostile.

• Like 1

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

16 minutes ago, DarkFire said:

For example, a given country could be neutral but on violating the border they could turn hostile.

you can do that with the ROE command, so they (dont) attack your side, and invisibility command, so your side (doesnt) attack them.

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

3 hours ago, dorianR666 said:

you can do that with the ROE command, so they (dont) attack your side, and invisibility command, so your side (doesnt) attack them.

Problem is you have to do it for every group - we really need a coalition-wide 'doctrine' that controls the default ROE for newly spawned units.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

9 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Problem is you have to do it for every group

true but thats still a tiny problem.

you can simply iterate over all groups belonging to a country and apply the commands. 20 lines of code.

Edited by dorianR666
  • Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580