DCS Super Hercules mod by Anubis

Eight Ball

On 1/5/2021 at 2:44 AM, Tank50us said:

Are you on the Steam version of DCS? If so, go into options->special-Hercules (or whatever it's called), and check the box that has 'Steam' in it (I forget the exact wording)

Yes I’m using the Steam version. Thanks for your reply, I will try when I’m back home 🙂

What am I doing wrong? V5.0 seemed to function fine. I am using v6.1. I have loaded the v6,1  Hercules_Cargo.lua into the mission before adding the aircraft to the mission. Pods/skids load fine however when I drop or LAPES the items/vehicles disappear shortly after hitting the ground. Same with paratroopers. Unlike the Grim Reapers videos. I thought it might be because the mission needed to be set up as Client rather then Player. I tried both. No Joy!

• Like 1

ReShade 4.9.0 User here.  I just successfully Installed and flew the Hercules Beta ver 6.1 for the first time. 

Ticking the box to enable Steam & ReShade in DCS SPECIAL OPTIONS Menu completely fixes the previous versions FPS issues.

Thank you ANUBIS for the successful fix - Congratulations on your wonderful MOD!

I am also getting a DCS Crash to Desktop as soon as I end a Mission with the Hercules in it.  I am running a Plethora of MOD's at the moment so I will not trouble shoot in the current state. 

RE: DCS Crash To Desktop (CtD)

- I also get more frequent CtD when using the MB-339 - I figure it is related to the MOD's not having full access to the SDK and ED making changes to DCS in the last few months with updates.  

AND YES - If I Remove the Core NS430  Navigation System from the Module Manager the Hercules no longer Crashes to Desktop on Exit of a mission. 

I will survive like this and let the future updates work themselves out and in my spare time see if there is a workaround. 

Cheers.

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

After weeks of enjoying the herc, I'm getting a CTD now. I hadnt changed anything, wanted to fly a mission that once worked for me. On mission start, as soon as I can see the cockpit, DCS crashes. At first I thought an update to the newest version of the hercules might help, but that wasn't the case. I'm a Steam user, the steam-option in the menu is enabled. Anyone else having that problem? 

Edited by Tomcatter87

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

have the herculas model

and i put it in the right direction folder

so it appears on instand mission etc

i can fly it perfect!!

but when i go to the mission editor it doesn t appear to the aicraft type pull down manu? why?

when i open a mission with the hercules its inside

but when i try to build a new one with plane etc .. it doesn t show up

someone knows why
???

:joystick::pilotfly::music_whistling:

It‘s a known problem and to fly the Hercules you Need to uninstall the NS430! There is no working workaround at the moment.

CPU: Intel i7-5820K 3,3GHz

Motherboard: ASUS X99-A

Grafik Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX1080 Ti 337.50

RAM: 32GB

PIMAX 5k+ BE

Hotas Warthog with Simped Pedals

WIN 10 64bit

DirctX 11.0

20 hours ago, joejoegetback said:
have the herculas model

and i put it in the right direction folder

so it appears on instand mission etc

i can fly it perfect!!

but when i go to the mission editor it doesn t appear to the aicraft type pull down manu? why?

when i open a mission with the hercules its inside

but when i try to build a new one with plane etc .. it doesn t show up

someone knows why
???

One problem could be the wrong coalition, not all nations can use the Hercules. To do so you need to add your country to the responsible lua file. 

CPU: Intel i7-5820K 3,3GHz

Motherboard: ASUS X99-A

Grafik Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX1080 Ti 337.50

RAM: 32GB

PIMAX 5k+ BE

Hotas Warthog with Simped Pedals

WIN 10 64bit

DirctX 11.0

1 hour ago, Tank50us said:

I just had an interesting idea for an addition to the Herc: The Fulton Recovery System. I know it's not used that much these days, but it would still be an interesting system to equip the Herc with for certain missions.

The Fulton Recovery System ceased operation in 1996. The 8th SOS removed the yokes from it's MC-130Es and mothballed the gear. 

This Herk is a J-model and not even close to have the right equipment on the nose for STARS. It would be a massive remodel. 

28 minutes ago, ST0RM said:

The Fulton Recovery System ceased operation in 1996. The 8th SOS removed the yokes from it's MC-130Es and mothballed the gear. 

This Herk is a J-model and not even close to have the right equipment on the nose for STARS. It would be a massive remodel. 

eh.... it was an idea. I mean, it technically doesn't have the right equipment for a gunship either, but yet we have that ability.

• Like 1

Holy cow! This is one impressive and fun mod! Just starting her up is more fun than should be allowed 🙂

I'm running in VR, and it works rather well (some comments on YouTube led me to believe it doesn't, but I tried anyway. Works well at least with my setup)

Two quick questions:

- Turning: is it just me or does this aircraft require significantly more rudder (i.e. less bank'n'yank, more lorry driving in the horizontal)?

- Landing: How do I dump speed? I intended to touch down at 120 KIAS, only to notice that this thing really doesn't want to slow down. Full flaps did help some, but I still had to touch down at 220

Great Mod, thank you so much!

• Like 2

I tried using the F-10 Coordinate box mod that came with 6.2 but I still couldn't grab coordinates when in VR.  Pressing Caps Lock it the box tool on doesn't show the cursor pixel location in vr. Does still how it, but on the monitor.

Does anyone have the working X/Y values for the Rift S?

Intel Core i7 7700, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel 660P PCIe NVMe, Zotac 2070 Super Amp, Oculus Rift S

A-10C, FA-18C, F-14B, FC3, F-5E, F-86, AV8B, M-2000, Combined Arms, AJS37, F-16C, C-101, MiG-15Bis, MiG-19P, MiG-21Bis, L-39, P-51D, Spitfire LFMkIX, Bf-109, Fw-190 Dora, Fw-190 Anton, P-47D, I-16, SA342, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Ka-50

On 1/23/2021 at 8:04 AM, cfrag said:

- Landing: How do I dump speed? I intended to touch down at 120 KIAS, only to notice that this thing really doesn't want to slow down. Full flaps did help some, but I still had to touch down at 220

I don't have this mod, but generally, you get off throttle earlier, maybe you drop flaps and gear to increase drag, and limit your rate of descent.  You could also try descending at a lower forward airspeed, but with a medium angle of attack that would provide a fair amount of drag.

Has anyone noticed the artificial horizons on the front panel doesn't seem to indicate any bank angle?  It does seem to show pitch, at least on the main "Airbus" style horizon, with the blue and brown.   Is this a big deal? Of course not, when the HUD has full functionality! But still, it's visually disconcerting to see the AH be perfectly flat while you are in a 30 degree banking turn! 

Is it worth a lot of programming to get this working? No. But if it's an easy fix, a quick edit, then why not?  

This might be of significant interest especially if people are interested in an earlier Hercules, like the extremely common H models and variants, that never had a HUD !

On 1/24/2021 at 2:04 AM, cfrag said:

How do I dump speed? I intended to touch down at 120 KIAS, only to notice that this thing really doesn't want to slow down. Full flaps did help some, but I still had to touch down at 220

Wow - I've been able to touch down under 100 myself as well as land on the carrier (no tailhook). 

Not sure what the go is there (although I was empty - if you were full of cargo and/or overweight that could make a difference?).

Another option for reducing speed is to hit reverse thrust. I use this for the carrier landing to pull me up quickly.

Hope this helps, but my main guess is if you can't fly under 120kts without falling out of the sky with full flaps on, it's possibly weight related.

6 minutes ago, Rick50 said:

Has anyone noticed the artificial horizons on the front panel doesn't seem to indicate any bank angle? 

It's a work in progress - many features still not yet developed. It's "early access release". 😄

Danger, that's a very good point: aircraft weight matters a LOT for performance, or lack thereof.  So let's say you sparked up your Hercules, and it has full fuel load. Then you add a heavy cargo load, say maybe a Bradley IFV. Then you fly about the map for say 20 minutes, maybe an hour. So you are still at 85% of fuel load. Now you try comming in for a tactical landing, only to discover that your practical stalling speed is... high. Very high. So your approach speed is fast, maybe too fast for the real bird's flap speed limits.  Basically, although you were babying the aircraft in terms of your flying control inputs, you have been asking the airframe for more than it can provide. 

Solutions: dump fuel before landing. Or take less to start with, by careful planning for sortie distance, fuel reserve, and checking fuel consumption tables. Maybe take a lighter cargo load if you need to go a very long way. Airliners can go further with a lighter passenger/cargo load, in part because they can fill the tanks right to maximum. But if their cargo and pax are at maximum, then they sometimes have to carry less than a full load of fuel, and because they are heavy, will be burning at a faster rate due to more drag (and slightly higher angles of attack sometimes). At least, that's the theory as I understand it.

Now, this Hercules is the mighty "J", where it's four turbines and their new props, put out enough power to equal C-130-H that had a 5th turboprop added to it!! More thrust means either heavier takeoff weights, or shorter takeoff roll... better performance anyway! And that's considering the H is/was a beast of a plane!

Looks like the newest DCS version (256.60720) broke the Herc 6.1 Version from December 2020. Crashes upon loading the mission in play mode (can edit in Mission Editor).

To re-create: create new mission, add two-ship Herules 'start from parking hot', as client, start mission - crash after selecting one of the two slots.

Bummer. That MOD really has me hooked. On the plus side: my Tank Killer sees more of me now.