DCS: F-14 Development Update - Enter the -A!

Cobra847

On 2/12/2021 at 4:39 PM, LanceCriminal86 said:

We're not getting "early" Cats, we're getting the second to last batch of As somewhat as they rolled off the line in 84/85. I tried to see if they'd swap the "early" 135 for a US -95 but we're basically just getting the exact same thing we already have but with a different RWR and maybe LANTIRN turned off.

Not that a -95 is a super early jet but it at least better represents the 80s jets and can pretend to be an older one if they solve the TCS swapping puzzle.

So for a USN -95 vs an IRAF -95 what would the practical difference be? The tanks are an obvious one. Would the lack of the flir set matter? Was it used much if at all?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

15 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

So for a USN -95 vs an IRAF -95 what would the practical difference be? The tanks are an obvious one. Would the lack of the flir set matter? Was it used much if at all?

If you look at the movie "The Final Countdown", those VF-84 jets dont have a TCS or fuel tanks/pylons either. 

9 minutes ago, Skysurfer said:

If you look at the movie "The Final Countdown", those VF-84 jets dont have a TCS or fuel tanks/pylons either. 

So we basically need "skins"?

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

9 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

9 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

So we basically need "skins"?

Take the current feature set of the "early" -135 we are slated for, and swap the visual model. There's your systems difference as long as ECM in DCS continues to be on/off.

Otherwise the -95 would have a slightly different, maybe less effective ECM suite, as they lack the ALQ-126.

Past that, the -95 model would need to optionally have TCS or TCS with the bullet fairing instead of the ALQ-100 only like the Iranian cats.

No LANTIRN and probably restrict A2G based on dates until early 90s when Bombcat testing started in earnest.

Skin would not be an accurate term as the -95 has some slight visual model changes, as mentioned previously the ALQ-126 antennas by the intakes and the older beaver tail that lacks the ALR-67 housing. You can paint on earlier markings but to some it's just not right seeing late features on what's supposed to be an older jet.

As didn't get the -67 apparently until later 90s or 00s, if at all. Some stuff slated for upgrades on 1998/99 training docs may never have been deployed. B's had them and the D I think had a different RWR. I personally would rather have the -135 just be the late A, and drop the early work into the -95. Easier to pretend a late 135 is a late 80s one than to take a 135 and pretend it's a -95.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 2:46 PM, Skysurfer said:

I think these early A's also don't have the TF30-P-414A, they'd be the -412 - not sure if the differences are enough to model though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...