F-15C Training Missions!

N22YF

Thank you--so much--for making these!

The day before yesterday I tried to go back to the LOMAC training missions for the F-15 and found that most of the graphical elements appear off-screen during the voice-over and pointer sections of the training.  Now I can finally, and somewhat sadly, say goodbye to LOMAC.

Others have mentioned how good these missions are for training up on the F-15.  They are.  In addition, they're beautiful.  That Lesson 7 with the thunderstorm and lightning... the advanced takeoff mission at dusk with multiple cloud layers...  I marvel at the work ED has done to give us a beautiful environment but you, you show it at it's very best.

In addition, the richness of multiple AI aircraft including an Su-25 formation wingman, multiple F-15Cs and F-15Es, helis, and other aircraft.  I'm in the process of creating training missions for the A-10C and I now know what I should strive for.

Thank you.

One note I found is that in the advanced takeoff mission you say Ctrl-Alt-L to enable the beacon.  It seemed to me that didn't work and that Ctrl-L is a three-way toggle: exterior lights off, beacon, exterior lights and beacon (or, as I think of it, perhaps a four-way because it seems I could get exterior non-beacon lights as well.)  A niggle, though.

• Like 1

Well Done! 👍👍

• Like 1

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

On 12/5/2020 at 3:08 PM, ia_pro1691 said:

Couple of suggestions for improvement would be either another "advanced landing" mission that isn't quite as crazy with the cross winds and such to practice the instrument approach with little to no visibility, or toning that down just a bit in that mission. I've yet to successfully get this one done. I'm also still struggling to consistently find contacts on my radar, especially at extended distances like 40+ miles. I know they are out there based on RWR, I'm scanning from 0 to 40-50K feet in different aspects and still can't seem to get any blips on the radar. This isn't specific to your BVR mission, but just playing in general. A longer, more detailed and maybe somewhat slower paced BVR and Radar lesson would be great. 

Thank you for taking the time to write up your feedback and suggestions for me! 🙂

I was trying to avoid about making longer, more detailed training missions because I was worried about information overload (there's quite a lot packed in already - I thought it better to leave the remaining details to be read in the manual), but maybe I erred too far on the side of succinctness. I'll revisit! Making those lessons slower pace is difficult because, in the radar lesson, the target aircraft can only travel so slow (especially at altitude), and in the BVR lesson, I didn't think it would be realistic enough if the targets weren't accelerating to intercept, but I'll see what I can do!

At longer ranges, targets can be undetectable on radar, especially if they're small, lower, and/or notching (although you won't see them on your RWR if they're notching), so not seeing targets at these ranges doesn't necessarily mean you're doing anything wrong! Also note that often you will see a target on your RWR at longer ranges than where you detect them (and where they detect you) on radar; this is because the radar beam rapidly loses strength as it travels, and it has to travel half as far to reach a target (and set off the RWR) as it does to bounce back and return to the emitter.

On 12/8/2020 at 11:11 PM, torreypine said:

Thank you--so much--for making these!

The day before yesterday I tried to go back to the LOMAC training missions for the F-15 and found that most of the graphical elements appear off-screen during the voice-over and pointer sections of the training.  Now I can finally, and somewhat sadly, say goodbye to LOMAC.

Others have mentioned how good these missions are for training up on the F-15.  They are.  In addition, they're beautiful.  That Lesson 7 with the thunderstorm and lightning... the advanced takeoff mission at dusk with multiple cloud layers...  I marvel at the work ED has done to give us a beautiful environment but you, you show it at it's very best.

In addition, the richness of multiple AI aircraft including an Su-25 formation wingman, multiple F-15Cs and F-15Es, helis, and other aircraft.  I'm in the process of creating training missions for the A-10C and I now know what I should strive for.

Thank you.

One note I found is that in the advanced takeoff mission you say Ctrl-Alt-L to enable the beacon.  It seemed to me that didn't work and that Ctrl-L is a three-way toggle: exterior lights off, beacon, exterior lights and beacon (or, as I think of it, perhaps a four-way because it seems I could get exterior non-beacon lights as well.)  A niggle, though.

Thank you for your kind words! I was hoping others would appreciate these touches!

[Right Alt + Right Ctrl + L] will toggle the anti-collision lights on and off, and [Right Ctrl + L] is a three-way toggle between off, navigation lights (which are excessively dim), and navigation+anti-collision lights. Starting with all lights off, if you press each of these key combos once, you should end up with both anti-collision lights and navigation lights on. I just tested this on both stable (2.5.6.55960) and OpenBeta (2.5.6.58125) and it worked for me, so I'm not sure why it wasn't working for you 🤔 (The behavior of arbitrary combinations of presses of these key combos is a little odd and is discussed in the thread "Lights Broken in Patch.")

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 12:13 AM, gilmour73 said:

Awesome and very well made training missions! I am doing the deployment mission and getting utterly wrecked everytime.

@gilmour73Yeah, That mission was hard for me too. 

I kept getting shot down no matter what I tried.  I did make it once, but with only 300.lbs of fuel and a dead wingman, so I considered that a failure. 😞

It wasn't until I viewed one of these failed missions in Tachview that I saw my mistake.  I was flying INTO the SAM.  I was so focused on the A\A missiles that I forgot about the SAM sight and would fly directly into it's range.  Tachview also showed that I had out-maneuvering some of the A\A missiles but during the mission I had no idea I did. LOL
The last time I flew it, I was able to out-maneuver the A\A missiles while staying out of range of the SAM and landed with a LIVE wingman. 🙂

I learned a lot from this mission, it took several tries but in honesty, that's about the only way I truly "get it."  LOL

Edited by Ozmandi
  • Like 1

These missions are really great! Thanks for making them! I would really love to see equally well made training missions for the hornet. You wouldn’t think about that? 😇

Z390 MB | i7-8700k | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB m.2 NVME | 1TB SATA SSD | AsRock 6900XT | PowerMac G5 Case Mod | HP Reverb G2 | AKG K500 | TM Warthog | Virpil TCS Rotor Base w/ Constellation Alpha | Virpil MongoosT CM2 base w/ MongooseT grip (soon) | MFG Crosswind pedals | 3x TM Cougar MFDs

6 hours ago, Archduke said:

These missions are really great! Thanks for making them! I would really love to see equally well made training missions for the hornet. You wouldn’t think about that? 😇

Thank you! 🙂 The Hornet, eh? Is there anything specific you would like to see in new Hornet training missions compared to the included training missions?

On 12/28/2020 at 4:26 AM, N22YF said:

Thank you! 🙂 The Hornet, eh? Is there anything specific you would like to see in new Hornet training missions compared to the included training missions?

Sorry, I haven't touched the Hornet for some time. Just realized that there are quite a few missions right there under "Missions", additionally to the training missions. Seems I've missed these - I'm feeling a little bit embarrassed now. 🙄 Guess I'll first see what's in there before I come asking you for more missions. 😀 But again - thanks for your training for the F-15! They really help getting a little bit more proficient. 🙂

• Like 1

Z390 MB | i7-8700k | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB m.2 NVME | 1TB SATA SSD | AsRock 6900XT | PowerMac G5 Case Mod | HP Reverb G2 | AKG K500 | TM Warthog | Virpil TCS Rotor Base w/ Constellation Alpha | Virpil MongoosT CM2 base w/ MongooseT grip (soon) | MFG Crosswind pedals | 3x TM Cougar MFDs

Hi N22YF,

Thank you for creating the training missions.  They are really helping me getting back to flight sims after all these years.

A very noob question.  In the advanced landing mission...  where am I supposed to taxi to once I land?  I get that the blue lights are taxi ways and I am supposed to follow them but where am I supposed to bring the F15 to before I park?

Thank you.  It's incredible that DCS doesn't have a training mission for F15...  I mean F15 must be one of their most popular and approachable modules...  Just a shame.   It could attract a lot more people especially after free trials.  You are doing their work really.

BTW, if I could be so bold...  would you mind considering supplementing your training missions with additional missions?  Flying formations, flying traffic patterns, low level flying, that sort of things.  I guess they aren't particularly F15 specific but it will help noobs a lot in getting themselves familiar with this complex sim. 

Finally, A10A would be great too...  Any interest in doing Mig29 as well?

Edited by Gamerdoc

On 12/30/2020 at 6:17 PM, andrey1989 said:

Hi N22YF, I liked your work on the F-15C training missions, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind if I translated it into Spanish so we Spanish speakers could enjoy it.

Gracias! Yes, that sounds great - thank you for asking! 🙂 I'm going to try to release minor update within the next month, so you may want to wait until that before starting the translations, if you're not in a rush.

6 minutes ago, N22YF said:

Gracias! Sí, suena genial, ¡gracias por preguntar! 🙂Voy a intentar lanzar una actualización menor durante el próximo mes, por lo que es posible que desee esperar hasta eso antes de comenzar las traducciones, si no tiene prisa.

Great, just when I finished translating, I was just waiting for permission to publish the translation with the rest of the translations I did. I'll just have to wait some more. Thank you.

On 12/30/2020 at 9:50 PM, Gamerdoc said:

Thank you for creating the training missions.  They are really helping me getting back to flight sims after all these years.

Glad to hear you found them helpful!

In the advanced landing mission...  where am I supposed to taxi to once I land?

Ah, the intent was just to park anywhere you want (outside of runways or taxiways, of course) - sorry that wasn't more clear! I'll try to make that less confusing in the next update of the missions.

BTW, if I could be so bold...  would you mind considering supplementing your training missions with additional missions?  Flying formations, flying traffic patterns, low level flying, that sort of things.  I guess they aren't particularly F15 specific but it will help noobs a lot in getting themselves familiar with this complex sim. 

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep it in mind!

Finally, A10A would be great too...  Any interest in doing Mig29 as well?

Well the MiG-29 operates very similarly to the Su-27, which there are already training missions for, so I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to create a whole new set of training missions for it - the only real important difference (in my opinion) is probably R-77s and the СНП2 (TWS2) radar mode with the MiG-29S, but maybe I could do a single training mission covering these. Also, our esteemed colleague @Rudel_chw has already created a great set of MiG-29A practice missions, although I suppose they're a little less noob-friendly since they require the Persian Gulf map.

37 minutes ago, N22YF said:

Also, our esteemed colleague @Rudel_chw has already created a great set of MiG-29A practice missions, although I suppose they're a little less noob-friendly since they require the Persian Gulf map.

...and a bunch of mods on top of that 🙂

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

3 minutes ago, draconus said:

...and a bunch of mods on top of that 🙂

I embrace user mods, they make my DCS experience so much more interesting 🙂

AWrIM3Q.jpg

• Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

21 hours ago, N22YF said:

Also, our esteemed colleague @Rudel_chw has already created a great set of MiG-29A practice missions, although I suppose they're a little less noob-friendly since they require the Persian Gulf map.

Great, I will check out the Mig29A missions.  It so happens I just bought the persian theater as well in the sale 🙂

You guys keep this sim and noobs like myself going...  thanks again.  

• Like 1

HI

Like everyone else can I start my giving my sincere thanks for the time it must have taken you take make these. I have a couple of suggestions -

1. Could you add a mission after the advanced landing where you just do simple touch and go circuits? 
  2. For the mission where you fly from one base to the other unarmed, I have no idea how I am supposed to avoid getting shot down, so.. I keep getting shot down! Prior to that mission, maybe in the previous one, could you add some tips and practice on how to avoid SAMs? 

Thanks again, and hope to see you in the skies one day soon. 

NIGGLES

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NIGGLES said:

For the mission where you fly from one base to the other unarmed, I have no idea how I am supposed to avoid getting shot down, so.. I keep getting shot down! Prior to that mission, maybe in the previous one, could you add some tips and practice on how to avoid SAMs?

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/255144-combat-strategy-f-15c/

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 1/7/2021 at 5:37 AM, NIGGLES said:

Like everyone else can I start my giving my sincere thanks for the time it must have taken you take make these. I have a couple of suggestions -

1. Could you add a mission after the advanced landing where you just do simple touch and go circuits? 
  2. For the mission where you fly from one base to the other unarmed, I have no idea how I am supposed to avoid getting shot down, so.. I keep getting shot down! Prior to that mission, maybe in the previous one, could you add some tips and practice on how to avoid SAMs? 

Thank you for your suggestions! For #2, I'll try to rework that mission and/or add some more instruction to make it easier. Basically, all you need to do is use your RWR to steer well clear of any air or ground threats, so I'll try to make that more apparent. Apologies for the difficulty!

53 minutes ago, panamahatzh said:

Thank you. These have been great albeit extremely challenging.

Thank you for your feedback! The instrument landing practice (#7) is intended to be extremely challenging, and air-to-air refueling is, by its nature, extremely challenging at first, but the other missions weren't supposed to be too bad - could you elaborate a little on what you found challenging?

55 minutes ago, panamahatzh said:

13 Intercept is where I have hit a brick wall!

What is giving you trouble on this mission? Are you getting shot down, or just having difficulty preventing the strike package from damaging the airbase?

7 minutes ago, N22YF said:

Thank you for your feedback! The instrument landing practice (#7) is intended to be extremely challenging, and air-to-air refueling is, by its nature, extremely challenging at first, but the other missions weren't supposed to be too bad - could you elaborate a little on what you found challenging?

What is giving you trouble on this mission? Are you getting shot down, or just having difficulty preventing the strike package from damaging the airbase?

The fact that they are challenging, is a good thing, don't get me wrong, that's how we learn right?

Air to Air, I havent completed yet tbh. I'm sure it's just a matter of practice makes perfect!!

I think though, some advice on strategy might be helpful, like for example the unarmed field to field mission which I only completed after reading your comments on what the mission was meant to teach us.

Yes, I am getting shot down after taking out one of the enemy and perhaps the time to engage and destroy is possibly short, I don't know, would like to hear others opinions, as it could simply be, me thats the problem and not the mission parameters.

• Like 1