F-15C Training Missions!

N22YF

On 10/4/2021 at 6:48 PM, Johnspar said:

Thank you again. I'll try and I'll give you a feedback.

Have a nice evening.

And at the end I did it. Thanks again.

On 10/5/2021 at 12:59 PM, MAXsenna said:

I did it this way! 😊😉

image.png

Screen_211005_125238.png

Thanks a lot. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am a little confused.  I know that the dagger on the HSI is for the course line and the triangle is for the bearing.  However, on the HUD, what does the line on the heading scale and the bank angle line represent?  The direction to the course line or the bearing?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

3 hours ago, sobe said:

However, on the HUD, what does the line on the heading scale and the bank angle line represent?

Mark on the HUD heading tape shows you bearing to the next waypoint while the line in the middle of the HUD in NAV mode will show you optimal way to get to the course line.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

9 hours ago, sobe said:

I am a little confused.  I know that the dagger on the HSI is for the course line and the triangle is for the bearing.  However, on the HUD, what does the line on the heading scale and the bank angle line represent?  The direction to the course line or the bearing?

Apologies if the training mission for this topic (04 Navigation, Autopilot, & Fuel Management) wasn't clear enough! Here's the text from that training mission that covers this - could you tell me which part was confusing, so I can improve the explanation?

The small vertical line on the bottom of the heading scale at the top of the HUD is the assigned heading mark. This indicates the direction of the current waypoint.

The vertical line in the middle of the HUD is the bank steering index. If you align your velocity vector with this, you will reach the current waypoint along the course line, which is the straight line from the previous waypoint to the current waypoint.

(This is also explained on pages 47-48 of the DCS F-15C manual.)

Note that the bank steering index isn't related to the bank angle, at least not directly. The bank angle is the roll angle between your wings and the horizon, while the bank steering index shows where you need to bank and steer to in order to follow the course line. You could use a steep bank angle to steer to this quickly, or a shallow bank angle to steer more slowly.

I think I got that now.  Sometimes you just have to read what is written and not what you think is written.   One more question.  The course degree in the upper right of the HSI.  If you are off course, will the degree take you back on course or take you directly to the intended WP?  I am now doing the missile lesson. 

PS  One of the reasons that I have gone back to the F15 is that as I get older, the more complex modules are just to hard to remember all of the different modes for the radar, TPOD, etc and I just lost the fun of flying.  So back to the F15 and it would be get if you did a similar set of lessons for the Mig 29S/Su 27 set of planes as these are my next venture.

Edited by sobe
Added the PS
  • Like 1

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

1 hour ago, sobe said:

The course degree in the upper right of the HSI.  If you are off course, will the degree take you back on course or take you directly to the intended WP?

Neither, actually - I tried to explain this in that training mission, but maybe I didn't do a good job? Here is the text from the HSI description from that mission - could you let me know if some part of this is confusing or unclear, so I can improve the explanation?

The top right number, labeled "COURSE," is the course direction: this is the heading along the course line from the previous waypoint to the current waypoint. This will be your heading if you are flying towards the current waypoint along the course line.

1 hour ago, sobe said:

One of the reasons that I have gone back to the F15 is that as I get older, the more complex modules are just to hard to remember all of the different modes for the radar, TPOD, etc and I just lost the fun of flying.

I know what you mean! I actually like the FC3 planes a lot for that reason - you lose some realism vs. full-fidelity modules, but it's much easier and quicker to get up to speed on how to fly them when you're starting out, and easier to remember if you take a break and come back.

1 hour ago, sobe said:

it would be get if you did a similar set of lessons for the Mig 29S/Su 27 set of planes as these are my next venture.

Well there are already MiG-29 and Su-27 training missions provided with the game - they're a little bare-bones, but they're complete enough that I don't think it would be worth the effort to create a whole new set of training missions (in contrast to the F-15, which does not have any provided training missions).

Well there are already MiG-29 and Su-27 training missions provided with the game - they're a little bare-bones, but they're complete enough that I don't think it would be worth the effort to create a whole new set of training missions (in contrast to the F-15, which does not have any provided training missions).
I humbly disagree!
Your F-15 and@cfrag 's A-10A training missions are on another level, which lacks in the other FC3 modules. (Apart from the Su-25T, maybe).

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

The top right number, labeled "COURSE," is the course direction: this is the heading along the course line from the previous waypoint to the current waypoint. This will be your heading if you are flying towards the current waypoint along the course line.

So if you go off course, will the number send you back on course first and then follow the course to the wp or will it take you directly to the wp?

3 hours ago, sobe said:

So if you go off course, will the number send you back on course first and then follow the course to the wp or will it take you directly to the wp?

It's a static number until you change waypoint because waypoints are static. If you go off course and just head to the course number you'll just fly parallel to the course line.

That number is actually very useful since it tells you the runway direction in landing mode. That way you can change the airfields and tell which one you have choosen to navigate to depending on the course number. Beware it can change 180 with the changes in wind direction and strenght. Of course you'll need airfields table for that. It's kind of FC3 hack since we don't get TACAN or ADF nav.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

11 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

I humbly disagree! emoji4.png
Your F-15 and@cfrag 's A-10A training missions are on another level, which lacks in the other FC3 modules. (Apart from the Su-25T, maybe). emoji6.png

Thank you! I was attempting to do a much better job than the provided FC3 training missions and I'm glad it was appreciated! 😊 However, I think you might not disagree that a new set of MiG-29 or Su-27 lessons wouldn't be worth the effort if you knew how much effort such an undertaking took! 😛

• Like 1

Thank you! I was attempting to do a much better job than the provided FC3 training missions and I'm glad it was appreciated! However, I think you might not disagree that a new set of MiG-29 or Su-27 lessons wouldn't be worth the effort if you knew how much effort such an undertaking took!

Hehe, yes of course!
But one can wish. It's that time of the year after all!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Puh... mission 09 is... tough.

Tried at 30k and at 500 ft; managed to evade a few missiles, but 2(?) Mig-31 just pack too many, so in the end - even though hugging the ground, masking behind hills and enabling ECM to further negate their ability to lock on did help a lot - I always get shot down.

So, now I tried going the other way: 60k ft w/ AB and gliding down on MIL power to 50k ft.

The Mig's never even managed to paint me. I'm quite the radar noob, having just begun DCS a few days ago, but was that because they had their radar at a more straight on or even lowered position? So they might pick up targets in front and below them, but not above?

@N22YFI've posted on the DL page: THANK YOU for these awesome missions!!! These are throughly needed, as the F-15C (being a fighter & a low fidelity module) is probably the best Jet to learn DCS (imho) and weirdly enough, there are no training missions from ED 😵

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dlder said:

Puh... mission 09 is... tough.

Tried at 30k and at 500 ft; managed to evade a few missiles, but 2(?) Mig-31 just pack too many, so in the end - even though hugging the ground, masking behind hills and enabling ECM to further negate their ability to lock on did help a lot - I always get shot down.

The main skill required in this mission is following briefing instructions, not missile evasion 🙂 Make sure you read the whole briefing and are following the instructions as written! (And make sure you're using the latest version of these training missions, which is v1.2 posted on June 30th.) If you're still having trouble after doing that, though, let me know! Maybe I need to make the instructions more clear.

9 hours ago, dlder said:

The Mig's never even managed to paint me. I'm quite the radar noob, having just begun DCS a few days ago, but was that because they had their radar at a more straight on or even lowered position? So they might pick up targets in front and below them, but not above?

Hard to say without knowing the specifics, but that's certainly possible!

9 hours ago, dlder said:

@N22YFI've posted on the DL page: THANK YOU for these awesome missions!!! These are throughly needed, as the F-15C (being a fighter & a low fidelity module) is probably the best Jet to learn DCS (imho) and weirdly enough, there are no training missions from ED 😵

Glad to have helped!! 🙂 I also felt like it was a great jet to learn DCS on, since the cockpit is in English and it's much simpler than e.g. the Hornet (and much cheaper too)!

• Like 2

Dude I really love these missions. Very good quality, and they take you from 0 to hero in just a couple of days. They are the perfect beginning for a new DCS player, and great for anyone wanting to learn to fly the F15C.
Actually, ED should add them to the game as default training missions!

• Like 4

@N22YF

Could it be that mission 15 (Ariel Gunnery) is broken?

I can start the mission, then I change to the Gun with "c". Now, I can still shoot the cannon with Space.

BUT: as soon as I turn on the radar with "i", I can no longer fire the gun!?

This is only in this mission - afaik.

• Thanks 1

I had an idea, and this workaround works:

-> when I rebind the Weapon Fire key from Space to something different (e.g. LCtrl + LAlt + Z), then it works.

=> some script/trigger seems to "block" the space bar; but not when enabling the radar, but after 

"When you're ready, press the space bar to unpause the lesson"

After using the space bar to unpause the mission, you can no longer fire the cannon with the space bar, only with a different key!

20 minutes ago, dlder said:

some script/trigger seems to "block" the space bar

Correct, the spacebar and the backspace keys have special use within DCS Trigger actions, the mission builder should say so on the mission instructions and make sure to tell the user to rebind them. You wont have problems if you bind your weapon release to a Hotas button, instead of using the keyboard.

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

19 hours ago, dlder said:

Could it be that mission 15 (Ariel Gunnery) is broken?

I can start the mission, then I change to the Gun with "c". Now, I can still shoot the cannon with Space.

BUT: as soon as I turn on the radar with "i", I can no longer fire the gun!?

Oh my gosh, I think it is broken - thank you so much for pointing this out! (In all my testing, I think my beta testers and I always used a joystick button to fire the gun, and so we never noticed this issue with the space bar!) I will fix this and get an updated version out within a week! (I would do it sooner, but I'm away for the holidays at the moment.) In the meantime, you can certainly bind the "Weapon Fire" command to another key and/or a HOTAS button as a workaround, as you and @Rudel_chw mentioned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/28/2021 at 1:06 PM, dlder said:

Wow, nice! Ty again for your work; it helped me tremendously as a beginner of all of "DCS" 🙂

Glad to hear that! 🙂

Alright I uploaded an updated version of the missions - the space bar issue in the aerial gunnery mission should be fixed now! Thanks again for reporting the bug!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2020 at 1:29 AM, N22YF said:

Thanks so much for this feedback! I actually never tried flying this mission all the way to landing - I'll make sure to fix this issue when I release an update! (I doubt you did anything stupid! The AI can do funny things like this when left to its own devices.)

I tried to follow the mission and it looks like there's an issue with the WP's, I had to go back to WP0 and follow it to WP1 for the mission to finish, am I just a noob? Emailed you to try and explain the issue.

Anyway, THANKS for the Missions, they are REALLY helpful to this noob.

- Menace

11 hours ago, menace said:

I tried to follow the mission and it looks like there's an issue with the WP's, I had to go back to WP0 and follow it to WP1 for the mission to finish, am I just a noob? Emailed you to try and explain the issue.

Anyway, THANKS for the Missions, they are REALLY helpful to this noob.

Hey, glad you found them helpful! 🙂 Thank you for letting me know about this issue! Unfortunately I looked into this mission and I couldn't reproduce the issue myself. Your problem is that you couldn't get the notification that the mission was complete by navigating straight to WP3 as requested - you had to first turn around and go back to WP0, and then fly to WP3, is that correct? Would you be able to upload a track file from when you fly this mission and encounter this issue? (After you fly the mission and end it, you can click "Save Track" in the "Debriefing" window to save a track file of the flight.)