[BORESIGHT FIRST] Can't get Mav seeker to Align with TPOD

jonsky7

i found something yesterday .... if the TGP box and the MAV head does not match ..if you press A-G master mode button the TGP and the MAV head go into HUD center. even if the TGP is in AUTO or MAN.

I think in RL does not do that.

Also the TGP cannot move the head during the F-16 is in the ground ...why?

How to BSGT TGP and MAV in the ground?

2 hours ago, Danzig said:

How do i boresight my mavs without  a tgp?

since a couple days it was not necessaryDigital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2020.12.15 - 21.36.49.02.png

I am confused. Boresighting is the process of aligning the TGP line of sight with the Mav line of sight. If you don't have a TGP you obviously cannot align anything to it.

That's not strictly true. Boresighting is calibration of the missile line of sight as installed. It has the most utility when using the TGP since it's so precise  and the TGP is the only device which supports automatic handoff. But you can absolutely calibrate the missile LOS and gain a benefit in alignment without TGP.

The LOS that the missile calibrates against matter of which sensor is providing SPI. If TGP is SOI and tracking then it's TGP (POINT is preferred but AREA works too). If it's FCR SOI and tracking it's FCR. If it's HUD SOI then it's through the box.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Frederf said:

That's not strictly true. Boresighting is calibration of the missile line of sight as installed. It has the most utility when using the TGP since it's so precise  and the TGP is the only device which supports automatic handoff. But you can absolutely calibrate the missile LOS and gain a benefit in alignment without TGP.

The LOS that the missile calibrates against matter of which sensor is providing SPI. If TGP is SOI and tracking then it's TGP (POINT is preferred but AREA works too). If it's FCR SOI and tracking it's FCR. If it's HUD SOI then it's through the box.

Ah, so Danzig wants to align HUD LOS to Mav LOS? I guess that is what the screenshot is trying to say. Hmm, never heard about that in the current state of the F16 in DCS. I don't think it is a thing (yet).

8 minutes ago, Donglr said:

Ah, so Danzig wants to align HUD LOS to Mav LOS? I guess that is what the screenshot is trying to say. Hmm, never heard about that in the current state of the F16 in DCS. I don't think it is a thing (yet).

Hi,

I think so. The misalignment should be corrected by boresighting the missile LOS to the HUD LOS.
So, in real life, it can be done in VIS mode.

I tried to to that in DCS F-16, but I can't do proper alignment. Maybe is a WIP or it is not planned.

Any comments from the moderator or developer?

Best regards,

3 hours ago, Donglr said:

Yeah right, when i hit tms forward ( i think) -> the mav is not looking exactly where the Hud targetbox is looking. 

like in the screenshot -> so i always have to readjust it  a little bit. That has to be a new "thing" or a bug. Have it since a couple days.

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2020.12.15 - 21.37.43.36.png

Edited by Danzig

Well, I just tried it and I can confirm that HUD and MAV are not aligned. I also could not manage to boresight them, pressing the BRSGHT button does nothing. Also when you move the HUD it moves the MAV, but when you move the MAV the HUD does not move. Don't know if this is as it's supposed to be, but anyways, I am not aware that there is anything you can do about it in the current state of development.

Try slewing the HUD box onto something, swap soi to MAV and then correct the Mav alignment with where the HUD box is pointing and then hit the boresight OSB? just a thought, haven't tried it. 

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I tested BSGT function by deliberately putting TGP and missile on different trucks a small distance apart. In theory this should introduce a deliberate misalignment by exactly that amount. The result I got was not that which suggests a "cheat" of sorts behind the scenes.

Yeah, the symbol alignment isn't right. One of the symbols, I think the TD box, isn't using the center of the symbol as the center of the symbol. Both are aligned but the pixel that is the 0,0 point isn't in the middle of the symbol graphic. They are aligned logically.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Deano87 said:

Try slewing the HUD box onto something, swap soi to MAV and then correct the Mav alignment with where the HUD box is pointing and then hit the boresight OSB? just a thought, haven't tried it. 

That is exactly what I did but to no effect. After releasing target and re-locking HUD and Mav are still un-aligned.

You have to do all kind of chores to get those things to work, and even when u do the chores on the ground the auto handoff feature is not to be trusted, usually messes up more that it does good for you. I tried to like the mavs, but i hate them now, the update changed nothing on my hatred for them. I don't use these hassle missiles anymore, i load up with cbu97, they are hassle free and way more effective. 

If u want to use mavs then just use the mav seeker, don't bother with the slaving to tgp it's too messy. But if u insist then maybe start from the air, for some silly reason they are aligned properly then, where as when you load them on the ground they arent. then u have to do 8 minute ins alignement and 10 minutes aligning the mav's. have fun with that!

(or just get cbu97)