The default view change?

LooseSeal

Hey guys

I saw in Wags' Youtube video that they'd changed the default view, which I was really waiting for as a QOL improvement. But I've just gone to try it out and I'm still stuck with my head up to the HUD like a bad driver. I'm using TrackIR.. maybe I need to reset something on that end??

Or is it not changed for anyone else?

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

according to the changelog the fix didn't make it to the A10C II, just the OG A10C.

I can see the new viewpoint when playing on the OG A10C, but the A10C II still has the "old" view

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

This is ridiculous. I just compared the Hud symbology on the old Hog which has the new view to the new Hog which doesn't have it. On the new view they moved it back. No big deal because I can just zoom in the view a little. I always do that with all the planes I own.

The problem is they messed with the symbology fitting inside the Hud. It doesn't fit anymore. I need to zoom in more and move my head around to see it all. That was the problem before we got the new Hog and that was fixed. Now it's back where we started again.

I'm done. I'll do a fresh install of OB and never install the Hog again. I don't understand why they can't make the Hud on the Hog so we can read it. Maybe it looks good in VR but we don't all use it.

• Like 1

Buzz

• ED Team

These adjustments were made in coordination by the 355th, I even questioned some clipping at the top, and a direct answer from them through Wags was that how it is now is as close as it gets. Thanks

A-10C.thumb.png.a2734455456eb7a6544a480d44613493.png

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Are you using VR because my view didn't look like that? Mine was blocked more. I find it hard to believe that's the view a real pilot has. He'd need long arms to reach everything. Although like I said it's easy to zoom in. It's not the problem.

No matter for me. I'll fly one of the fighters.

Buzz

It's worng to move the viewpoint back - and a criticism of many sim set ups. What you're trying to do is replicate your FOCAL view, which is quite narrow. Here's the test:

Assume that your monitor is roughly the distance between your eyes and the panel (that is, you can just about touch the screen with an outstretched arm). It follows that the object you touch would be 1:1 size on the screen. The UFC, for example, should be the size of the UFC on the screen. In the image above, it's about 2 inches wide on my monitor. Thus the object you're looking at is readable, as it should be, without any zooming. The HUD information will be the size it would be IRL. Remember, we're not talking about peripheral view but FOCAL view.

To look at another point on the panel, you would move your head. In real life, if you were now to look at the gear handle, for example, you would move your head quite a bit to normally FOCUS on it (once again, we're not talking about your peripheral vision). To check your fuel content, you'd look down and right and be able to read it easily.

In any sim, if you can see the whole panel, your view point is way too far back. In the example above, you can focus on any part of the whole panel by simply moving your eyes slightly. In reality, you'd be moving your head quite a bit.

Now, of course, there must be a little compromise here (especially if you have no head tracking). BUT, the problem with assuming that the view above represents a normal focal view, is that the displays and instruments are so far away, you can barely see them. You should not have to zoom in to see information on a display that you would normally be able to read easily IRL.

The final test - imagine you're sat ion the cockpit (and you don't need to be a real A10 pilot). Look at the yellow manual canopy release handles on either side of the cockpit. You'd be moving your head through about 90 degrees to look at these. In the image above, you can simply move your eyes slightly.

Agreed. And in VR the default views don't save between sessions. Also the helmet cueing gets really weird if you move the default view. In some instanced it does not know if you are trying to look at the hud or not.

Agreed. And in VR the default views don't save between sessions. Also the helmet cueing gets really weird if you move the default view. In some instanced it does not know if you are trying to look at the hud or not.

There's a save view binding further down in "view cockpit" which saves what you've set. Very, very occasionally it bugs out and I'll have to re-do it, but for the most part once I set a VR view in a module, I'm good to go. Agreed on yor HMD point though, sometimes I have to to turn it off when rolling in for guns or I'll have a big old SPI icon and other symbology obscuring the target.

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

RIP

I've got the buttons mapped for easy access on a buttonbox, and still can't imagine how annoying that must be to setup everytime. I do smash that save button a good few times after though to make sure it's set.

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

For people saying to make a snap view in VR: why don't you do the same in 2D?

If the real hog (and asked by the 355th to be this way) is like that, then simply change the viewpoint to your liking. I'd rather have it realistic and adapt it if needed than the opposite.

As someone else said, in VR moving the viewpoint screws up the occlusion masks around the HUD and cockpit.

It wasn't the seating position that annoyed me. It was not seeing all the symbology on the Hud without zooming in and moving my head around. Just like it was a couple of updates back.

Has anybody looked at the cockpit in the old Hog since the latest update in OB? That's what is coming for the new Hog.

Buzz

In any sim, if you can see the whole panel, your view point is way too far back.
I disagree with this statement. Longitudinal eyepoint position is only one of the variables which can cause this effect. In your description (for this aircraft), it is the wrong one.

Although like I said it's easy to zoom in. It's not the problem.
In that screenshot it is absolutely the problem.

It's not a problem for me because I zoom in a little for all the planes I own.

Please don't quote me out of context.

I'm installing both Hogs again to make sure what I posted is right. I really want to fly the plane. I may just have to suck it up and deal with a HUD that's a pain to read.

Buzz

No, I wasn't wrong. They not only moved the view back but they spread out the symbology so some of it is blocked now.

To me the new Hog's HUD is just right. You won't like the new view that you can look at in the old Hog and will be coming for the new Hog. ED should stop fixing what isn't broken.

I guess i'll fly the Hornet. The HUD is perfect in that plane and it's more fun to fly.

Buzz

Ok, I am using VR to hop between A-10C and A-10C2 in the Takeoff Instant Mission and the differences are HUGE! Surprisingly you can even see the differences in the screenshot. As VR users know, there is no incremental zoom, so there is no difference regarding that. The metric I used was to look down or up to level the top of my view to the top of the center mirror. Keeping my head still I would then look down the cockpit to see what I could see. Pure science (joking, but it worked).

In the A-10C2 when I looked down (remember VR is basically looking through 2 circles, kinda like binoculars), the bottom of the view rounded out near the bottom outer corners of the MFD.

In the A-10C the bottom of the view rounded out about the CMDS Master Mode Select switch on the right and on the left it was somewhere around that AAR Slipway Control Lever.

Which do I like more? Well, the A-10C, and here is the reason. I don't have to crank my neck ~110 degrees to set the radios anymore because the seated position has physically been moved back (which seems realistic). Unfortunately, a problem that effects both views is the torso height of the VR pilot (or the head height). I feel like the seat is in my lap instead of under my rear. Either that, or the VR pilot is a gnome standing on the seat itself (which looks and feels hilarious if you put the Force IPD Distance to something around 20).

Overall, moving in the right direction, but not at 100%. For sure, the new A-10C view is much more playable and VR friendly due to the most recent DCS update. If I were to increase my height to what I fell would match my torso height is, the HUD completely disappears and I can see the nose of the aircraft. I'll just have to deal with a seat in my lap for now. See pics below.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==​​image_261196.thumb.jpg.18c21f2f46c8b7ebd5df2c80179b64eb.jpg

LeftEyeA10C2.thumb.jpg.8e98d92c459b50e048859bb398ceb826.jpg

LeftEyeA10C.thumb.jpg.8533fe1fc852ecde42a2b87d03d7c112.jpg

LeftEyeA10C.thumb.jpg.b875b38bc0788a1b4f1faad68650d8ec.jpg

The best thing would probably to put a couple of selectable monitor and VR view options in the Special Options tab. If that solves the issue? From memory, all this started with the 3D model/Cockpit update a few years back.

I get that it needs to look correct in VR, but the majority of players are using a monitor. That will not change until VR becomes cheap and DCS engine is optimized to handle VR at reasonable framerates.

The best thing would probably to put a couple of selectable monitor and VR view options in the Special Options tab. If that solves the issue? From memory, all this started with the 3D model/Cockpit update a few years back.

I get that it needs to look correct in VR, but the majority of players are using a monitor. That will not change until VR becomes cheap and DCS engine is optimized to handle VR at reasonable framerates.

Monitor feels just as wrong to me imo. You have to look backwards to tune the radios.

Monitor feels just as wrong to me imo. You have to look backwards to tune the radios.

According to that picture, the radios position is indeed a little behind or at least next to your butt.

a10cockpit.thumb.jpg.0b66dd79d5fb3a602928fd99761d6584.jpg

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

NEW RIG:

RYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)

The position of the radios in the cockpit is perfectly fine. It's the position of the default head and the head action that is the problem. Idk about you, but when I sit straight, but anything that is in line with my butt is beside me, not behind me :D

In-game I am looking over my shoulder to see the UHF radio. Start a A-10C2 Instant Mission, look about 30 degrees down, then +90 degrees left,. you'll see what I mean. This is a pick of what happens when you press those two buttons when starting from the default view.

1693784110_2020-11-0901_06_02-Window.thumb.jpg.2c27a260f16ad3098393cc529f391f4a.jpg