Great patch - thank you!

nickos86

Great job guys. The visual and performance differences in VR and MP are amazing.

Thank you!

• Like 1

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Totally agree, VR visual improvement was noticeable straight away, shadows in particular where solid and consistent. Great job ED

Hardware - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i9 11900kf stock, DeepCool LE520 water cooled, Gigabyte Z590 Gaming X, 64gb DDR4 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3070 TI 8gb, 480gb SSD & 500gb M.2 SSD for DCS World, HP Reverb G1 VR headset, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, throttle & TFRP Pedals.

Modules - A10C II, AH64D, BS3, C101, F5E, F15E, F16C, F/A18C, L-39, M2000C, MI24P, P47D, Supercarrier

Maps - Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Sinai, The Channel

Does anyone have any numbers on the performance? Is it really that much better?

I found more FPS to play with! (no real numbers but ~26 (60Hz) to ~43 (90Hz) - Caucasus/Solo/Day/Calm)

I fly VR only, at 60 Hz, and with all options set to lowest except Textures (Medium), Anisotropic Filtering (8x), Smoke (2).

Since the update I have moved to 90 Hz and changed Textures to High, Water to Medium, and Smoke to 4. Still very smooth, actually, even better than before. Additional option cranking induced stutter and frame loss but I didn't spend a lot of time experimenting

The haze is superb and makes the map come to life (even without shadows). I can now see distant objects instead of blurry smudges.

Unfortunately, too many CTDs; changing MSAA to 2x, flying in mutli-player, snapping head around quickly.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Does anyone have any numbers on the performance? Is it really that much better?

I don't have specific numbers, but yes the difference is quite noticeable: these past few months I had to constantly lower my settings after every major patch to keep the frame rate acceptable, and after this patch I could raise them again. Also, far fewer stutters can be observed.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

The haze is superb and makes the map come to life (even without shadows). I can now see distant objects instead of blurry smudges.

Now you got me interested... still having the Mustang shader mod in there because of that, I guess I'll have to try without now as this was a major game breaker since the Channel map release.

Now if ED would add the "remove baked in reflections" option for all their modules (16 and 18 have it already) and make the labels invisible behind your canopy frame / airframe, I could fly without any mods except for my own control changes.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I couldn't replicate any performance increase with this patch (in VR, Rift S). Tested both, made frametime CPU/GPU measurements doing the same thing on 2 different maps, and the results in stable and open beta line up. Might see a little bit less frametime spikes (stutters) from the GPU, but it could just be a coincidence.

However I did see improvements to the shadows (no more flickering), good job with that. I guess benefits from this patch vary depending on personal hardware and settings.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

Well, this is very strange. I must apologise.

DCS Beta and SteamVR Beta both updated on the same day. I marvelled at the new graphics and gain in FPS.

Since then, however, I have experienced many CTDs (crash to desktops) and so tried to revert SteamVR back to release thinking it may be the issue.

I accidently opted out of the beta for DCS instead of SteamVR but did not notice for a few days. Strangely, however, the graphics and performance changes remained, as did the CTDs.

I can therefore only assume that a Windows Update, SteamVR, and/or WMR for SteamVR are responsible for my performance/graphical gains.

At first I thought the performance was about the same if not a little worse.

I deleted the fxo and metashaders files and yes, all maps perform in a very superior manner..... miracle no but for sure better.

All maps including the channel have improved.

Syria is also better but this map is less responsive than ED maps.

ED maps increase fps as you drop your chopper lower and can only view what surrounds you (View restricted by buildings towering around you or trees)... thus less rendering.

The Syria map reacts less... if at all.. to low level flight that reduces the need for rendering longer range visibility.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I couldn't replicate any performance increase with this patch (in VR, Rift S).

Me neither. And the stutters are back. After some trials, even when cranking the graphics down to Flanker 2.5 level and running Caucasus, I guess I'll have to pass on for a while. As always, it's just a hit or miss with every major update...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

At first I thought the performance was about the same if not a little worse.

I deleted the fxo and metashaders files and yes, all maps perform in a very superior manner..... miracle no but for sure better.

All maps including the channel have improved.

Syria is also better but this map is less responsive than ED maps.

ED maps increase fps as you drop your chopper lower and can only view what surrounds you (View restricted by buildings towering around you or trees)... thus less rendering.

The Syria map reacts less... if at all.. to low level flight that reduces the need for rendering longer range visibility.

Do you delete the entire fxo/metashaders folder, or just the contents?

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

I have a sub folder in the same directory that the fxo and metashaders are found,I rename the fxo and metashader files with a number and then move it to the sub folder (backup just in case there are problems).

then when I start DCS it recreates new fxo and metashader files.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Fly in a small group, we all also noticed an instant and huge upgrade in FPS/smoothness in VR.

We've been slowly pushing up the p.d. in 0.1 increments to see how much more image quality we can get to keep the solid 60fps we like.

We THINK the game is now spreading over more CPU cores but not entirely sure, havn't looked into it that much. Kinda looks like the CPU bottleneck has been reduced greatly.