Is Inheritance possible with Liveries? (Create "child" skins with pilot name)

thornx

Greetings :-)

Does anyone know if inheritance is possible with Liveries? In the DCS Liveries folder, skins are always completely new. The default livery seems to be a fallback.

We are currently creating skins for our wings (50+ skins). The difference between the skins is the name on the cockpit. Since each skin requires 60MB+,.. well quite a lot.

It would be great to use one parent skin and create "child objects" from it. Is that possible?

Is it possible to define a "fallback skin" via the .lua? Or use the textures from other directories?

The only way I know of is to put the parts of the livery that will be reused in the Temp Textures folder in the main folder.

IF ED can put some code to have one in the saved games folder that would be cool.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Yes you can do that. You need to add '../foldername/skin_name' to your lua.

For example:

{"f18c2", 0 ,"../COMMON/F18C_2_DIFF",false}; Where Common is the folder name for all the stuff I don't want to duplicate. Then the 49 other folders just have the file that is customized along with it's lua.

• Like 2

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

Another way...

Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\

Config

in the " autoexec.cfg " (add the lines below for each zipped)

--add the zip file names (ensuring they are not conflicting with other texture files)

usersgpath = os.getenv('USERPROFILE')

table.insert(options.graphics.VFSTexturePaths, usersgpath .. "/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Textures/VFA-15_FA-18C")

table.insert(options.graphics.VFSTexturePaths, usersgpath .. "/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Textures/VFA-11_FA-18C")

in the Texture Folder of DCS.openbeta add the zipped textures (all-in one)

VFA-15_FA-18C.zip

VFA-11_FA-18C.zip

in the description.lua of each aircraft just end it with a " true " argument. since all the files will inside the zipped file

Marvin "Cactus" Palmer

DCS:World 2.5(ob)

Gigabyte Z390 Designare i7-9700K (4.6GHz), 32Gb RAM (3600MHz), GTX2070, 40" 1080p Monitor, TM Warthog, Saitek Rudder pedals,TM Cougar MFD, and an ipad.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone please point me in the right direction to understand how to do just a section (ie. tail, or pilot name as per this thread) in one smaller file?

I decided to try and make some skins for my guys, but I can only see the main files (eg. for hornet:F18C_1_DIFF  to do the names, F18C_2_DIFF to do the tail, and FPU_8A...to do...not sure yet. haha). So editing those files is working for me, but if I can just do name and tail as above that would be great.

Currently it's only the hornet I've done, but looking to do F16 and the files are much bigger.

Edited by chrisgrind

Ryzen 5 3600 | 5700 XT | 32gb | NVME

From my Viggen pack

livery = {

--Diffuse  -----------------------------------
{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_T", 0 ,"../TempTextures/FUSELAGE_T_G",false}; 
{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_L", 0 ,"FUSELAGE_L_43_G",false}; --unique file
{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_R", 0 ,"FUSELAGE_R_43_G",false}; --unique file
{"LNS_VIG_EXT_WING_L", 0 ,"../TempTextures/WING_L_G",false};
{"LNS_VIG_EXT_WING_R", 0 ,"../TempTextures/WING_R_G",false};

}

name = "RAF 43 Sqn Grey"

TempTextures is a folder in the >>Saved Games\DCSVersion\Liveries\AJS37 folder.

uoc46s7.jpg

Edited by joey45
  • Thanks 1

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• 3 months later...

On a related note to this topic: Would it be possible to save even more space by having the base textures set in a common folder as in @Megalax's example and then create some sort of decal layer with transparency for the names for each individual aircraft?

• Like 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

On 4/13/2021 at 4:35 AM, WHOGX5 said:

On a related note to this topic: Would it be possible to save even more space by having the base textures set in a common folder as in @Megalax's example and then create some sort of decal layer with transparency for the names for each individual aircraft?

Not that I'm aware of.

• Thanks 1

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

• 3 months later...
On 4/13/2021 at 9:35 AM, WHOGX5 said:

That would be a REALLY nice touch!