Fw 190 D-9 Dora Engine Bug

River

Happened to me for the first time last night. Recently I had only flown the Dora on Aerobatics and the WWII Damage Model servers without issue. Cold start on the Aero, Air start on WWII Damage model. Both I'd have MW50 on and be able to fly however I wanted without issue, never managed to accidentally kill the engine.

Last night I was flying on Storm of War, cold start, 70% fuel, warmed up the engine and took off (MW50 enabled though I'm not sure if the server had it filled or not tbh). Flew in formation after being airborne for about maybe 5 minutes, temps were perfect, rads were auto, was maybe 2K meters altitude, and ATA was around 1.3 to 1.4 though it was probably less. *CLUNK* engine seized and I respawn and take the A8 instead without issue. Engine was running for maybe a MAX of 10 minutes.

Happened to me for the first time last night. Recently I had only flown the Dora on Aerobatics and the WWII Damage Model servers without issue. Cold start on the Aero, Air start on WWII Damage model. Both I'd have MW50 on and be able to fly however I wanted without issue, never managed to accidentally kill the engine.

Last night I was flying on Storm of War, cold start, warmed up the engine and took off (MW50 enabled though I'm not sure if the server had it filled or not tbh). Flew in formation for about maybe 5 minutes, temps were perfect, rads were auto, was maybe 2K meters altitude, and ATA was around 1.3 to 1.4 thought it was probably less. *CLUNK* engine seized and I respawn and take the A8 instead without issue.

I would blame it on fuel starvation.. it's more frequent when you dogfight or do aerobatics, combined with emptying the rear tank. This is what I personally noticed in the last couple of years or more.

Sent from my Redmi 5 using Tapatalk

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I would blame it on fuel starvation.. it's more frequent when you dogfight or do aerobatics, combined with emptying the rear tank. This is what I personally noticed in the last couple of years or more.

Sorry I'll clarify my post. This was 5 minutes after takeoff, I had plenty of fuel. Engine seized and did not windmill like if I were to run out of fuel.

Sorry I'll clarify my post. This was 5 minutes after takeoff, I had plenty of fuel. Engine seized and did not windmill like if I were to run out of fuel.

Yeah, it looks very random which it might actually be.. something hard coded by a malevolent programmer, call me crazy but I've seen that before..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Not calling you crazy, just paranoid. Malevolent programmer? Pleeze...
Fair enough.. I'm paranoid, but what's wrong with the Dora? We're not ALL paranoid.. are we?

Specs:

Settings:

but what's wrong with the Dora?

Couldn't say. This cruise power seizure thing is something I've not seen myself. Seems to be a common occurrence though, but since it doesn't affect everyone, I'm afraid it's a hard one to isolate and eliminate.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I have experienced today three engine failures, however due to proximity to airfield, I was able to land and repair. Still, its the first time I've ever flown this aircraft that failures like this occurred. First time when flying from Goulet to Mauperitus and cruising at 7 km. I had about 1.2 Ata so certainly nothing that would stress engine or cause overheat since I was cruising at 400+ km/h indicated.

Second time this happened when I noticed a contact and pushed rapidly throttle forward, also engaging WEP. Contact turned out to be friend so I throttled back to 1.3 Ata. After few moments I started hearing weird sounds from the engine, as if metal parts were hitting or shaft was damaged. Not sure. After landing with minimal power, engine on idle was in this limbo of jumping from 0.6 Ata to 0.8 Ata. Little power from engine was available.

Third time after repairing, engine died when I was in a fight with P-47D in spiral down. This time I could say that it was my fault, was climbing aggressively at full power after P-47 and than following loops. However it failed when we were in a spiral and speed was increasing so still weird.

I've been flying D-9 frequently a year ago, than stopped. Returning for a few flights I'm very surprised as to what is happening. I try to warm it prior to flight, not to fly for prolonged periods at full power but still engine failures were much more common than I remember.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Strange that I have not encountered this issue. My engine dies only if I have been in a stupid prolonged dogfight with too much steep low-speed climbing.

Note: I fly with the MW50 switch always in the ON position.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Had several on-line flights with the D-9 yesterday. Reading about the problems and according to DCS-handbook I've been extra careful. Climbing just below 3000 rpm with the cooler a tick below the 100 degree mark, most of the time cruising with 2700 rpm. Climbing > 300 km/h to keep her cool and just a few times full power, below 2 min each.
Three times the engine stopped after ca. 30 min of flight within a second. Cruise flight situation, all data well within limits, no hint, no rough running - just dead. Thx for checking.

(PS: the buggy bomb fuses make that kind of sorties somewhat difficult, too)

Edited by Retnek

"Those who admire me for my 275 kills know nothing about war" Günther Rall

This is definitely a bug, the Dora's engine will now just fail randomly in cruise flight, it started happening a couple months ago and is a change from how it flew for years before that.

Edited by Rolds

On 11/30/2020 at 3:47 AM, Waltan said:

I keep having this problem in the Dora. I have attached a trk of a simple takeoff in SP. This might not be a perfect example as the enigne failed at full power but I had reduced the power for a few seconds just before the failure. The report said "timing error caused engine failure"

D9 engine failure track.trk 1.78 MB · 21 downloads

Checked out the track.  I'm no expert but to me it looked like you cooked your engine.

Ive been flying the Dora a lot lately and haven't had any engine issues.   Done some test thrashing the engine but couldn't make it quit.  

I like to manage engine temp myself and keep coolant BELOW 100deg.

Not saying there isn't a bug, very well could be but i thought i'd bring up the temperature thing as a consideration.

Edit:  I checked the specs for temps and you are actually within working temp range so i had to correct myself somewhat.

Edited by 26-J39
recheck

• 4 weeks later...

I just got the Dora and kept having this issue. I read every guide, and could not figure out why my engine would blow up when its cool, and at 2500 rpm. 

Lo and behold - its a bug. Really frustrating. This happens multiple times daily It is incredibly reproducible. 

• ED Team

Please share a track of your experience, while I can play the track above and see the engine give out, I have not experienced it myself, so please if you see this, give me a track, more data I have the easier it is to diagnose. Thanks.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

8 hours ago, NineLine said:

I tried flying similar to the original post, I even slowed some more this time thinking it might be temps and I was able to climb to 7000m and not an issue, so really don't know what is going on.

1 or 2 patches ago i could get engine seizure at every flight about 30min in to it, when i exit i always got ignition error.

Xpz0bmo.png

But now it seems that problem is gone.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I had the same thing. I was flying for about half an hour at 1.2-1.3 ata without MW50. Before landing i engaged MW-50 and flew a loop. After disengaging mw50 the engine seized. I know it was dumb and i got quite slow, but the temps didnt rise. I uploaded a short clip of the replay file, where you can see the instruments. Maybe it helps here.

Edit: Flight happened on 31.12.2020

Edited by Fliegefisch
  • Like 1